How bad do gas/fuel prices have to get?

Gravydeen

Original Poster
How bad do gas/fuel prices have to get to start noticably affecting Disney attendance? What happens if due to war or something gas prices spike to $4 a gallon. At $3 a gallon now it does not seem to be having an effect.

sbkline

I heard that gas is supposed to get up to $4 a gallon this year. I don't know how bad it will have to get. But if it does get that bad, some people might just choose to fly instead of driving.

barnum42

How bad do gas/fuel prices have to get to start noticably affecting Disney attendance? What happens if due to war or something gas prices spike to $4 a gallon. At $3 a gallon now it does not seem to be having an effect.
Thread drift - to make you maybe feel about paying $3 a gallon.

It's already topping the equivalent of $7 a gallon here in the UK. Thing is, the raw material costs us the same as it does you. The difference in price is a stink load of tax.

The government want to stop people using cars, but instead of providing us with a viable alternative they just tax the snot out of fuel and are investigating expanding congestion charges (it costs $15 tax just to drive into London). And we have to pay an annual "road tax" just for owning a car - to the tune of about $200 to $400 depending on the car.

We'd love to be paying only $4 a gallon.

cmatt

It's already topping the equivalent of $7 a gallon here in the UK. Thing is, the raw material costs us the same as it does you. The difference in price is a stink load of tax.

The government want to stop people using cars, but instead of providing us with a viable alternative they just tax the snot out of fuel and are investigating expanding congestion charges (it costs $15 tax just to drive into London). And we have to pay an annual "road tax" just for owning a car - to the tune of about $200 to $400 depending on the car.

ahh the joys of motoring... talking of which i get my car in september :sohappy:

Siege898

I don't think gas prices will ever have a great effect on WDW attendence unless something drastic happens. While talking about gas though, I will say, the HESS in WDW at the exit to MK has some of the lowest prices around. As an Orlando resident, I usually try to fill up there. Those of you that think Disney inflates gas prices there, its quite the opposite --- its still < 3 dollars a gallon, where elsewhere around there is 300-350 a gallon.

dolbyman

I say learn to live with it

here in germany the gallon costs 5,44€ (6.53 $)

so buy smaller cars and use fuel wisely :wave:

barnum42

I don't think gas prices will ever have a great effect on WDW attendence unless something drastic happens.
But it could be argued that with the hike in fossil fuel prices (both oil and natural gas) the cost of living is rising a lot faster than inflation figures state.

Here inflation is supposedly running 2%. However in the last year natural gas has had price hikes of over 50% and electricity is not far behind. That will eat into vacation funds of a lot of people. Add the recent rise in interest rates and instead of being able to fly to America, Britons may have to make do with a trip to the continent or just stay at home.

WeLComeHomE OKW

FYI, for all of you who said that you should fly. Planes need fuel too, the higher price of the fuel, the higher your airline ticket. :D

I completely agree. If you look at current plane prices, depending on how many ppl are in your group, driving can be much much cheaper. My family is from Chicago, we drove this last trip...and saved hundreds. Even though it was a huge drive, it was well worth it.

barnum42

I completely agree. If you look at current plane prices, depending on how many ppl are in your group, driving can be much much cheaper. My family is from Chicago, we drove this last trip...and saved hundreds. Even though it was a huge drive, it was well worth it.
I was looking at flight prices and found what looked a good deal until I say the equivalent of a $100 fuel surcharge!

As for driving - whilst not something I can do from the UK, I have made a big interstate drive from Boston to Atlanta and back. I'd still prefer to fly and spend a few hours travelling in the air rather than two days travelling on the ground.

bears163

how much did you pay a gallon like 3 years ago. did you not already pay more than us already. just trying to compair your price increase to ours.

bears163

I say learn to live with it

here in germany the gallon costs 5,44€ (6.53 $)

so buy smaller cars and use fuel wisely :wave:

that is a great point. but to bad all the extra money i have each month goes into my gas tank. so now i have no extra money to buy a new car. & IMO its not the millage of these big cars that is the problem. they have always been around. its the dam oil companies that are making huge profits while they can before it comes to a point that we don't need oil as much & they are stealing from the working class.

dolbyman

here it's half/half

half the oil companies (strange that all fuel station raise the price when vacation times begin) and half the taxes

germany finances the pension payments with the fuel taxes

Nut4Disney

If the price of fuel goes up, airline prices will too as they have to recoup the added fuel costs. One of the differences between England and Germany compared to the U.S. is that the U.S is much more spread out and requires you to drive further to get somewhere, add to that the fact that only major cities here have mass transit systems and you see why we rely on cars so much. I'm not saying it's right, as our country should focus on providing more public transport, to cut down on fuel consumption. Where I live in the Cincinnati area, there are no trains or subways, and buses just cover certain areas and not all of suburbia.

Boray

I AGREE!! We drove last year, at the end of October, when gas prices, although not quite as high as they are right now, were still inflated due to the hurricanes. Our round trip gas price was less than $400!!! There are 4 in my family. To fly and rent a car would cost us over $1300. Currently, my family has more available time than money, so I'd take the much cheaper driving than flying right now. We're going again this October and even over $3.00/gal we'll still pay less than $500 round trip in gas (by my best estimations). That's still a lot less than flying. Besides, the view of the mountains through Kentucky and Tennessee is really beautiful. My kids actually prefer to drive there over flying (and my kids are 4 and 7)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom