How difficult is the visa situation for Shanghai Disney?

tanc

Original Poster
I've been reading about the visa requirements and they honestly are quite off-putting. I saw a video of a well known Disney youtuber that canceled their trip due to the visa situation. I was just curious about the restrictions and more or less if it's even worth the risk to visit. The particular youtuber was scared of filming and possibly be sent to questioning due to it. While that may not apply to me, it's just something that I'm not sure if just an extreme exception.

I wonder if China will ever lift the restriction, I'd love to see Shanghai but with potential visa issues it gives me second thoughts.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've been reading about the visa requirements and they honestly are quite off-putting. I saw a video of a well known Disney youtuber that canceled their trip due to the visa situation. I was just curious about the restrictions and more or less if it's even worth the risk to visit. The particular youtuber was scared of filming and possibly be sent to questioning due to it. While that may not apply to me, it's just something that I'm not sure if just an extreme exception.

I wonder if China will ever lift the restriction, I'd love to see Shanghai but with potential visa issues it gives me second thoughts.
What’s the issues ?

Lilofan

Some issues maybe a person has a criminal record and or missing documents.

Robbiem

You can have a 144 hour transit visa free through china if you are traveling to a different country (which can include Hong Kong or Maccau). It’s based on staying in one region so you could transit through Shanghai and have a 144 hour stay. It works so long as the country you arrive from is different to the country you leave for.

For example san Francisco- Shanghai (144 stay) - Tokyo - SanFrancisco would be OK so long as tou spend time in Tokyo and aren’t just transiting through the airport

Supersnow84

You can have a 144 hour transit visa free through china if you are traveling to a different country (which can include Hong Kong or Maccau). It’s based on staying in one region so you could transit through Shanghai and have a 144 hour stay. It works so long as the country you arrive from is different to the country you leave for.

For example san Francisco- Shanghai (144 stay) - Tokyo - SanFrancisco would be OK so long as tou spend time in Tokyo and aren’t just transiting through the airport
HK and Macau are not included as destination countries

Your final destination cannot be HK or Macau

Robbiem

HK and Macau are not included as destination countries

Your final destination cannot be HK or Macau
So long as you travel by air Hong Kong and Macau are classified as third countries for visa policy. This site has a handy ready reckoner you can use to check your journey

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Its not the visa situation thats the main issue, its the loosely worded "The Law on Foreign Relations of the PRC (中华人民共和国对外关系法) (the "Foreign Relations Law") " which when applied “relying on espionage organizations and their agents” as well as the unauthorized obtaining of “documents, data, materials, and items related to national security and interests” can constitute a spying offense. Take a picture or talk to someone they dont want you to, you might face charges. Communist China has never lived under the "rule of law". Fǎzhì is "rule by law" which means the instrumental use of laws by rulers to facilitate social control and to impose punishment.

IMDREW

I visited in 2017 on the 144 hour transit visa and then the hotel forgot to scan the passports of me and my brother. It is vital to make them do so or you can report to a police station yourself when you arrive. We did not understand that correctly back then. The next morning the police knocked on the hotel room door and took me and my brother to the station. We sat there for a few hours with a tolk from the hotel (who was terrified). At the end we got a fine of about 40 dollars and a warning. We've travelled much and also visited police stations in countries like the Philippines and Indonesia for our line of work, so we were a bit more familiar with those surroundings than your average Joe, but we were still nervous. When we were let go we asked if we could come again on the 144 hour visa or if we were blacklisted, they insisted everything was in order and we'd be fine. But until this day I've got some reservations about visiting again.

StantonZ

We did this in 2016 (a couple months after the park opened) on the way from Japan->US (we took a cruise). In retrospect, I'm not sure a longer stay would have been worth the hassle, which makes me wonder how many International visitors they get each year. I understand the park was built primarily for the Chinese, but I also know that Disney has a large International following (I see them in Florida all the time), and I wonder if they are just a little bit worried about their Chinese investment in the long term, especially given how things have gone since the virus.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We I wonder if they are just a little bit worried about their Chinese investment in the long term, especially given how things have gone since the virus.
In all fairness SDL was a stepping stone for Iger. Should things get awkward he will possibly loose more face than sleep over it.

BrianLo

I've just gotten the actual visa. The nice thing is they seem to give a multi-visit visa valid for the length of the passport for your second application. It's not that intensive and just requires some time to send off.

Granted this is from a Canadian viewpoint and we now have 10 year passports.

Rush

Its not the visa situation thats the main issue, its the loosely worded "The Law on Foreign Relations of the PRC (中华人民共和国对外关系法) (the "Foreign Relations Law") " which when applied “relying on espionage organizations and their agents” as well as the unauthorized obtaining of “documents, data, materials, and items related to national security and interests” can constitute a spying offense. Take a picture or talk to someone they dont want you to, you might face charges. Communist China has never lived under the "rule of law". Fǎzhì is "rule by law" which means the instrumental use of laws by rulers to facilitate social control and to impose punishment.

Will you ever give it a rest 💀

Rush

Nope, until Xi and other authoritarian heads of China are replaced with at least someone who will engage with there rest of the world on an equitable basis.

You're better fit obsessing over a ride getting rethemed, but I guess you have the time to obsess over both 😁

NelleBelle

My DH traveled to Shanghai for work and he said never again. He said the surveillance is crazy ridiculous and felt extremely uncomfortable. I said I’d go with him if he ever travels for business again—I’d visit SDL while he works. He said it’s not worth it. His visa was more difficult to come by due to his type of work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom