Hoop Dee Doo?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Right. And it certainly isn’t delaying dinner theater. Medieval Times is open.

I’m honestly curious to see if it returns. It is such a remote location to get to. I think the Luau is an easier sell. Just wish the show was more compelling. I liked it as a kid.
I don’t think there’s a great chance of getting either back

definitely not hoop dee do...but I’ve been wrong before

Disone

Right. And it certainly isn’t delaying dinner theater. Medieval Times is open.

I’m honestly curious to see if it returns. It is such a remote location to get to. I think the Luau is an easier sell. Just wish the show was more compelling. I liked it as a kid.
Hoop was always the better selling of the two remaining dinner shows. Even with Luau was dark two days a week it was always earsier to get a reservation. Hoop made money, I suspect it will return mostly the same as it was. But just a guess.

Brer Oswald

News to me. Any one have any details on this?
There was an interview with a black content creator and the site that shan’t be named. His complaints seemed well justified. Still, seems like more of a job for the cast diversity training. But they could always use these guest experiences as reason to do away with the show (while the real reason is $).

If there’s issues with the actual show though, I need to be reminded.

tpac24

It was one of the few things under fire for racism at the beginning of June last year. Guess people just forgot about it?

Hoop is racist?

It was under fire, more so than Splash (prior to the Splash announcement).

If I recall correctly, it was more an issue with how the servers and cast were treating guests rather than the show itself?

There was an interview with a black content creator and the site that shan’t be named. His complaints seemed well justified. Still, seems like more of a job for the cast diversity training. But they could always use these guest experiences as reason to do away with the show (while the real reason is $).

If there’s issues with the actual show though, I need to be reminded.
Sighhhh when everything becomes racist nothing really is!

Disneyson

I believe there is a problematic segment in the "Davey Crockett" finale of the show in which an audience member is encourage to dress up like a stereotypical Native American sidekick. They are given a feather headband are encouraged to fold their hands and "whoop". Cast dressed as bandits shoot at this audience member's feet and encourage them to "dance". I believe there is some whooping by some of the female chorus members, when Davey "saves" the ingenue from a fate of being chased by the natives, whom later tie her up. There is a reverence to the "Indian wars" in the song and a painted teepee unfurls from the ceiling.

Changing this would be in line with the elimination of the native sequences in Jungle Cruise as well as the deletion of Peter Pan from the children's section of Disney+/content warnings.

I love this show, but this segment needs to be heavily altered. If it would save the rest of the show, I could see this turning into a similar-in-spirit recreation of "Woody's Roundup" with audience members cast as bit parts - swap out one IP with another. Or else just take the cringe-worthy characters out of the current show.

I also feel that the portrayal of Hawaiian natives in the Spirit of Aloha show by not-always culturally native Hawaiians might be salvaged by saying that we are in "Motunui", and the show could be re-framed as a celebration of Moana's successful voyage, taking pieces of the Hong Kong Disneyland show ('let us recount your story', ala Enchanted Tales) and layering in the existing performances as "gifts from neighboring islands". Increases diversity of acts, too. Or like, drop Stitch in. Just please take out the portion where the girl takes her top off and suddenly the guys are like "wow what a babe", it's really hard to watch with a modern lens.

I usually hate hate hate IPification, but something really needs to be done with pieces of these dinner shows to make them palatable again.

P.S., All this discussion of Broadway at the Top makes me wonder why they haven't done some Disney on Broadway version of that show yet, the Festival of the Arts clearly shows that the Broadway performers are a huge draw.

Last edited:

muddyrivers

The only thing that needs to be done is people need to stop finding things to be offended about. It's not like the show pulls up a Native American person and casts them in the Indian role. The whole Davy Crockett "play" is done in jest.

Is it offensive to Davy Crockett that we depict him as wearing a coonskin cap? It was Fess Parker who started that portrayal. As far as I know Davy Crockett himself never wore one.

Is it offensive to bears when someone dresses up in the bear skin and has to play dead pretending to be a bearskin rug?

Should we stop having a woman come on stage to dress as the can-can dancer because that's a sexist depiction?

I think the majority of visitors to Hoop Dee Doo not only enjoy the show as is, but continue to come back because of how different the show is than other live action shows at the resort. I can't think of another show where they come walking through the audience and interact with the guests throughout the show which people seem to love.

MadTeacup

The Character shooting at the Indian Scout's feet has been discontinued ever since the Pulse Shooting in Orlando. It's still a problematic moment, however. They need to revamp the audience participation segment entirely. I believe there may also be issues with the way Clare de Loon is feminized (such as during the Hokey Pokey.) This is a fairly easy fix. The real question is, how much revenue does the show draw and does it justify changing the script to fix some cultural insensitivity. Honestly? My guess is yes, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Animaniac93-98

The Luau is another example of Aulani vs Poly. Both resorts have one, but It looks like the Aulani one is better?

Royal Pacific at UNI has one too. I can't speak to how all these shows compare.

Disneyson

The only thing that needs to be done is people need to stop finding things to be offended about. It's not like the show pulls up a Native American person and casts them in the Indian role. The whole Davy Crockett "play" is done in jest.

Is it offensive to Davy Crockett that we depict him as wearing a coonskin cap? It was Fess Parker who started that portrayal. As far as I know Davy Crockett himself never wore one.

Is it offensive to bears when someone dresses up in the bear skin and has to play dead pretending to be a bearskin rug?

Should we stop having a woman come on stage to dress as the can-can dancer because that's a sexist depiction?

I think the majority of visitors to Hoop Dee Doo not only enjoy the show as is, but continue to come back because of how different the show is than other live action shows at the resort. I can't think of another show where they come walking through the audience and interact with the guests throughout the show which people seem to love.
Yes, it's done in jest, most Disney entertainment offerings are created in order to create a sense of fun. Minstrel shows of their time were also done in jest. The portion of the show with "indians" is essentially a minstrel-style portrayal of the race. I think the majority of people in America find minstrel shows racist, and have for a long while. In fact, pulling up a non indigenous person is, at least in my view, much worse.

Bears are not a race. Davey Crockett does not represent a marginalized race (he was white), and even so, nothing about him wearing a raccoon on his head connotes that everyone in his race is stupid or evil. The can-can audience member that is called on stage in the show is not requested to do anything untword, nor does the character represent the entirety of femininity.

I never said we should get rid of audience interaction. I even proposed a version of the show that would preserve it. Removing this particular small segment of the show would not damage the story arc of the production, nor would it, in my mind, make the show any less fun.

I am not offended personally by the character, but I also have the sense to realize how simplifying an entire race to being a villain that goes "woo woo woo" or a big dumb oaf that exists to cry for a white man's death might make people upset. I'm sympathetic to that, and watching the show made me uncomfortable. And if they are able to bring back the show with small edits, I see no reason why Disney should keep making certain races feel uncomfortable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom