HOT weather clothes

dinkyandbaby

Original Poster
Many of you know how hot Florida can get in June and July. With many of us planning to stay during these times, I need some tips on hot weather clothes! Last year it was so hot for me, almost unbearable. I was even wearing a cropped white tank top and SHORT shorts. Not normally what I would wear, but it got down to it.
What would be the best option for clothing for a maximum cooling effect?
Nike workout gear?
Tacky tourist shirts?
Also, what are the best colors to wear?
What do you recommend for hats?
Any advice helps! Thanks so much! :happy:

Navy Brat

Just keep in mind that summer in Orlando is hot and sticky, and there's really not much you can do about it. We always wear hats (baseball caps generally, but a floppy hat will work if you don't plan on going on any rides), and I try to wear loose fitting clothes - no jeans, leggings or tight pants! Flip flops or sandals are good, too, but make sure they are comfortable and that they won't be damaged if they get wet (Crocs are a good example). While it is very hot and humid, the temperature rarely goes above 90 because of the afternoon thunderstorms that cool everything off. Believe me - there will be times when you will be thrilled to see the storms roll in!

Tourist shirts are fine, and the colors won't really matter - you will be hot no matter what! Don't worry about how you look, as long as you are comfortable and won't mind getting your clothes wet (by sweat, water rides or thunderstorms). I am always amazed at people wearing tight, expensive clothes and stumbling around in heels. Really?? Personally, I like long sun dresses (below the knees), which are comfortable but long enough that I can get on and off rides without too much trouble. Some people wear bathing suits under their clothes, which works just fine, as long as everything that should be covered stays covered. This especially works for kids, who are most likely to jump in fountains or hang out in splash zones.

It is best to take bottled water and just try to stay in the shade as much as possible, and duck into shops to cool off in the air conditioning as often as possible. Definitely hit the parks right when they open to avoid the worst heat of the day, maybe head back to hotel to cool off in the room or by the pool until after the storms come through (usually around 5 or 6 p.m.), then back to the parks at night, when it usually is a lot more pleasant.

Chef Mickey

Nike Dri-Fit, comfortable shoes, and plenty of water. Also wouldn't hurt to get in shape before leaving (or just in general).

It's not that hot in Florida...rarely over 100 and the humidity isn't that bad.

If you can run a mile in < 7:00, I'd say you won't have any problem.

Weather_Lady

Actually, wearing skimpier clothing (e.g., tank top and short shorts) -- especially if they contain non-breathable fabrics like polyester or spandex -- can make you feel hotter than if you wear fuller-coverage clothing that breathes. In a tank top, for example, your sweat just pools on your shoulders and in your armpits -- in a breathable top with short sleeves, it gets absorbed and wicked away from your body. (Locals in tropical climes put this principle to work all the time -- ever notice how when you visit someplace like India or the Caribbean, everybody's wearing long pants, button-down shirts and hats in the heat? They're doing it in light colors, and breathable fabrics, and staying cooler as a result than if they were wearing less.)

My suggestion would be to either go full-on vacation wear in breathable, natural fabrics, in styles that offer some protection from the sun (chambray rompers or sundresses -- no polyester, no spandex, etc.!, lightweight cotton maxi dresses, linen button-downs and bermuda shorts), or if your personal style is more sporty, to opt for athletic wear that doesn't necessarily look like athletic wear (e.g., golf polos and skorts). Steer toward light colors if you want to repel the sun even more, and if you're a "hat person," by all means adopt a crushable floppy hat or a straw fedora with a decent-sized brim. If your hair is long, wear it up, or braid it, to keep it off of your neck and shoulders.

Last edited:

mouse_luv

Many of you know how hot Florida can get in June and July. With many of us planning to stay during these times, I need some tips on hot weather clothes! Last year it was so hot for me, almost unbearable. I was even wearing a cropped white tank top and SHORT shorts. Not normally what I would wear, but it got down to it.
What would be the best option for clothing for a maximum cooling effect?
Nike workout gear?
Tacky tourist shirts?
Also, what are the best colors to wear?
What do you recommend for hats?
Any advice helps! Thanks so much! :happy:

We've been going to the World for a few decades and have pretty much been there in every season. Summer is tough because that is when it is the hottest and it's hard for you to stay cool no matter what you do. I have to disagree with a previous poster, the temps definitely get above 90 before it rains and with humidity it sometimes feels like it is 115 degrees or more (as it did this past mid-June when we were in the World and I know this for a fact from checking real feel on my weather app). The rain doesn't always help cool it down either, it usually makes it more sticky and humid.

So, what do I suggest wearing? Anything that breathes: Wicking and breathable sports gear like running shorts(athletic looking ones not the tight spandex looking ones), tops (like from Nike, Under Armour etc..). Socks that breathe and comfortable, broken in running shoes (make sure you alternate shoes though to reduce blisters etc). Comfortable sandals are ok but nothing like Old Navy flip flops and the such because those aren't going to cut it in the Parks. We wear baseball caps (light colors as not to draw the sun in as much). Also, many people use Frogg Togg Chilly towels in the Parks to help alleviate some of the heat on necks, etc like this: http://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Chilly-...srs=12734534011&ie=UTF8&qid=1451507860&sr=8-9 That is just one example if you do a search you can find all kinds of colors etc. Walmart sells them now too. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Frogg-Tog...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n
Hope this advice helps! :joyfull:

Last edited:

DfromATX

If you do wear a tank top, make sure you put sun block on your shoulders (and face) or wear a hat. Also, the humidity completely flattens my hair so I always put it up in a ponytail. That alone is why I could never move to Florida!

Ali Mouse

Live in South Texas and when you go you will feel like home! JK
My main thing is a comfortable- broken in pair of air walk flip lops. I wear the same pair every time I go. If my feet feel cool the rest of me does too!

ekutchey

We go in July and August every trip and yes it is hot but we find it is hot at home (Michigan) then as well so might as well be hot at one of the best places to explore! Personally I enjoy shirts and shorts or skirts made out of the wicking material. Target and Kohls have a lot of these types for all people and sizes. I also love my flip flops as soon as the weather changes here in MI but I do not wear them at the parks while they maybe cooler I find sandals to be much to unsupportive to wear on those long walking days. I love the Skechers GoWalk shoes I find them to be so comfortable and breathable and they dry super quick when wet. I personally so not wear socks with them but you can.

DfromATX

Live in South Texas and when you go you will feel like home! JK
My main thing is a comfortable- broken in pair of air walk flip lops. I wear the same pair every time I go. If my feet feel cool the rest of me does too!

I'm from Texas too. I think the difference is that at home we don't really go outside when it's that hot, but if you're at Disney then you don't really have a choice and you're outside all day. It's hard enough just walking from the air conditioned building to my car in the afternoons, almost sucks your breath away.

Schneewittchen

I do a lot of traveling, hiking, camping, etc., I'm not just a disnerd. So I tend to go with traveler friendly stuff that will work in the desert, at the beach, or marching around in damp, humid woods.

I usually go with knit tops and skirts or dresses made out of the high-performance wicking material or cotton/linen blends. Columbia Sportswear, REI, Eddie Bauer, Royal Robbins -- it's the casual sort of stuff I might wear for a light day of walking or hiking. Basically, stuff that's lightweight, breathable, drapey, dries quickly and has some UV protection. And Keds sneakers. Though I'm thinking about bringing my runners this year as well. And a ball cap. The mouse ears usually only last for about the first hour.....

White or pastels are a good bet.

Kristamouse

I like the yoga style dresses with a built in bra. May sound crazy but I am much cooler in dresses and skirts than shorts. I don't mean super short skirts but above the knee/ low thigh length.
I have two performance fabric style dresses from Sobu I wore in Septemeber of 2014 with 100+ day time temps and was as comfortable as possible.
We are headed back in 26 days and am trying to figure out what to pack for chilly temps!

MissM

Any sort of dri-fit or moisture wicking shirt is best. (Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008917OYM ) I also like to wear some loose board short type shorts that also are quick to dry. (For example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CTRY3DW )

The biggest problem is that you will not only get hot and sweaty, but you don't dry out because it's so humid. Regular cotton (and even more so, denim!) will just stay a damp, soggy mess and you will be uncomfortable. By taking advantage of the quick-drying properties of those types of athletic wear-based items, you can dry out in a few minutes in a shop or inside attraction line. It really helps with the comfort factor.

Whatever you do, DON'T FORGET YOUR SUNSCREEN! And reapply often. Our UV index is higher here than elsewhere. Even if you don't burn where you live, you will here.

Victor Kelly

Light colors like tans, light grey, whites. Light fabrics, cottons, and under armor. Hats, wide brimmed and ventilated. Sunglasses, plenty of suntain lotion.

surfsupdon

I'm a guy, and on those hot hot HOT days I were a pair of boardies with a tank top and flip flops.

Oh yeah, and I leave the parks by 11 and don't return until 5/6ish. That's when you relax at the pools and swim a lot.

Missymoe4

I agree with a lot of posters replies. This past summer we were in Epcot and cm's swung by in France telling people they should take shade or go inside, that it was over 103 degrees already. I typically go to WDW in the summer and just deal with the heat. I know I'll be hot and sweaty all day, so cooling towels and comfy clothes are a must. We tend to visit the parks early in the morning and head back to our room t swim and sleep in the afternoon. I used to be a gym shoes only girl. This year I found Birkenstock and fell in love with them. One unexpected outcome of wearing Birkenstock sandals: I was a whole lot cooler. Now, most people are probably not like me, and don't have super sweaty feet. So perhaps having the ventilation under my toes helped. I did not wear them every day (I did change into my sneakers some days).

As a side note, last Thanksgiving I went to WDW and thought it would be awesome to not sweat in Disney. I quickly wished for the warm weather. Riding BTM was not too much fun on a 37 degree evening :(

Matt_Black

I don't care what the temperature is. I wear long pants as much as possible. Now, when it's really hot, ideally, I'd like a light, breathable pant like khaki trousers or something loose fitting, but I can and will wear big thick jeans when it's 100 degrees outside.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
When I'm at the parks I wear dri-fit or light fabric shirts with cargo shorts. Both are always lighter colors. Short white socks and comfortable sneakers on my feet.

Also when it's particularly sunny, I wear a pair of sunglasses with a strap.

OH! And STAY HYDRATED!

NiarrNDisney

Pack a Chill-Its cooling towel! They can drop your temperature to a more bearable temp and once they are wet they stay cold for quite some time and only need a little water to reactivate it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom