How can I stop overthinking my ideas?

mharrington

Original Poster
As I have previously mentioned (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/how-do-i-explain-that-my-park-is-fictitious.976059/), I tend to overthink my ideas, mainly because, as someone autistic, I tend to be literal-minded. I realize many of my ideas will probably never actually happen, but you never know.

In any case, one reason I tend to overthink my ideas is because I'm afraid that my ideas will be criticized for not being in the right place, as they were in the past (and also because of "Frozen" being in EPCOT and "The Princess and the Frog" being in Frontierland). For example, when I first tried to do Mickey's Wonder House (or Fun House), I had wanted to do it as a series of vignettes based around old cartoons, sort of like the old Mickey's Madhouse concept for Dumbo's Circusland, which was to have been built in Disneyland way back when. However, since my idea was to have gone in Storybook Circus, my idea was taken in a different direction, where the Disney characters were in a circus setting: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...s-storybook-circus-open-brainstorming.936029/.

When I brought it up to @spacemt354, who came up with the alternate concept, I was told that anything not circus-based first would not fit in Storybook Circus. I was told that my idea for a dark ride about old cartoons would probably fit better in Toontown than in Storybook Circus. Obviously, however, there is no Toontown in WDW anymore, and there is obviously a copy of Runaway Railway (based not on the old shorts, but on the newer 2010s series) being added to Disneyland's Toontown.

That's just one example. How can I stop overthinking my ideas? Because it's apparently a problem here.

ThemeParkPriest

As a fellow person with autism, I know what it’s like to take things rather literally. The thing, though, with a creative medium like theme park design is that it is totally up to you what you design. The professional Imagineers can deal with the practicalities like cost, size, and cohesiveness but let your imagination run free here!

You might appreciate the series Imagineering in a Box, which reinforces the belief that there is no Imagineering idea that is bad (well, maybe a roller coaster that is designed to crash would be bad). Here’s the link: https://www.khanacademy.org/humanit...in-a-box/orientation/a/iiab-about-this-course

mharrington

Original Poster
As a fellow person with autism, I know what it’s like to take things rather literally. The thing, though, with a creative medium like theme park design is that it is totally up to you what you design. The professional Imagineers can deal with the practicalities like cost, size, and cohesiveness but let your imagination run free here!

You might appreciate the series Imagineering in a Box, which reinforces the belief that there is no Imagineering idea that is bad (well, maybe a roller coaster that is designed to crash would be bad). Here’s the link: https://www.khanacademy.org/humanit...in-a-box/orientation/a/iiab-about-this-course
Sorry, but that thing in the link looks like it costs money. Thanks just the same.

Anyway, I'm more of a Dr. Channing type (i.e., controlling the imagination) than a Dreamfinder type. The thing is, I like to ground all of my ideas in reality as much as possible, which is why I'm constantly considering putting my ideas in real parks, usually the Magic Kingdom in Florida, as well as Disneyland Paris. I like to see how my ideas can fit in their spaces before I do them. I like to be realistic.

Another idea I had was a Pinocchio-themed spinner, possibly a swing ride like Silly Symphony Swings or Flik's Flyers/Emotional Whirlwind, but I was told by @MickeyMouse10 that anything Pinocchio-themed has to take the Village Haus into account. It wouldn't make sense to have a ride over by where the Speedway is now, as is my plan, and leave the Village Haus as is. The problem with that location is that it's right next to the entrance to the Utilidors. I like to try and be realistic, but I also like to try and utilize space like the Speedway, which I feel has kind of outlived its welcome.

That's another reason I overthink, is because I want to try and keep as many people as happy as possible, and if someone criticizes my idea, as @MickeyMouse10 does, then I need to adjust it.

mharrington

Original Poster
Anyway, as I had said, I'm more of a Dr. Channing type (i.e., controlling the imagination) than a Dreamfinder type. The thing is, I like to ground all of my ideas in reality as much as possible, which is why I'm constantly considering putting my ideas in real parks, usually the Magic Kingdom in Florida, as well as Disneyland Paris. I like to see how my ideas can fit in their spaces before I do them. I like to be realistic.

Another idea I had was a Pinocchio-themed spinner, possibly a swing ride like Silly Symphony Swings or Flik's Flyers/Emotional Whirlwind, but I was told by @MickeyMouse10 that anything Pinocchio-themed has to take the Village Haus into account. It wouldn't make sense to have a ride over by where the Speedway is now, as is my plan, and leave the Village Haus as is. The problem with that location is that it's right next to the entrance to the Utilidors. I like to try and be realistic, but I also like to try and utilize space like the Speedway, which I feel has kind of outlived its welcome.

That's another reason I overthink, is because I want to try and keep as many people as happy as possible.

MickeyMouse10

Anyway, as I had said, I'm more of a Dr. Channing type (i.e., controlling the imagination) than a Dreamfinder type. The thing is, I like to ground all of my ideas in reality as much as possible, which is why I'm constantly considering putting my ideas in real parks, usually the Magic Kingdom in Florida, as well as Disneyland Paris. I like to see how my ideas can fit in their spaces before I do them. I like to be realistic.

That's another reason I overthink, is because I want to try and keep as many people as happy as possible.

You must do what you feel is right. You can't make everyone happy. Village Haus could always be rethemed to something else if you want to do a Pinocchio land elsewhere. Like what they did in Disneyland with the Red Rose Tavern.

mharrington

Original Poster
You must do what you feel is right. You can't make everyone happy. Village Haus could always be rethemed to something else if you want to do a Pinocchio land elsewhere. Like what they did in Disneyland with the Red Rose Tavern.

I don't want to retheme it. If I did, there would only be Pinocchio eateries in Paris and Shanghai.

MickeyMouse10

How about a replacement for Princess Fairytale Hall? It is right across the way from Village Haus and it would add another much needed attraction to Fantasyland.

Which it needs, to spread out the crowds.

mharrington

Original Poster
How about a replacement for Princess Fairytale Hall? It is right across the way from Village Haus and it would add another much needed attraction to Fantasyland.

Which it needs, to spread out the crowds.
Unfortunately, it's too small for a dark ride. Any dark ride nowadays would probably require a lot more space than it has to give.

spacemt354

Chili's
How can I stop overthinking my ideas?
I understand you analyze and think things through to the finest detail, which is a great aspect to have in imagineering - but when people try to help you either dismiss the help or view it as criticism.

It's very hard to give you feedback when you admittedly say that you like to have control over your projects, but then when you ask for help, claim that you don't want to make the adjustments because you feel it's not your project anymore.

You're bringing up a thread from 5 years ago, and re-reading it I tried to help you build out your concept, and you initially liked the design, but then all of a sudden days later you don't like it anymore because you felt I didn't use enough of your concepts when I tried to incorporate it the best I could.

Which gets back to the point - the best way to stop overthinking is to make things simple.

If you're asking for help, realize you're asking for help because you're stuck, and the help you receive will alter your project.

If you're asking for feedback only, then you still have complete control of your project, but understand the feedback might not fit your specific view of the ride, and people will stop giving feedback if you just dismiss it.

mharrington

Original Poster
It's very hard to give you feedback when you admittedly say that you like to have control over your projects, but then when you ask for help, claim that you don't want to make the adjustments because you feel it's not your project anymore.

How can it be my project if I'm altering it?

You're bringing up a thread from 5 years ago, and re-reading it I tried to help you build out your concept, and you initially liked the design, but then all of a sudden days later you don't like it anymore because you felt I didn't use enough of your concepts when I tried to incorporate it the best I could.

Another reason I overthink is because I'm indecisive. It's hard to just pick one because there are so many good ones.

Which gets back to the point - the best way to stop overthinking is to make things simple.

How do I keep things simple when so many others here speak in great detail on their ideas?

If you're asking for help, realize you're asking for help because you're stuck, and the help you receive will alter your project.

How would it alter the project?

Also, yet another reason I overthink is because I want to try and be like others here, like MANEATINGWREATH, who habitually describes everything in great detail.

I also like to be realistic with my ideas, which means putting my ideas in real parks, usually the Magic Kingdom and Disneyland Paris, and trying to find space for them, which is challenging. But what @ThemeParkPriest told me essentially was to scrap my whole approach and just come up with ideas, no matter how unrealistic they may be, and that's just not how I like to do things. I tend to see unrealism here as a liability and not as an asset.

As I said before, I feel more like a Dr. Channing type than a Dreamfinder. I feel I can relate to Dr. Channing when he flat-out tells Figment, "I say imagination should be captured and controlled." But that's just me.

spacemt354

Chili's
How can it be my project if I'm altering it?
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You say you're indecisive but then when someone offers you an alternative solution you constantly find faults with it and don't implement them because then you'd feel like it wouldn't be your project --- even though you asked for the help in the first place.

So we can go around and around in circles having the same conversation - but what's frustrating is you are a great imagineer with a lot of talent for design.

You are the one holding yourself back by being overly critical.

mharrington

Original Poster
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You say you're indecisive but then when someone offers you an alternative solution you constantly find faults with it and don't implement them because then you'd feel like it wouldn't be your project --- even though you asked for the help in the first place.

So we can go around and around in circles having the same conversation - but what's frustrating is you are a great imagineer with a lot of talent for design.

You are the one holding yourself back by being overly critical.

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm pretty sure that real Imagineers can be critical sometimes, too.

My being overly critical stems from the fact that I have too many good ideas, and in a perfect world, Disney or otherwise, I would simply implement them all. But the fact is, in reality, there are limitations as to what can be done, for better or worse. And I like to be ultra-realistic in my ideas. Because in the real world, you have to be realistic.

That's one reason why I can't help but shake my head at the myriad Roger Rabbit stuff that @DisneyFan32 does. I love Roger Rabbit, but I'm also realistic enough to know that that time has sadly passed.

Being unrealistic is just not something that I'm comfortable with. It was the very reason why I had proposed doing a "disclaimer" thread on my other Disney park, because unrealism bothers me. It's also for that reason that reason that I don't partake in "alternate" timeline threads. It's also the reason that I did a thread on redoing Journey Into Imagination, but within the same confining space as the current post-2002 iteration: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...nation-on-a-budget-open-brainstorming.979104/.

I overthink, I'm overly critical and I hold back for one reason: I like to control my imagination and not let it run wild.

spacemt354

Chili's
Why create a thread titled 'How can I stop overthinking my ideas?' if you're going to reply to the suggestions to justify why you overthink things?

It seems like you don't want to change so by all means continue to do what you feel is best.

mharrington

Original Poster
Why create a thread titled 'How can I stop overthinking my ideas?' if you're going to reply to the suggestions to justify why you overthink things?

Because I need a way to get it off my chest and not just bottle it up inside indefinitely.

It seems like you don't want to change so by all means continue to do what you feel is best.

What I feel is best may not be what someone else feels is best. When I brought up a new idea for a Pinocchio ride by where the Speedway is now, @MickeyMouse10 in particular told me that anything Pinocchio-related absolutely has to take the Village Haus into account, or it wouldn't make sense. When people tell me that my idea doesn't make sense, even though I think it does, I tend to assume they're right, or they wouldn't have said anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom