Honeymoon resort- down to two choices(AKL or WL)???

redkenwolf

My fi's parents are offering to pay for our honeymoon as our wedding gift. We are leaving on January 6th 2003. We have narrowed it down to two resorts AKL or WL. What do you suggest. Also we are getting the Discovery Magic package which has choices. What do you suggest??? Any other romantic advice??? This is my third time to WDW and my Fi's first. I'm so bad at making decisions please help. :brick: :confused: Thanks.

Maria

Just because it is new and inside of a park, are enough reasons to choose AKL. I have only heard good things about it. :animwink:

Upvote 0
i have to say, i just got back from a stay at the wilderness lodge, and it was by far the most beautiful and romantic place i've ever stayed. can't comment on animal kingdom lodge, as i've never stayed there, but i would stay at wilderness again in a minute. oh, and akl has bus transportation to everything, wl has boats to the contemporary, ft wilderness and magic kingdom. both are on somewhat isolated ends of disney property, but because of the transportation i would assume akl feels more isolated. also, do you think you would make more numerous visits to animal kingdom or magic kingdom, because you'll be closest to one or the other depending on which lodge you pick.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Maria
Just because it is new and inside of a park, are enough reasons to choose AKL. I have only heard good things about it. :animwink:

AKL isn't in AK. The savannahs at the resort are totally seperate from the ones at AK.

Upvote 0

Invero

Tough choices... both the WL and AKL are beautiful resorts. My advice... if you can get a Savannah View room, go for AKL... otherwise, go for WL... :)

Upvote 0

Javier&Christie

I haven't stayed at either, but I've had dinner at both of them (relatives staying there and such..)

Personally I love the design of the Wilderness Lodge, and the fact that it's on the Seven Seas Lagoon is a real plus for me too :)

Upvote 0

Maria

Originally posted by DisneyInsider

AKL isn't in AK. The savannahs at the resort are totally seperate from the ones at AK.

but you are not that far, no? I would choose it just because it is brand new then! *shrug* :D

Upvote 0

tikiman

We just had our engagement trip July 2000 and our honeymoon July 2001 at the Polynesian and it could not have been better. Every day we had a surprise in our room and by the end of the week we ended up with two huge flower arrangements and two bottles of champagne. We had the best view of the castle in the MK and the transportation from the Polynesian saved us so much time going from the resort to the parks.

Here is my web page with pictures from our trip and info on the Polynesian.

http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/index.html

My next choice would be the AKL

Steve

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

My vote is for WL. There are lots of places to get away and be alone.

You can rent bikes and ride to Ft Wilderness, or there are walking trails through the woods.

How about the beach at night, watching the Electrical Light Parade?

The balconies are small, but big enough for 2.

Even though you aren't alone, there is a wonderful lobby with very comfy chairs for people-watching.

We stayed on the 4th floor, and there was a mini-lobby with rocking chairs, a checker set, and a writing desk.

I must admit that I haven't been to AKL--just saw the Travel Channel show about it.

My impression of WL is that there are lots of private spaces scattered throughout an 800-roon resort.

Upvote 0

agdbeanie

I say AKL.
If you want ideas for romantic things to do at WDW, buy the book "Walt Disney World for Couples" I bought if for my honeymoon and it was great. There are so many ideas for romantic things and places.

Upvote 0
We stay at Wilderness Lodge all the time and love it -- including our honeymoon in December '98 / January '99. It has many romantic ammenities. The big fireplace with rocking chairs is wonderful for enjoy an evening warm drink and relax when you get back from the parks (it gets pretty chilly at night in January). We liked that the hot tubs aren't really in view of the pool, which makes them cozier, and with the villas next door with their own hot tub, you're more likely to find a tub empty. They have AWESOME room service, especially for breakfast and two fantastic restaurants, as well as a decent buffeteria (I strongly recommend the apple oatmeal, but get there early because they only make one batch and it goes fast!) And the boats to MK are so nice, especially in the evening! And if you're lucky they'll still have their Christmas decorations up -- it's even more beautiful!

I strongly recommend trying to get a honeymoon suite instead of a regular room -- they aren't that much more a night because they're very similar to a regular room and there's no concierge service, but they have a jacuzzi tub for two. There are only four of these honeymoon suites and they are on the top floor of the resort. The doors overlook the lobby.

I liked AKL, though we haven't actually stayed there, and while it would be cool to get up and see the animals out your window, it just doesn't seem romantic to me. But maybe some else could fill you in better on that one.

Upvote 0

Mr. Toad

Actually, we found AKL to be romantic. There was something special about standing on the balcony together and watching the animals (especially the giraffes). The subdued lighting and relative remoteness of AKL (it's not really that far out there) added to the romantic feeling.

I have not stayed at WL but I have heard nothing but rave reviews of it also. I would say it really comes down to what you prefer - the Northwest, American frontier feel or the African Savanah feel. I personally prefer the theme at AKL.

Like Tikiman said earlier, the Polynesian is a great place to consider too. We stayed there on our honeymoon in 1986 and it was fabulous. Of course we both like the South Pacific theme so it worked out well for us :) .

One thing I will agree with is the transportation. The buses at AKL ran exceptionally well but they just aren't as romantic as boats or monorails.

Upvote 0

redkenwolf

Original Poster
Thanks, another question then...

Thank you all for your replies. Since I did not stay at a WDW resort the last time two times I went to WDW I don't really know where they are located or what is good about them. I heard something about a seven seas lagoon???? What is that exactly, and does that mean there is a beach near by? Sorry if these are stupid questions. Thank you for answering them.

:wave: :lol:

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Correct me someone if I'm wrong here, there is a lagoon by the WL, it's accross from where the Contemperary is. This is what they are referring to.

On the hotel choice, that's a hard one. Both hotels are quite stunning. They are both designed by the same architect, and if you see pictures, they have a lot of contruction similarites, exspecially the expansive lobbies.

I've never stayed at WL, but we did dinner there on night, and spend a few hours walking around. Now this was about 8:00 pm, but I found the lobby quite loud and very busy. Maybe we were there at a busy time. However, outside was calm, not too many people, and a nice romantic place to be.

On the other hand, we did stay at AKL. I love that resort. It too is ussaly quite, and I didn't find the lobby and inside areas to be as loud and busy (except around the two resturants). And it can be just as romantic at night if you walk around.

We will continue to go to AKL, and I'd personally choice AKL over WL, but they are both great places. Hard choice. Why not do a few days at both?

Upvote 0

tikiman

Go to my link in my posting above and you will see the Seven Seas Lagoon and the beaches of the Polynesian Resort. All the monorail resorts are on the Seven Seas Lagoon as well as the Magic Kingdom. The WL is on Bay Lake.

Steve

Upvote 0

agdbeanie

The Seven Seas Lagoon is the body of water that the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, Contemporary and MK entrance are around. You take the ferry boat from TTC to MK across the lagoon.

Upvote 0

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Both are large resorts, but I felt WL to be the quietest with the most "away from it all" feeling--even though it really isn't. Being from Maine, we were hesitant about staying at WL (it's like being in our own backyard). We were worried we wouldn't feel like we were on vacation, but boy were we wrong. The place just oozes ambience. So does AKL, but it felt really busy there. The views were spectacular, and so was the design of the hotel. So I guess it's down to what you prefer. Our choice will always be WL from now on.

Upvote 0

Mr. Toad

That's funny. When we ate dinner at Artist Point (great restaurant) I thought the Wilderness Lodge seemed rather busy compared to AKL. :lol:

Upvote 0

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Yea, I'd have to agree with you here Mr Toad, WL seemed busy compaired to AKL. While it was quiet outside, there were alot of people walking around, it was darker along some of the paths, so you just couldn't tell how busy it was outside.

I think most of the people at AKL were in their room looking at the animal from the their own balconies, so I think that cut down on a loarge amout of people outside.

I sat out around the pool several nights, and the most I saw were a family or two playing in the pool. Even the bar outside, and they had sports games playing on the tv, only had one or two people sitting around.

Quiet, relaxing and African animals...what else could you ask for? :D

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom