How big are the drops on Flight of passage?

JimW

Premium Member

danlb_2000

Premium Member
@egg is correct, based on the video shared on the Pandora Spoiler Thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/pandora-spoiler-thread.926032/page-11#post-7710399

The second half of that video is from outside of the ride vehicle, and clearly shows elevation changes of well over several inches. 10 feet seems more accurate.

It's probably somewhere in between. This was discussed in the FoP thread and it's likely that the drop feel larger then they really are since the physical motion is enhanced but what you see on the screen.

Kman101

There's no true PHYSICAL drops. The vehicles remain attached to the floor, there's no height involved. The screen envelopes you and the room and like Soarin' and Star Tours you're given the illusion that you're flying. There's simulated dropping and flying. It's incredibly well done. I have a minor fear of some heights (I've gotten so much better and it's a lot of mind over matter) but this didn't bother me at all. A few parts I winced a bit from the simulated heights but wow what a thrilling ride.

flyerjab

The platforms that the link chairs are on definitely does drop, but it is only 5 or so feet. I turned around the one time and could clearly see it happening. You can even see the mechanics of how it does it when you are walking out of the link chair room. Where the exit doors are there is a separation between that wall and the wall of the link chair room itself. There is clearly an arm inside that is used as part of the mechanism for lowering and raising the entire link chair platform. The ride is really well done.

Kman101

The platforms that the link chairs are on definitely does drop, but it is only 5 or so feet. I turned around the one time and could clearly see it happening. You can even see the mechanics of how it does it when you are walking out of the link chair room. Where the exit doors are there is a separation between that wall and the wall of the link chair room itself. There is clearly an arm inside that is used as part of the mechanism for lowering and raising the entire link chair platform. The ride is really well done.

Really? I didn't even feel a physical drop!! lol it's that smooth I guess.

Trek

A question for those that have ridden Flight of Passage, is the ride jerky? I would love to ride it, but I had a cycling accident and hurt my back in three places. I can ride Sorin' fine, but not a ride like dinosaur, or even the safari trucks (rough). If the motion is not jerky, I am fine. Thanks!

Magic Feather

A question for those that have ridden Flight of Passage, is the ride jerky? I would love to ride it, but I had a cycling accident and hurt my back in three places. I can ride Sorin' fine, but not a ride like dinosaur, or even the safari trucks (rough). If the motion is not jerky, I am fine. Thanks!
It is very smooth, but, since a restraint pushes your back rather snugly, it might not be ideal for your injury. Be sure to try the test seat when they get it installed.

Kman101

You are squeezed in fairly tightly with the back restraint. It wasn't too bad ... and after moving to the second link chamber after the first one wouldn't start running, they had to push on one of my leg restraints but it wasn't my doing it was the restraint itself, so we'll see how things go moving forward.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There's no true PHYSICAL drops. The vehicles remain attached to the floor, there's no height involved. The screen envelopes you and the room and like Soarin' and Star Tours you're given the illusion that you're flying. There's simulated dropping and flying. It's incredibly well done. I have a minor fear of some heights (I've gotten so much better and it's a lot of mind over matter) but this didn't bother me at all. A few parts I winced a bit from the simulated heights but wow what a thrilling ride.

In the second half of this video you can clearly see the up and down movement of the seating area...

Texas84

The back restraint was different each time I rode. I learned to sit back a bit when it deployed so I could have some extra breathing room. One time it was a bit tight but forgot about it once the ride started.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Be sure to try the test seat when they get it installed.

For those curious, at least as of my trip in early August, while the test seat is still there in front of the ride, the actual back and leg restraints have been removed from the test seat. My assumption would be is that this is because they have made some adjustments to the restraints and the number of people the are turning away from riding has been significantly reduced (eliminated?) making the need to allow people to see if they can be properly restrained unnecessary and the seat is now just there to allow people a general idea of how you ride. (then again, I could be completely wrong and the restraints on the test seat could be back already... hopefully someone who has been there recently can either confirm or deny).

Adam N

For those curious, at least as of my trip in early August, while the test seat is still there in front of the ride, the actual back and leg restraints have been removed from the test seat. My assumption would be is that this is because they have made some adjustments to the restraints and the number of people the are turning away from riding has been significantly reduced (eliminated?) making the need to allow people to see if they can be properly restrained unnecessary and the seat is now just there to allow people a general idea of how you ride. (then again, I could be completely wrong and the restraints on the test seat could be back already... hopefully someone who has been there recently can either confirm or deny).
The restraints never left. You need a cast members assistance in order to unlock the restraints.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I JUST got off of this ride and I hate drops on rides, this ride only has a few slight drops (emphasis on slight) only to simulate you dropping in the ride but not enough to give you a stomach dropping feeling. The ride is exceptional!!! I highly recommend everyone to go on it!

I do several times. I liken the feeling to the small drops on dino rama

The direct up and down motion is very slight. It gives you air-time by first throwing you upwards and then dropping out under you and catching you just about two feet lower. That gives a longer air-time than a straight drop. Then it further strengthens the illusion with a small pitch forward and the movie showing you diving downward. The 3D/4D effects greatly enhances the relatively small movements of the chairs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom