hoop-dee-doo VS mickeys backyard bbq

Jess G

Original Poster
@DisneyJoe We were originally going to do spirit of aloha one night and trails end another night but I'm now considering combining the dinner show and the BBQ and leave room for a different type of dinner another night.

EvilQueen-T

Imo hoop de doo seems more inclusive age wise. Others may disagree but we went with a group from age 6 - 50 and we all had a good time. We did it a year ago in January at the early seating then afterwords went over and did the campfire and sing along with chip and dale making it a whole evening event instead of running back to the parks. It was a great break from all the hustle but still felt like we were doing something disney not just hanging out at the hotel feeling.

Jess G

Original Poster
Imo hoop de doo seems more inclusive age wise. Others may disagree but we went with a group from age 6 - 50 and we all had a good time. We did it a year ago in January at the early seating then afterwords went over and did the campfire and sing along with chip and dale making it a whole evening event instead of running back to the parks. It was a great break from all the hustle but still felt like we were doing something disney not just hanging out at the hotel feeling.

This is a no park trip so feeling the disney is definitely important to me!

DisneyWall-E

Hoop Dee Doo for the win. Every time I have seen an actual pole done on HD vs. another dinner show, HD wins by a lot. Every time.
Not to say some people don't hate it . Because, I have seen those posts too.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Hoop Dee Doo! Me and the hubby must do it every trip. And an added perk it's indoors so it's fully cooled or heated and no worry of it being canceled due to weather. ;)

Last edited:

Schneewittchen

Another vote for Hoop Dee Doo. My family has done both shows.

Mickey's Backyard BBQ is great for non-traditional character interaction. It's the only time we've ever been able to dance with the characters. My kids loved it, but the food was meh (burgers, etc.) and it's a serve yourself buffet. And it's outdoors under a pavilion, so hot with bugs is a risk. Still, it's fun and worth it if you love Mickey and Minnie.

Hoop Dee Doo has much better food (ribs and fried chicken) served family style, especially the strawberry shortcake. Great service. I seem to recall from a few years ago having a waitress that said she was an original castmember. It was almost like having dinner at Nana's house. Anyway, the show is terrific old-school Disney and appeals to kids and adults. I've got reservations for a show next month because DS7 wanted to go see it again.

If you go to Hoop Dee Doo, try to get seats on the main floor, that's where all the action is.

Zipadeelady

I'm going to be jealous if you go to Hoop De Doo!!! I actually thought about going too but with the Signatures were going to try I just can't spend that much for another dinner!!

I'm voting for Hoop De Doo too! We did Mickey's Backyard BBQ a few years ago and although it was nice I've wished we would have done HDD instead and we still haven't made it there yet.

Minnie Mum

Another vote for HDDR. Much better in almost every way. As already mentioned, you're INSIDE instead of having to deal with heat, humidity, and the elements at the BBQ. The food is better (chicken &ribs instead of burgers and hot dogs). The show is great for all ages- old fashioned vaudeville style singing, dancing and comedy. Oh, and did I mention the AYCT drink beer, wine, and sangria?

The BBQ is aimed mainly to families with young kids who want to interact with the characters.

Disney Stine

The fiance and I randomly booked Hoop Dee Doo this past Friday after finding out I passed a major exam to be able to become licensed in my field. It was a fantastic place for a celebration! My fiance wasn't thrilled with what was on the menu before we arrived, but after we sat at our table and they started the show, we were so consumed in everything. We had an amazing time (especially enjoyed the white sangria). In comparison, we also tried Ohana (not a dinner show) during the trip, and Hoop Dee Doo still won between these two family style dinners.

21stamps

I think I read they have a vegetarian option of pasta and marinara sauce. I know that's not the greatest either, but at least it'll be something to eat!
That's good to know! Do they serve salad with the meal? If so I would be happy to just eat that. I felt horrible for wasting so much food at Whispering Canyon.. ordered the skillet, pretty much only ate the salad and bread. I did eat mashed potatoes from the actual skillet though.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
That's good to know! Do they serve salad with the meal? If so I would be happy to just eat that. I felt horrible for wasting so much food at Whispering Canyon.. ordered the skillet, pretty much only ate the salad and bread. I did eat mashed potatoes from the actual skillet though.
Yes they serve a salad with the meal, and cornbread, mash potatoes, baked beans, corn, strawberry shortcake etc. And it's all delicious. :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom