Horizons

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Waxing rhapsodic about the ever-grieved masterpiece, especially in light of the daily crush that is EPCOT's withdrawal into vapor. Dramatic but that's where I am. If by chance you didn't have the pleasure of experiencing it, @marni1971 has some painstakingly comprehensive videos to watch on YouTube. And for those of us who were able to ride, we can all watch, light an orange scented candle, and cry into our scotch and sodas.

Virtual Toad

Waxing rhapsodic about the ever-grieved masterpiece, especially in light of the daily crush that is EPCOT's withdrawal into vapor. Dramatic but that's where I am. If by chance you didn't have the pleasure of experiencing it, @marni1971 has some painstakingly comprehensive videos to watch on YouTube. And for those of us who were able to ride, we can all watch, light an orange scented candle, and cry into our scotch and sodas.

Thanks Parker for posting this-- and thank you Martin for your skill and undying dedication to preserving EPCOT's heyday! It means more to so many of us than you will ever know.

My wife and I discovered Horizons during our honeymoon trip(s) to WDW nearly 25 years ago. Has it been that long? Tonight my 12-year old son will be staying up late, because instead of finishing his homework, he sat with me to watch and learn about a ride he never got to see in person, but wishes was still around today.

And though I'd seen Horizons in person dozens of times, your video taught me so much about the ride that I never knew. Bravo and cheers!

muddyrivers

In addition to Martin's video filled with history, facts, and details, the guys at the RetroWDW podcast released AI Enhanced video of a Horizons ride thru. It is probably the best quality you will ever see (at least for another 10-15 years as video enhancing technology improves :p)

And for those who are interested in the nitty gritty details of what and how this was all accomplished: https://www.retrowdw.com/imageworks/horizons-revisited-behind-the-edit/

It's quite an extensive read but cool nonetheless

WDWFanatic

What a great ride that was. I do miss it alot.
Im sure some of you have seen the behind the scenes videos taken by Hoot and Chief. Great footage.

spock8113

A little flashback of early Disney theme park rides BEFORE coming to DisneyLand/World

Disney Goes to the World’s Fair:

It’s a small world:

Disney’s Ford Magic Skyway:

General Motors with some familiar Disney stuff:

Carousel of Progress 1964

JIMINYCR

God....When I see posts like these, I think.... how many of us would flock to a park that was comprised of all our favorite attractions that are now extinct. There are sooooo many that gave us thrills and memorable moments that remain forever in our past. I also think of the ones I never got to take in that others did who relate to us how those that are gone were judged outstanding.

Jon Good

I was working at Test Track at that time when they were tearing down Horizons to build Mission Space. It was a sad day to see it go. At one point they had three bulldozers trying to pull down the center portion of the building. It was so strong that the wire ropes snapped so they had to find another way to take it down. You could have dropped a bomb and the building would still be there. Before it closed I worked there and rode it many times. I still miss Horizons.

stewdog1

I was working at Test Track at that time when they were tearing down Horizons to build Mission Space. It was a sad day to see it go. At one point they had three bulldozers trying to pull down the center portion of the building. It was so strong that the wire ropes snapped so they had to find another way to take it down. You could have dropped a bomb and the building would still be there. Before it closed I worked there and rode it many times. I still miss Horizons.
But but but, i thought that the building was collapsing anyway :D

Skibum1970

I miss Horizons too. I will say I am more impressed with Imagineering back then than I am now. It feels like all they do now is slap IP and call it a day. A good example is the new Spiderman ride. They took Midway Mayhem and slapped Spiderman on it.

From the looks of it, Midway Mayhem is still a better ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom