Horizons vs Mission: Space

Better ride?

• Total voters

Chicken Guy

I find it an unfair comparison since these are two completely different rides. MISSION: Space gets a bad rap just because it replaced a classic and is far more thrilling than the average park guest can handle.

vikescaper

I went with Horizons only because it was a classic that should have been updated instead of torn down. As a kid, I loved the chose your ending. Mission: Space is a fun ride but it feels like the pavilion is missing something.

DisneyAndUniversalFan

Original Poster
Fine, but, the point of my original post still stands.
you should still contribute
Alright! Here's mine:

Horizons, by far. One of the most inspiring, captivating, and best Disney attractions of all time. Horizons was educational as much as it was entertaining.

Mission: Space has an interesting concept, but is nothing more than a ride.

Jon Good

I worked at Horizons just before it closed and then I was at Test Track watching Horizons being torn down. It was a sad day watching the demolition. Horizons was built really strong, i remember watching as three bulldozers had wire ropes trying to pull the center section down the wire ropes snapped and they had to find another way to tear it down. I also worked at Mission Space when it opened and many guests were coming off sick. I wonder why the built Mission Space as it took many more cast members to run the attraction, Horizons only took 5 or 6.

I might be the one person on this website who isn't nostalgic for Horizons. I found it the least interesting of the pavilions at Future World 1.0, and its vision of the future was already dated by the end of the 1980s. Maybe if they tied it in more closely to Carousel of Progress (the animatronic fathers in both appear to be the same model), lightened the mood a little, and included better music (should have used the Sherman Brothers!), my opinion would have changed.

If anything, something like Horizons should have occupied the globe of Spaceship Earth, because Horizons had no specific theme beyond "the future". Hence, it would have served as a better introduction to the park than a ride about the history of communication. Instead, plopping it in a far corner of the land made its general theme of "the future" appear redundant.

...although, in retrospect, the light-speed progression of communications technologies has been the defining feature of the time period between Epcot's opening and the present day. So maybe Spaceship Earth as we have it was a prescient choice after all to introduce the park.
I see where you’re coming from but spaceship earth is the better centerpiece for Epcot (imo) because it poetically illustrates the importance of communication amongst nations (world showcase) in order to better understand one another, and move toward the future. (Hence why it’s so visible throughout the park). I see it as a statement that future world only exists because we were able to communicate and we are able to understand each other as a global community through communicating.

I see where you’re coming from but spaceship earth is the better centerpiece for Epcot (imo) because it poetically illustrates the importance of communication amongst nations (world showcase) in order to better understand one another, and move toward the future. (Hence why it’s so visible throughout the park). I see it as a statement that future world only exists because we were able to communicate and we are able to understand each other as a global community through communicating.
And of course this was more representative of the old narrative of the SSE before the 2007 update.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom