How do you budget?

Kayla Marie

Hello, I was just wondering how some people budget to go to Disney many times a year? I've seen some people go many times in a couple of months and I don't understand how they afford it. Its people my age (20) and they live farther than I do (Virginia) so I was just wondering if anyone on here goes multiple times a year and how do you do it?

Minthorne

In my 20's it was the strip clubs on Saturday nights. I'd tuck all those singles into my Mickey Bank.

Seriously in my 20's I went about every other year at the all star or off property. Now in my mid 40's I have a DVC membership and I use credit card points for free flights. (In my 40's the singles don't rain like they used to!)

Upvote 0

TXDisney

We go atleast once a year and live in TX. Sometimes we go twice a year. We go once bc my parents own a timeshare and we all go. That saves us significant $$$. The trips at the timeshare wind up costing us around $1300 between park tickets and flight for my wife and I. We like to bring too much spending money bc we drink while there, get souvenirs and do a few nicer dinners. So we bring $200/day as spending money. So a trip at a timeshare for 2 of us costs us about $3000. If staying onsite it depends on which resort you stay at on how much more it'll be. We always do a week 8 days 7 nights, so staying at a moderate it costs us an additional $1500 or so. But we like staying delixe too and that costs an additional $3000. But we have done where we've stayed delixe with my sister and brother and kW and since there's 2 beds it sports the price in 1/2, you just lose that privacy. My best advice is to decide how often you would like to go that's in your budget. Let's say you want to do once a year at a moderate resort, that'll cost you around $4500 for 2. If you have kids the daily spending money doesn't change much bc you won't drink as much and won't do really nice dinners as much, but the flights and tickets are additional. So let's say it's $6000. Try to book as far in advance as you can and start saving. If you can do it let's say 10minths in advance that's $600 a month. So you your finances accordingly. Planning is huge to help the money not seem as bad.

Upvote 0

Disneyfreak Jen

I go yearly, and I travel during slower times of the year (Oct/Nov) when prices are lower. I also keep fingers crossed for free dining, it's a big help. I save my change in a huge jar and cash it in shortly before the trip, there's always at least $300 in there. I buy Disney gift cards from Sam's Club, I use these for souvenirs and save them with any leftover balance for my next trip. This year I rented points at OKW and saved a TON of money vs. booking directly through Disney. I also have a Disney Visa, but my trip in October will be the first trip I'm taking since accumulating points, so we'll see how it goes. I'm not a huge eater either. I'm pretty low key. Not much of a drinker, so that also saves money.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

Perhaps those young people have someone funding their trips? Or, they are not saving, but are going into debt? Just thinking of my own 2 sons and how difficult it would be for them to pay for a trip on their own. So, I would not feel bad about what others are doing. You're getting started in your career/school and need to focus on that first. If you can squeeze in a trip to WDW- great!

As for vacation cost-cutting: going off season, using economy hotels, keeping gift/trinket/junk food purchases to a minimum, and eating on the cheap helps. We take advantage of military/employer discounts, split QS meals (more than enough for us both) and limit ADRs to 1 or 2 per visit, take park transportation, and use frequent flyer miles.

As retirees who can easily afford our visits, we are frugal by habit and still choose carefully how we spend our money both at the parks and at home. At home, we eat simply, rarely eat out at restaurants (we like our own cooking much better, taste-wise), buy clothes on sale only, drive our inexpensive cars for at least 10 years before getting a new one, save monthly and invest wisely, and contribute to our church regularly. I have relatives spend $$ like water, but now they complain they can't afford to do anything so I'm glad I have simple tastes!

Upvote 0

parkhopper1213

Hello, I was just wondering how some people budget to go to Disney many times a year? I've seen some people go many times in a couple of months and I don't understand how they afford it. Its people my age (20) and they live farther than I do (Virginia) so I was just wondering if anyone on here goes multiple times a year and how do you do it?
We don't live in Florida to get that type of discount. We go 2-3 times a year and can afford it by: getting annual passes and using the discount by staying at the value resorts and shopping for the best airfare. We do not need a rental car, and we do not buy the dining plan. We budget so much a day for food and shopping.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

We save, budget and plan well. You find there are some who dont mind living with major debt. They go because they want to go not thinking of the consequences of adding debt onto debt. Then there are some who are wise who live their lives to go to disney. They spend very little on themselves just so they can do multiple trips without going in over their head. Anyone can do it with a good plan and will power to save.

Upvote 0

laben594

We go about 5-6 times a year and this is how we do it:
-We bought the annual pass, yes it's a little more. It way worth it if you go a lot
-We always buy groceries, gas, etc. with a credit card so that we can earn cash back. We usually get target gift cards and hold onto them until it's time for Disney and stock up on sunscreen, water, snacks , etc.
-whenever we get extra cash we put it in our "Disney fund" and before a trip we buy Disney gift cards and that's what we use to buy food
-we try not to eat out often, and for "date nights" we just order pizza and watch a movie. Yes, we wish we could eat out all the time but husband and I both agree we would rather save for Disney
-we are lucky that both of our works offer free lunches to employees, so we always eat lunch at work (sometimes dinner too if we work late) and we save a ton on groceries. We can go 3 weeks without going to the store.

I'm only 24 and a newlywed so it's definitely do-able to save up and budget for Disney. Just depends on how much you love Disney. It's my happy place so I will be more than welcome to cutting out a few unnecessary things

Upvote 0

KikoKea

We go about 5-6 times a year and this is how we do it:
-We bought the annual pass, yes it's a little more. It way worth it if you go a lot
-We always buy groceries, gas, etc. with a credit card so that we can earn cash back. We usually get target gift cards and hold onto them until it's time for Disney and stock up on sunscreen, water, snacks , etc.
-whenever we get extra cash we put it in our "Disney fund" and before a trip we buy Disney gift cards and that's what we use to buy food
-we try not to eat out often, and for "date nights" we just order pizza and watch a movie. Yes, we wish we could eat out all the time but husband and I both agree we would rather save for Disney
-we are lucky that both of our works offer free lunches to employees, so we always eat lunch at work (sometimes dinner too if we work late) and we save a ton on groceries. We can go 3 weeks without going to the store.

I'm only 24 and a newlywed so it's definitely do-able to save up and budget for Disney. Just depends on how much you love Disney. It's my happy place so I will be more than welcome to cutting out a few unnecessary things
Are you my lost child? :p
Our 'cheap dates' are $1 Cokes and shared large fries at McDonald's, and during summer it's their dip cones. We use our credit card as much as possible too, paid off immediately, but for Delta miles because we live in Hawaii. But, we're getting a Disney Visa since Costco is dropping AmEx and we are moving to Florida soon. :)

Upvote 0

laben594

Are you my lost child? :p
Our 'cheap dates' are $1 Cokes and shared large fries at McDonald's, and during summer it's their dip cones. We use our credit card as much as possible too, paid off immediately, but for Delta miles because we live in Hawaii. But, we're getting a Disney Visa since Costco is dropping AmEx and we are moving to Florida soon. :)

Do not get Disney Visa!! Trust me, not worth it. You only get $1 for every $100 spent

Upvote 0
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to share this.

Personally, I like using the 52 week money challenge as my primary method for saving up. It's a very easy and effective way to save money. Also, any spare change I have goes into a jar, then into a coinstar machine once it becomes full.

Attachments

• 52weekchallenge-lg.jpg
    52weekchallenge-lg.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0

Kayla Marie

Original Poster
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to share this.

Personally, I like using the 52 week money challenge as my primary method for saving up. It's a very easy and effective way to save money. Also, any spare change I have goes into a jar, then into a coinstar machine once it becomes full.
Thank you! I have never heard of that. I'm glad you posted it I will definitely be using that!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom