How Do You All Do It???????

mereg

I have never been to WDW before and am activly trying to plan a trip for my family of 4 for next year. I see that most of you have been yearly visitors of WDW experience and am curious as to how you do it.

While checking into pricing the average cost of the famed "6 day 7 night" is no where near the price quoted on the telivision even at the value resorts and then that doesn't even figue in airfair from the midwest. All in all the way I have priced it, It will cost some major $$$$$ to get there not to mention eating and the required souvioners for my 5 and 8 year old.

WHAT AM I MISSING?? HOW DO YOU DO IT. It seems to me that even trying to save for a year will only get us transpo and room. Please help with any tricks and tips.
Thanks

scorp111

Well Personally, I recieve these special emails, and if I forward to enough people, then eventually Micorsoft and AOL pay me a lot of money, as they are researching how email is used......

Last year's trip was paid for because I sent letters to 6 other people with 1 dollar in them and they added me to their list.....and so on and so on. 6 months later, I have over $400000.

The year before I sold real estate.... I bought these houses with no money down and before you knew it, I was at the Grand Floridian.

Just like most others, we save. We choose to put money away so we can go on decent vacations, which of late, typically include a Disney park.

Upvote 0

macsmom

How do you lose the tax credit when your daughter turns 17? My son is 22 and I still get it. Next year will be the last year. As long as she is in school and you can claim her, you should be able to get the credit.

Upvote 0

Neverwhere

Everyone's family is different. I don't think most of us could easily compare our situation to someone else's. Family size, priorities and salaries differ and that needs to be taken into account when you see someone with 20 trips to deluxe resorts listed in their sig. So does amount of time/travel etc. needed for a trip. It's going to cost more for someone from CA to go to WDW than it is for someone on the east coast.

My family consists of 2 adults in their early 30's (okay, I'm 29 but close enough lol) who have no children, no plans for children, and average salaries for our area BUT combined with extremely low housing costs for our area (due pretty much to luck). We don't buy a lot of unnecessary things during a given year, we rarely dine out, we rarely buy new clothes, or media. We drive a sensible car that gets decent gas mileage. We don't drown ourselves in bills and debt. Our only responsiblity is taking care of our two dogs and they are both happy and healthy and thus far we haven't had any astronomical bills for their vet care. We also save change and all our various refunds (tax refund, transportation reimbursement from work etc.)

So, our living situation and frugality in our day to day life allows us to be able to take vacations a few times a year. Vacations are a priority. We're both lucky to have flexible jobs that let us take time off whenever we want and not worry about it too much. While I get 2.5 weeks paid vacation (only been at my job for a little under a year), my boyfriend gets 4 weeks (he's been at his 5 years). I also get a weekday off every other week paid as part of a flex time program at my job. So we can look for deals, travel in value season etc. I can't imagine ever traveling in peak season and paying those crazy prices. I only travel in regular season for events such as the flower show or MNSSHP etc.

We also live on the east coast. We are able to fly to FL pretty cheap if we look for airfare deals. My flight home from FL a few weeks ago cost me $55 per person. I forget what the flight down cost, it was slightly more but not horrendous.

We use annual passes because we prefer to go for long weekends (3 or 4 nights usually, sometimes 5) instead of big 10 day trips all at once. That we we can go down a few times a year. The AP gets us significant discounts on rooms at deluxes and okay discounts on rooms at mods and values. It also gets us discounts on other things while we are there. Our APs this year were my birthday gift from my parents (mine) and my birthday gift to him (his).

We never pay rack rate for rooms. If we can't get a good deal on a deluxe,. we'll downgrade, I have nothing against the values. When we are there, we eat cheap, neither of us have big appetites. 3 full meals a day would kill us. :eek: so we eat one sit down and quick serve for the rest. We don't eat a lot of snacks but we also don't stick to a crazy budget either. If we want a cookie, we get a cookie. We also don't buy a lot of souveniers when we are there.

The only really frivoulous thing I will not give up on a WDW trip is towncar service to and from the airport. But at $95 round trip, it's usually cheaper than a cab and makes the start/end of my trip so much nicer. But other than that, when we are there, we don't spend a lot of $$.

So let's review : dual income, no kids, low cost of living compared to salary, frugal day to day living, don't spend on stuff we don't need at home, travel is a priority, live in an area where airfare is not too bad, AP holders who get good discounts and are flexible to travel in low cost season.

That's how we go to WDW twice a year (or more if we don't do any local long weekends around here...we do like other places...but, for the record, a long weekend in a nice B&B in the mountains of NH during fall foliage costs as much if not more than WDW...so there you go...)

My advice to the OP is try to travel off season, look for airfare deals, consider an AP for at least one member of your family if you can get a discounted room, don't rent a car onsite and don't feel like you need to eat at every character meal on the planet to have a good time.

Upvote 0

Neverwhere

Values vs. Mods.

I don't notice a ton of difference. They are both big, spread out and have nice rooms. I think they both have just double beds, not queens. Values do not have towels at the pools. Values do not have a sit down restaurant. Neither have private balconies. Rooms are a little bigger at the mods but not much. Both are clean and quiet. Mods have more to do at the resort such as boat rentals/bike rentals etc. Values do not have pool slides.

For me it would come down to budget and themeing. If you can live without a pool slide, a sit down restaurant and towels at the pool, and don't care about any of the mod's themes, the values are a great deal.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

There is no question a Disney vacation is expensive. Most of us on this site are able to set aside $$ for vacations in our budgets. Some of us set aside a lot, some not so much.

Check out mousesavers.com. On the site, you will find articles on how to do a Disney trip for $1500 and I think there's still one on there about doing a trip for $1,000. These are not ideal situations. But they are doable.

I'd suggest driving. Admittedly, drving from South Carolina is a one-day, less than $100 event. And that's with stopping to eat in a restaurant on the way down.

There are cheaper hotels off site. But if you want to stay on site, definitely chose a value. It will be wonderful.

For a first trip, the park hopper ticket is not needed. And neither is the no expiration option. You will still be able to go in and out of that park during the day and it will probably be a while before you're coming back, so you don't need to save 'extra days' on your ticket.

Defintely plan on breakfast in the room. Frankly, you could eat all your meals in your room if you are willing to drive back and forth. As mentioned elsewhere, there are cheaper souviners off-site.

Yes, it's going to cost hundreds of dollars even doing it as cheaply as possible. If this means postponing it for a year, make it a goal.

It's a very worthy goal.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Well, keep a close eye on mousesavers for discount codes or go w/kingdom for the rooms. We pretty much always stay at values (family stays mod. sometimes). With kids, movies is great. if kids are young, take in snacks in ziploc bags. we strapped a small backpack on the stroller no one ever bothers it. We are in Illinois and most of the time we drive (18 hours if we are good). We bring things from home for in the room snacks and breakfast. If you don't do the dining plan which is a good deal if you can eat it all and will eat it all, I'd suggest breakfasts in room, bring in some snacks or share a popcorn, then have a late lunch buffet style before dinner prices kick in, then have a light dinner & ice cream during parade etc. Our girls each take $100 from b-day, holidays etc. We remind them to look things over to avoid impulse purchases. Usually they end up with a special towel or stuffed animal etc.

I am not saying we have a tightwads trip, we enjoy character meals, buffets, ice creams, photos, postcards etc. I should note I am probably the last stay at home mom without a cell phone! But that $30 adds up to gas for the next trip. same thing with going to the movies or out to eat. Do I really want to go to that steak place when I could go to the Biergarten at Epcot? its all a matter of choices.

One other thing..how long has it been since you had a yard sale? We did one last year and boom there was $450 in the WDW fund!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom