Hotel / Villa for large groups?

Philo

So, this isn't going to be happening for three years (and by that time it'll be 9 years since I visited WDW!!!) but it's never too early to get over excited by planning. So, hopefully this trip will be for about 16 people (6 kids, 10 adults). I've only ever been to any Disney resort as a couple so I'm not really sure what the best bet is for groups.

One one hand, the idea of getting a villa somewhere in Orlando seems like a good idea (everyone can stay together, lots of room, easy to prepare our own food when not eating at the parks etc), but I would always prefer to stay in Disney property because of the various benefits they offer.

SI know that staying off-site means we'll need to pay for parking (which could get quite expensive with such a large group), that we don't have any extra magic hours and that technically we shouldn't be visiting the hotels which I always enjoy, but is there anything else I should know about.

I suppose what I really want to know is:
1. What's the best way to get large groups of people in WDW property (and by best I mean cheapest but with the convenience of a villa)
2. Has anyone else staying in a villa? Any thoughts on if this was good / bad?
3. Aside from parking charges and no-extra magic hours, is there anything else I should know about in terms of downsides to staying off-site.

Good to be back here with questions again rather than just lurking!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The best way to do what you want on property is by renting DVC points. This will still be more expensive than renting a house off property, but it will get you on property at a considerably better price than booking the same accommodations directly through Disney.

The other downsides to staying of property would be no DDP, package delivery, DME and having to rent a car or rely on off property shuttles.

Upvote 0

Philo

Original Poster
The best way to do what you want on property is by renting DVC points. This will still be more expensive than renting a house off property, but it will get you on property at a considerably better price than booking the same accommodations directly through Disney.

The other downsides to staying of property would be no DDP, package delivery, DME and having to rent a car or rely on off property shuttles.

Thanks! I hadn't thought about renting DVC points - I'll take a look at that.

The dining plan doesn't really bother me but with absolutely worth keeping in mind as it'll probably make the trip cheaper for those with kids.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

For a party that big you will almost definitely need to look offsite to stay cheaply. Even renting points for a 3BR villa (capped at 12 people) would cost about $6-7k for a week. Renting points for 2 2BR villas would potentially be cheaper, maybe $4-5k. But no guarantee you will find renters with that many points. And even going off property, you may still be paying similar prices for a single property. You may need/want to look at splitting up into 2 or more houses.

You would probably need at least 2 mini vans (don't they seat 8), possibly a third just to handle your luggage. So you would need to add those costs, plus parking into your numbers.

Upvote 0

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
Ever thought about just getting multiple rooms at a value or moderate resort?
Personally, I agree...I'd go for multiple rooms at a value and stay on property. If you must go offsite, when we visited that other park, we stayed at Sheraton Vistana Villages and found it to be very nice and comfortable.

Upvote 0

MaryMcMagic

One of the biggest challenges with large groups is timing. When you stay off property and renting cars, everyone has to leave to go TO the park together and leave to go back to the hotel/rental together. When you're dealing with children, adults, older adults, it's rare to all be on the same time table. Being on property gives everyone the flexibility of leaving for the parks when they are ready and want to, being able to take an afternoon swim, sleep late, stay out late, etc. if they so desire. For that reason alone, I'd stay on property.

Upvote 0

piglet1

I have a couple of friends who discovered that renting a couple of two-bedrooom DVC villas in Old Key West was cheaper than renting mutiple hotel rooms in a Moderate, plus you get a full kitchen with pots, pans, and dishes, a dishwasher, full size fridge, and a washer&dryer. The two beds sleep a ton of people since there is also a sleeper sofa and a sleeper chair in the living room, along with a King in one bedroom and two Queens in the other. Plus all the on-property amenities

Upvote 0

Disvillain63

We've never had a problem renting 2-Bdr Villas using DVC points. If you need two 2-Bdr. Villas or more, you might have to rent from multiple owners, but it can be done.

Upvote 0

Philo

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice everyone!

I personally like the idea of getting multiple rooms at a single resort, but as this is a big family trip there is a bit of a bias towards a villa as it's more sociable. If we staying in individual rooms getting together means invading some-ones hotel room or making an effort to get everyone to gather in the same place at the same time. That said though, I think it would be a more relaxing experience all round as everyone can do their own thing but still get around in smaller groups.

The travel arrangements to and from the parks when staying offsite is going to be an issue and I can see us needed 3 or 4 cars between us at least, which is just crazy.

Lots of time to think about all of this and gather prices / options I guess. Time to open up a spreadsheet and get researching!

Thanks again all!

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

Everyone staying under one roof always sounds like a good idea but I know from experience it can be a bit much with a big group. Staying at the same resort but in multiple rooms gives everyone space and flexibility but maintains the feeling of togetherness.

Upvote 0

Rob562

I second the vote to look into two 2-bedroom villas. Your cheapest option would be Old Key West.

You could also save a little money and rent a 2-bedroom and a couple of studios. It would still give you someone's villa with a living room/kitchen/dining room to congregate in, though with kids involved it's important to know that there's no such thing as connecting Studio units.

For an example week in September 2014, two 2-bedrooms would be $6076.
A 2-bedroom plus two Studios is $5166.
If you could fit everyone in, a 3-bedroom Grand Villa (5 beds plus the sofabed) would be $4886.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom