Honest Resort Feedback

MrWizard

My wife and I go to WDW about once a year and we allways stay off property because of cost. We are going for a week in May for our anniversary and we are thinking of staying at the Port Orleans Resort.
It comes down to this, to stay at Disney we will have to pay about 30% more and wind up with a smaller room. I love the parks but is the "Disney Magic" really worth it in this instance?

BruS

Stay on property.
My family and I have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside for
the past three years and will return for another week in
33-days! I would find it very hard to believe that you won't love it. It is a quiet and relaxing place to stay. My daughter loves
all the pools--we love the fact that you don't feel crowded in
or even like you're staying at a hotel. The staff are very friendly and have treated us wonderfully---I guess that's why we'll make it four years in a row there next month. The boat rides to downtown disney and the EASY access to disney transportation ANYWHERE you want to go definitely make it worthwile.
Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

mickhyperion

Which Port Orleans Resort will you be at? French Quarter or Riverside?

If nothing else, you will enjoy the ease and speediness of getting from hotel to park and back again. This alone will make up for the extra 30%. The buses aren't perfect, but they are frequent and reliable.

Upvote 0

Raven66

Since staying on property we would never do it any other way.:) I think going to the hotel and seeing all the people and the awe in the faces of the children is a big part of the magic. And make sure to have them do a wake up call that way Mickey will call you and tell you it's time to get up. That's so great!!:sohappy: No matter what you decide, have tons of fun!:wave:

Upvote 0

disneydudette

As for disney magic for adults...mmmm....so/so....When I went last august....we spent one week( BF and other couples) off site...and next week (same w/family) on site....

off site-
we were able to afford a villa...at Summer bay and it was wonderful...we had a full kitchen...living room...private master...second bedroom...and jacuzzi tub....all for what you would pay for a moderatte/deluxe on site....
It was a great way to really get away from the crowds...though driving to and from the parks was sorta a pain....it was nice to come "home"...and feel relaxed...

on sie-
We stayed at the CBR....and OKW (grand villa)...I will admit that staying at OKW was more adult "pleasing" then CBR...(stayed at PO before...and the same goes)...the transportation was great...going back for a swim or nap was soooo easy....but at the same time...there were usually a lot of kids in the pools...(duh its disney) and it could get quite loud....didn't bother me much...but it did to others who just wanted to relax by the pool....
I will say that PO (either one) is a great resort....especially for couples...but i don't think its worth the extra 30%

The hugest benefits to the Disney resorts are the food courts and transportation...the themed resorts and pools...and definatley that "magic" feeling....

IMHO...I would say no...I love staying on property...but when it comes to comfort or convience....i would go with comfort....

Upvote 0

cloudboy

My last few trips I have stayed off site, both for financial and other reasons. To be honest, you are not talking an apples to oranges comparison.

Staying off site, Disney is a destination for the day. You go in to a park, and pretty well stay in that park all day, then leave. Now, if you are going to do stuff outside of Disney, then it makes sense to stay outside the parks. Be careful about thinking that you are going to avoid kids - a lot of the outside hotels actually are worse in this, since people with children are often looking for ways to save more money. Some of the upscale hotels are not bad in this, but if Port Orleans is a step up, then probably you are going to hit a familly resort.

Staying on-site is like being withing the Disney environment. You have a tendency to go to one park for a while, go back to the room for a nap, go back to another resort, maybe head to yet another resort for dinner - anotherwords, it's a much more inclusive part of the vacation. If all you are going to do is sleep in the hotel then you won't get much out of one. If you want a nice convenient base that is itself something special, then you'll enjoy the resorts.

Oh, as far as comparing rooms - I bet that you are going to find that the rooms are not that bad comparitively. While you can sometimes find larger rooms or ones that are suites outside, hey may not be in great condition, and you lack a lot of the amenities such as room to walk around, quiet pools, and food courts/stores.

/Edit/

A great idea - hotel hop. Stay a few nights outside the park, a few onsite. Saves a little money but you still get the resort experience.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I think the extra cost is worth it. If you are a Disney nut like the rest of us are then you will love the fact that you are on property all the time with the great Cast members. Definately worth the extra cost.

Upvote 0
You are probably asking the wrong group of folks....:D We love staying on-site. We stayed off-site years ago and would never go back.....

Staying on-site separates you that much more from the real world. It doesn't really feel like you are staying at a hotel..you are staying IN WDW...the magic never really ends...

If room size and some additional amenities are important to you, then maybe PO is not for you....Good Luck with your plans and Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
First of all, if you indeed choose Port Orleans, go with Riverside!

When we were young, our family really couldn't afford staying on property, with 4 of us. We stayed off property all the time and it really wasn't the same. Even though I hadn't been spoiled by staying on-site yet, it just didn't feel right.

We drove in each morning, past all the hotels, lights, shops, fast food joints, etc - and it just had no magic to it. Then, each night we'd leave and drive out with the other 50,000 people, stuck in traffic on World Drive then on 192. It just lost all meaning and magic. Leaving in the middle of the day for a rest meant hoofing it to the tram, riding to the car, driving the many miles out to our hotel, resting, then repeating the process in reverse - NOT RELAXING.

When my brother and I started going on our own 2 years ago (and we've gone each year during the 2nd week of June), we stayed on property in Port Orleans Riverside (our favorite). It was a WORLD of difference. We were ALWAY in the magic, and it felt part of the vacation. We never left the magic to go to the hotel, because it was part of it all. We took Disney busses everywhere, which was a gift from heaven - NO TRAFFIC, NO HASSLE, NO TRAMS, NO GETTING LOST IN LOTS!

In summary, I will always pay the extra money to stay in the world. Too many amenities, too much theming, too much to give up by throwing cash at some Holiday Inn out on 192.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

We have stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and Port Orleans Riverside (it was still Dixie Landings then). Riverside is larger and had more pools and bigger food court. I prefer French Quarter, smaller resort and not as spread out. Everything is closer to each other, bus stop, boat dock, pool, food court.

Upvote 0

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by jordanyosh
You are probably asking the wrong group of folks....

I would strongly recommend that you heed the above words. Most of the comments I've read in response to your question have been overwhelmingly in favor of spending the extra money to stay on property. Keep in mind, this is coming from the same people who generally believe Disney can do no wrong, so you have to factor in a certain level of bias.

Having stated that, here is MY input (for what it's worth)...

Staying on-property is definitely preferable, no doubt about it. I've stayed at about half the hotels on property, from All Star Resorts to the Yacht and Beach Club, and every one of them is better than anything offsite (I've also stayed at quite a few offsite hotels). If you're familiar with my previous posts, you know that I love Disney with a passion, but that I'm quick to criticize things I don't like, and I never pull punches. Hopefully that lends some credibility to my claim that Disney resorts are superior. The service is outstanding. The rooms are generally immaculately clean. And there is a certain "magic" that makes it even more special. And let's face it, isn't escapism one of the primary reasons for visiting WDW in the first place? When you stay on property, you extend that experience of being in another world.

However, there are still some additional things to consider. 30% more can be hefty and you might want to consider some other things that you could apply those extra dollars to. For example, you could probably rent a car for the week for that extra expense. Despite what everyone says, I have never considered the bus transportation to be an argument in favor of staying on property. I personally DON'T find it all that convenient, and you're restricted to the bus schedule (whereas, with a rental car you can come and go as you please and on YOUR schedule). We ALWAYS rent a car, whether or not we're staying on property. You could also apply those extra dollars to a special event, a dinner show, extra souvenirs, etc. Is it really worth paying an extra 30% just to have Mickey call you and wake you up in the morning?

Bottom line, on property is definitely better, without question. Whether it's worth the extra money depends on your priorities.

Don't know if that has helped much, but that's my input.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I have to agree with everyone else. Staying on site is the way to go.(yes, I've stayed off site, too). There is something magical about the WDW Resorts. While I've never stayed at the one youy mentioned, I'd have to say its worth the extra money. To be immersed in the Disney Magic 24/7 is like nothing else. Coming back to your room & finding little towel animals, Mickey soaps, etc is very fun. Being able to go back to your room to rest without having to fight too much traffic, knowing that you can stay late & have someone else do the driving is worth the extra money (at least for us). Think of it this way...its your anniversary. Make this your "little extra". Throw your hat in the air. Next time you can stay off site.

Have you checked for discount codes? Sometimes AAA, BJs, etc. run specials. Hopefully you won't have to pay full price. Happy Anniversary in advance. :wave: (its 22 years for us May 29th)

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

30 %

Facts are facts.............................
Disney Hotel = on site, buses to the parks, food courts, swimming pools, purchase delivery, extra hour.
Villa or non Disney Hotel = own kitchen & fridge, swimming pool

Disney - buses aren't free, you're paying for them with the price of the room, package delivery (again not free) but very convenient, extra hour (OK 60 mins before everyone else)

Offsite - Paying fuel to and from the parks and parking charges, more space, washing machine can be left while your out.

IMHO - while I have enjoyed staying at Disney Hotels in the past - A private house / villa is a more economical way to have a holiday with all the conveniences required. I can think of many ways to spend the 30% that I have saved while in Disney (character meals etc).

I'm sorry to say that Disney Hotels are not worth the extra $ for my family.

Upvote 0

BeachClubVillas

Originally posted by Merlin
Keep in mind, this is coming from the same people who generally believe Disney can do no wrong, so you have to factor in a certain level of bias.

Ummmm...Have you been reading the posts here lately? We may love Disney, but we're critical of it too! We'd never steer anybody wrong on purpose. There's a reason WDW has so many hotels and is continuing to build new ones. The Disney experience is unparalleled. Go for it, it's worth the extra money!! :wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

We are Disney World Nuts and help many friends plan vacations. Most people I know who stay off site when you ask them how it went are tried, irritable and not ready to go back for years. Most people who stay on site love it, had a great time almost the entire trip and all the members of the family tended to enjoy themselves better. Staying on site really makes the magic.
My hubby loves the break from stress of driving and the carefreeness of being on property. I think it is easier for adults to stay off prop then families with kids (no naps ect...) but it is just so much more fun.

If all you are comparing is the size of the room, don't worry about it. If it is just the 2 of you, how much room do you need? The room size at PO is fine for couples. The resort is lovely and so beatiful. In May the magonila trees should be in bloom and just wonderful (we always went it march and they weren't.) POR has the best food court of all the WDW resorts. While it is a family friendly resort, we always stayed there before we had kids and felt it was really romantic and never over run with kids. IMO staying at a relaxing resort (opossed to a hotel) adds so much for romance and fun to your WDW vacation.

Upvote 0

LeenLin

Stay onsite. When I stayed offsite I felt like I was missing out when I was at my offsit villa. It's well worth it and less headache.:sohappy: :wave:

Upvote 0

mickhyperion

If you REALLY want to experience how incredible staying on-property can be, stay at one of the Epcot Resorts. As far as romance is concerned, I don't think it gets much better than that. The Epcot resort area is gorgeous, surrounding a lake like World Showcase. You will never need a car and will rarely need the bus. So much is within walking (or boating) distance it is almost amazing... Epcot, Disney-MGM, even the Magic Kingdom, thanks to the monorail. Though these are much more pricey deluxe resorts, you can find $150 a night rates at the Swan & Dolphin through special deals online (allearsnet.com for example).

Upvote 0

LudwigVonDrake

STAY ON SITE!!! You will NOT regret it....the ease of transportation, "logistics" and THE DISNEY MAGIC will make it worth your while. I stayed off property once and would never do it again...staying at a Disney resort keeps you in the Disney Magic 24 hours a day during your visit.

Thanks for reading...

Upvote 0

swimmom

Stay onsite! We always do. I love spending a week letting someone else do the driving for me. You can save on car rental if you are renting a car. As far at the room size, most people spend more time out of the room anyway. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom