News Hook and Ladder Co. and Silver Dollar Six Bands to Leave Disneyland Park

VJ

Original Poster
The site-that-shall-not-be-named is reporting that two of Disneyland's bands, Hook and Ladder Co. and Silver Dollar Six, will be leaving Disneyland on September 18.

On September 18th, 2018, Disneyland will say goodbye to two of its “breakout bands”. These are bands that were founded by former members of the original Disneyland Band that play in various areas of the park. These are a byproduct of the cancellation of the original Disneyland Band back in 2015, which was replaced by the entirely new Disneyland Band group for the park’s 60th anniversary.

The Hook & Ladder Co. on Main Street U.S.A. perform at the firehouse at unadvertised times, often interacting with characters such as Chip & Dale or Cruella De Vil. They’re a nod to the early Walt Disney Studios band made up some of the Nine Old Men: the Firehouse Five Plus Two.

The Silver Dollar Six in Frontierland performs jazzy hits in the Golden Horseshoe, or out on the balcony of the establishment.

No replacements have been announced for either offering.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I saw this announcement and it didn't make me very happy. The live music and one of my top favorite things about Disneyland. My husband told me I should write them a a strongly worded letter of my disappointment. I don't think it will make much difference.:confused:

Phroobar

Maybe they can go to Knotts and work with these guys.

r3NvI3I.jpg

UaknT8o.jpg

wdrive

I remember when they made the new Disneyland band and made a big song and dance about not firing any of the old band and how they were all moved to these smaller bands so they could keep their jobs...

Phroobar

I know Krazy Kirk & the Hillbillies at Knotts makes a joke about how they are famous or something. Occasionally there is joke about a certain mouse.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Now, do we know for sure they are being fired/layoff? Or is this just like last time where they disbanded (no pun intended) and everyone panicked and said the sky was falling, but really they all came back together in the form of new bands....

GiveMeTheMusic

A couple things could be happening here, and I have not asked around to get information on it so treat this as the speculation it is.

These bands are made up of largely older men who have been working at the park for decades. When the Disneyland Band was refreshed in 2015 to make it peppier and more modern, more breakout bands were created to give the old-timers who couldn't or didn't want to do choreography somewhere to work. It's very possible that enough core members of these groups are retiring that disbanding them makes sense. In that scenario, anyone remaining would be reassigned where possible.

Fall is often when entertainment changes occur due to budgeting or popularity, so it could be those issues as well. The budget could be cut or reallocated elsewhere, or research showed the groups weren't particularly popular or effective. Other breakout groups are remaining, so this isn't a sky is falling situation where all the bands are being cut.

Anyway, just something to think about.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

A couple things could be happening here, and I have not asked around to get information on it so treat this as the speculation it is.

These bands are made up of largely older men who have been working at the park for decades. When the Disneyland Band was refreshed in 2015 to make it peppier and more modern, more breakout bands were created to give the old-timers who couldn't or didn't want to do choreography somewhere to work. It's very possible that enough core members of these groups are retiring that disbanding them makes sense. In that scenario, anyone remaining would be reassigned where possible.

Fall is often when entertainment changes occur due to budgeting or popularity, so it could be those issues as well. The budget could be cut or reallocated elsewhere, or research showed the groups weren't particularly popular or effective. Other breakout groups are remaining, so this isn't a sky is falling situation where all the bands are being cut.

Anyway, just something to think about.
So its not because they aren't based on a pre-existing IP?? Phew.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom