How can I surprie my son?

rkillin

I have been to Disney around 15 times. The first time was in December 1971 at the age of 9. I now have two almost grown daughters, (17 and 20,) and a 7 year old son.

My son LOVES to go camping and we go 4 or 5 times a year. He gets out of school on Tuesday the 6th of June. On June 7th he thinks we are going "camping" for 6 days.

Actually, we are going to Disney staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We are flying From Richmond VA.

My question is, any suggestions of how and when to best surprise him? Two years ago we took all our kids to our favorite Chinese restaurant and had the owner substitute new fortune cookies that we secretly replaced the messages in. Most of them were vague clues, but my son's said, "You are going to Disney World!" It was a pretty special meal.

That is a little tough to top, but I was hoping for some suggestions from the "Church of Disney" (That's you guys)

Thanks

Rick

Raven66

Maybe you can have his favorite Disney character send him a letter. Get someone you know to write it and just sign it as that character. Let us know what you decide to do. Have fun!!

Welcome to the boards!!

Upvote 0

magicfan

How about not even telling him? Let him know you'll be "camping" in Florida. Let him figure it out on his own on the way? That could be fun. See how long it takes him to realize you are "camping" at Disney World

Upvote 0

kcnole

I'm not sure. Does anyone in your family or friends do a good Mickey mouse impersonation. You could have them call and when you answer the phone say it's for your son. Then Mickey could tell him how excited he is to see that he's coming to visit him at Disney World.

Upvote 0

THECARISMINE

Hide a mickey doll in his backpack or whatever he brings camping and have alittle note on it saying see yea real soonbut hid it till before u leave

Have A Great Time :sohappy:

Upvote 0

lazidazi07

The first time i went to the WDW was really magical, because my parents surprised me too.

There is a town in Oklahoma called Disney, where we had a lake home. We were told that we would be going to the lake. So we knew we were going somewhere, but just the lake house. A few weeks later, My parents had me and my younger brother sleep in the same room, and when they woke us up in the morning, there was a HUGE easter basket-type arrangement full of Disney hats, sunscreens, glasses, etc. and then we were off to the airport!

Dont know if that helps, I just thought I would share. :)

Upvote 0

disneygirl746kt

A few years ago, my dad and I had planned on going to Disney with a friend of his and her two daughters. *they had never been to Disney nor had they been on a plane before* The morning we were flying out, we met them at a gas station right outside the airport. *the daughters had no clue their mom had already packed their suitcases to even go to Disney and they just thought they were their to say good-bye to my dad and me for the weekend* Once they got out of the car, we told them they were going to Disney. They had no clue about that.

Upvote 0

rkillin

Original Poster
These are some good suggestions. I know its tough to pull off, but I LOVE surprising my kids with a Disney trip. It makes the journey that much more magical for us.

One time, while living in Dallas, (before my son was born,) my wife and daughters met me at the airport "for dinner" because they thought I was going on a business trip. We had already secretly packed and checked their bags. When they got tho the gate, we handed them an envelop with a certificate that said "you are going to Disney World!" My oldest daughter started balling she was so overwhelmed with emotion.

I will have to surprise him before we leave somehow since we won't be packing the camping gear the night before, he will know something is up. Unless I just tell him we are packing it in the morning.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I will let you know what I decide and all these tips might prove useful for future trips.

Rick

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

You could write down some rhyming clues, each should refer to the next one's hiding place and the last one tells the surprise! My Mother did that to me for my 16th birthday. She convinced me I was not getting a car for my birthday, as we could not afford it. I assumed that since we had been trying to sell my horse, that she had baught me another one. I Started out at my grandmother's.....then went to the house across the street, then on to my house. Then we went a town away to my Aunt's house (this is where we kept our horses). I was sent down to the barn then to the hay barn. The only clue I really remember was something about "Road Apples near the water trough" Thank goodness I was wearing boots! There was a clue in a ziploc bag in the middle of a pile of horse manure! That one sent me across the street for a clue that said "Look far and Wide for something you can ride!" I take it back I remembered another lol. There was a saddle behind a friends house! Of course there were horses in their pasture too which had me more convinced. That clue was something about look for something blue stuck between something that's not 2x2! Another neighbor had 2 jacked up 4x4 trucks and there was a blue tarp between them. It was a '79 Mustang! Woohoo i loved that car. And I loved that hunt that took almost half a day too!

Upvote 0
Yeah, the scavenger hunt idea is fun. My best friend's mom surprised her and her sister back when they were kids, by giving them a clue which led to one house. At that house, there was a helium balloon which they had to pop to get the clue which led them to the next house, and so on...I was the last house, and we had this huge boquet of balloons which they had to pop. The funny part was, we put a blank piece of paper in each of those balloons. They were pretty confused, until my mom said "Oh wait, we forgot a balloon..." She brought it out, they popped it, and out came a "You're going to Walt Disney World!!!" card. It was fun (And I was only mildly jealous of my friend's good fortune ;))

Upvote 0

goofntink

Tell him you are going camping at a new place called the D.L. ROW & YENSID T LAW Campgrounds:rolleyes: ,{WALT DISNEY WORLD}:animwink: but you have to fly to get there. Pack suitcases and tell him that they provide everything you need for your vacation. If he asks what is there to do at the"campgrounds". Tell him they have boats and miles of "trails" to hike,and animals of all shapes and sizes. And of course don't forget, Tell him from what you hear the people who run the camp are a bunch of "Characters"!:D Then let him figure out for himself when you pass the signs saying"Welcome to Walt Disney World"

Upvote 0

Tinkrbell

For my third trip down to WDW when I was 10, my mom surprised my brother, sister & I on Easter morning with a scavenger hunt around the house. The clues led to where our Easter baskets were hidden... in suitcases. Attached to the suitcases were notes that said "You'll need this for your trip to Walt Disney World." We left about 3 weeks later.

Upvote 0

jedimaster1227

rkillin said:
I have been to Disney around 15 times. The first time was in December 1971 at the age of 9. I now have two almost grown daughters, (17 and 20,) and a 7 year old son.

My son LOVES to go camping and we go 4 or 5 times a year. He gets out of school on Tuesday the 6th of June. On June 7th he thinks we are going "camping" for 6 days.

Actually, we are going to Disney staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We are flying From Richmond VA.

My question is, any suggestions of how and when to best surprise him? Two years ago we took all our kids to our favorite Chinese restaurant and had the owner substitute new fortune cookies that we secretly replaced the messages in. Most of them were vague clues, but my son's said, "You are going to Disney World!" It was a pretty special meal.

That is a little tough to top, but I was hoping for some suggestions from the "Church of Disney" (That's you guys)

Thanks

Rick

I'm not sure about how to suprise him about going there, but if you want to make it really special (and you can spare a little extra money), you can take your family to eat in the restaurant in Cinderella's Castle. While you eat, you have an amazing view of Wishes! If you opt to do this, call in for a reservation ASAP.

Upvote 0

rocker

my mom did this to us while we were on a plane to disney.she got the pilot to invite me up front and he gave me a post card with the castle on it and told me to send it to a friend.

Upvote 0

rkillin

Original Poster
My son loves to play board games. Another idea we had was to substitute one of the playing cards for a "You're going to Disney World" card. He loves a Sponge Bob knock off of the Game of Life.

Because I run a web company, I could pretty easily get a card whipped up that looked like the other cards on the back, but had a very different flip side. I thought we could play the game with him the night before we leave and make sure he picks the right card of course.

Another cool choice would be Monopoly and replace one of the Chance cards. "Proceed directly to Disney World" do not pass go, do not collect $200

Keep the ideas coming, this could turn out to be a useful thread if we compile a long list of ideas.

Rick

Upvote 0

TwoTigersMom

There is a local Mexican restaurant that, when it's your birthday, they come out with a big sombrero and sing to you in Spanish. We're planning on going there the night before our trip and having the waiter tease our kids through the whole meal saying things like "I know a secret" and dropping little hints throught. Then at the end of our meal, we'll have them come out with Mickey ears for the boys and yell "Your going to Disney tomorrow!"

Upvote 0

Kadee

goofntink said:
Tell him you are going camping at a new place called the D.L. ROW & YENSID T LAW Campgrounds:rolleyes: ,{WALT DISNEY WORLD}:animwink: but you have to fly to get there. Pack suitcases and tell him that they provide everything you need for your vacation. If he asks what is there to do at the"campgrounds". Tell him they have boats and miles of "trails" to hike,and animals of all shapes and sizes. And of course don't forget, Tell him from what you hear the people who run the camp are a bunch of "Characters"!:D Then let him figure out for himself when you pass the signs saying"Welcome to Walt Disney World"

I LOVE this one!!!! Cute idea!

I wish my daughter did not know we were going! I want to surprise her, now!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom