How crowded at Christmas?

dobiedadorf

Original Poster
Hi. We are contemplating a trip for Christmas, 2005. Our tentative plan is five nights, beginning on the 21st, and flying out the evening of the 26th. We would stay at the Grand, book AAA for the unlimited fastpass, and get to DL when it opens.

I know that Christmas is crowded. What I am hoping you can tell me, is how crowded? On our last trip, June of '02, DL was empty when it opened at 8, and we encountered no waits of any length until 12 or so, would head to the pool 1ish, and return in the evening. We had trouble fighting our way through adventureland, but other than that, with getting there early and use of fastpass, the crowds hardly bothered us at all.

What could we expect the week before Christmas?

Thanks--Dobe :xmas:

xfkirsten

Definitely expect it to be much, much more crowded. Back when you last visited, we were in a major tourism slump and the parks were deserted. The mornings are usualy fairly quiet, so getting there early is a plus. But in the late morning/early afternoon the parks will start gettnig crowded quickly. That being said, it's a wonderful time to be at the parks - so pretty, all dressed up for Christmas! It sounds like you're giving yourself plenty of time, which is a good idea. :)

LadyDarling

Count me in with Kristen! :) It's VERY crowded. Back in 1980 something, my family went up on Christmas day. We ended up TRAPPED inside the park, smooshed body to body with everyone else. It was horrible! We got on 4 rides all day, and then went home. It was the 2nd time in Disneyland history that they had to stop selling admission due to PEOPLE JAMS! :)

Now, I don't think it will be THAT crowded when you go, but expect it to be very crowded. With 5 days, you should have PLENTY of time.

I'm not familiar with the "unlimited fastpass" deal. They are unlimited anyway and free with entry to the park. Can you tell us more about the program? If it's a program that is good for a fast pass whenever you want it (ei. inside your window when you're not allowed a 2nd one yet), I'd be concerned that the fast pass lines could become significantly jammed by this (especially in WDW as opposed to DL).

bryon1

Dont forget all the schools in LA and Orange counties will be out on Xmas break. Its funny alot of guests say...hmmm Xmas everyone will be home with family so lets go to Disneyland that day. Its now becoming almost as busy as new years eve.

I agree with the other posts, getting to the park early is the key to your enjoyment. I would try and split the bigger E-tix rides over the 5 days and spend the majority of time hitting the smaller attractions.

dobiedadorf

Original Poster
Lady Darling---please forgive my misspeaking.

I refer, I think, to Enhanced Pastpass. You get this by staying at a resort hotel and booking through AAA. Basically, this allows you to hold multiple fastpasses at once;so you can hold a FP say for Indy, Spash, and Space Mountain all at the same time.

Thanks for all of your kind responses. Perhaps we should reconsider our trip?

ToTBellHop

dobiedadorf said:
Lady Darling---please forgive my misspeaking.

I refer, I think, to Enhanced Pastpass. You get this by staying at a resort hotel and booking through AAA. Basically, this allows you to hold multiple fastpasses at once;so you can hold a FP say for Indy, Spash, and Space Mountain all at the same time.

Thanks for all of your kind responses. Perhaps we should reconsider our trip?
This works at Disneyland b/c there are few guests that stay at one of the 3 Resort Hotels. It would never be feasible at Disney World, but I very much enjoyed it during my trip last year--it's the type of perk they will need to continue to offer to get people to pay those ridiculous rates.

LadyDarling

dobie -
Honestly, though Christmas is one of the most magical times of the year, I would think about going significantly before Christmas if you can swing it. Right now, the weekend crowds aren't horrible, which leads me to believe the weekday crowds will be even more dead. I've heard that right after thanksgiving is empty (and found that to be true in WDW, FL).
And thanks for telling me about that! :) Though I often stay in Disney hotels (well, I haven't recently, but I usually get a couple in a year), I never knew about this benefit! I'll be sure to ask about it next time I call, though I love going off season. Cheaper rates and the lines are so short, you usually don't need fastpass. :)

Kyle -
Thanks for making it all make sense for me!:) Here I was worried it would screw up the system in WDW for my 2005 trip! :) Glad to hear it's not an issue over there.

Disneynutcase

Expect crowds anywhere from moderate to insane. Use your Fast Pass like your life depended on it.

We went to Disneyland on December 27th two years back and it was so crowded you could barely move. Getting in line for something...anything...no matter how long the line...was bliss because at least everyone in line was moving in the same direction. Thick wall to wall people everywhere. It was hell on earth with Fast Passes gone by mid-day from almost everything, return times for Fast Passes hours away, and 90-120 minute waits for any popular ride.

You might do okay on the days leading up to Christmas. But I've been told that everyday Christmas through New Years weekend remains insane.

But that's at Disneyland. DCA might not be as bad...but they don't have even half as much potentially to do and see. So it might be a wash.

If you can go earlier than the 21st (and not Thanksgiving weekend), you'll find better saner parks. Good luck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom