How do Disney count?

Jenna

Original Poster
Forgive me if this has already been asked but whilst I was laying in bed last night this question popped in to my head.

When working out the numbers for a show, how do Disney count how many people have already passed through? Is there a counter that you walk through and don't realise? Is it as simple as someone clicking a counter?

It just confused me a little as I was thinking about when those with Fast passes and Guest Assistance cards are thrown in to the mix. It made me think it couldn't be someone simply counting?

Thanks in advance :wave:

Captain Hank

Forgive me if this has already been asked but whilst I was laying in bed last night this question popped in to my head.

When working out the numbers for a show, how do Disney count how many people have already passed through? Is there a counter that you walk through and don't realise? Is it as simple as someone clicking a counter?

It just confused me a little as I was thinking about when those with Fast passes and Guest Assistance cards are thrown in to the mix. It made me think it couldn't be someone simply counting?

Thanks in advance :wave:
Yes, in pretty much every standard theater-based show there is some sort of counting mechanism in place, whether it be a physical turnstile or a photocell (uses infra-red beams of light to count people as they pass by) or other technology. In very small venues, special events or in a select circumstances, there is a Cast Member using a mechanical counting device. Were there any particular shows you had in mind?

Jenna

Original Poster
The one that I was thinking about when the whole thing got set off in my head was Philharmagic. I don't even know how I got to thinking about it :) Thanks for the info so far.:sohappy:

MissM

The one that I was thinking about when the whole thing got set off in my head was Philharmagic. I don't even know how I got to thinking about it :) Thanks for the info so far.:sohappy:
You go through a turnstyle at Philharmagic; right before you pick up your 3D glasses.

Polydweller

You can see the photocells as you enter an attraction that has them. As you pass through a spot where the line narrows to only 1 person wide look for two dots in the railings (these are usually larger railings). Two dots (beams) allows the system to measure direction so someone changing their mind and exiting can be subtracted from the count while someone entering is added. The first beam broken gives the direction.

Jenna

Original Poster
A turnstyle never even entered my head as being a method of counting! Is that how they work out park crowd numbers as well?

Thanks for the info Polydweller, I shall have a little peek when I next visit the World (possibly 2013...it's too far away :()

JIMINYCR

Photocell beams. :eek: Thats more accurate than what I was thinking. I thought they had figured out approximately how many people could fit into the "holding pens" that we get ushered into to wait for the doors to open. When they cram us in, (Squeeze into every available space) I sometimes feel like I'm being wrangled like the herd of cattle on Rawhide. :lol:

Rob562

Theaters also have "add one" buttons on the console that the CMs use to account for Guests that are let into the holding area through other access points, like a wheelchair going through a side gate or sometimes a Guest holding a smaller child who will eventually sit in a seat.

At American Adventure, you can actually see the counter. After you enter, turn right and it's on the wall next to the door. You can watch the numbers go up as people enter the lobby (and occasionally down when people leave)

I think the largest photocell setup is at the Fantasmic theater. When you get to the top of the hill in the entrance path, everyone passes through a bank of photocells before entering the plaza near the bathrooms. That's how they keep track of the current capacity of the theater.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom