MicBat

Originally posted by MKCustodial
From Animated Movies:

A former Disney animator described HOME ON THE RANGE as a
comedy-western, more in the style of THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE rather than
some of the more recent Disney movies.
----------------------------------------------------
I know some people hate ENG, but to me this is GREAT news! :sohappy:

I liked ENG!! Any news on when Home on the Range is due to be released??

MKCustodial

Original Poster
Re: Re: Home on the Range

Originally posted by MicBat
I liked ENG!! Any news on when Home on the Range is due to be released??

According to Animation Movies:

Release Date: 2004 (pushed back from its original November 26, 2003 slot)

Here's the link: http://www.animated-movies.net/HomeOnTheRange.html

EDIT: "Disney is planning to relaunch the Frontierland attraction at Disneyland, using this movie's characters as its new focus. "

Any idea what they're talking about here?:confused:

General Grizz

ENG was funny, but to me, it just doesn't have a well-roundedness to it. The heart in it just doesn't seem sincere at all to me. Just not the whole Disney-notch level...especially as far ast he animation, but that's just me.

WDWspider

I did not like ENG, but that was because of story and content. I think that type of comedy could work better in HotR though. I will always give a Disney movie a chance to prove theirself.

*Maybe Tom Saywer Island will be turned into a Cow Pasture :lookaroun *

cookiee_munster

oooh sarah jessica parkers in it... that makes it good anyway :)

and if it has the emperors new groove style humour i'm gunna find it pretty wild! lol

prberk

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
ENG was funny, but to me, it just doesn't have a well-roundedness to it. The heart in it just doesn't seem sincere at all to me. Just not the whole Disney-notch level...especially as far ast he animation, but that's just me.

Yeah, it seems like, for character, Pixar is out-Disneying Disney these days. Nemo had characters drawn in a wonderful way (and I do not mean the animation). Even as recently as The Lion King and B&B, Disney knew how to do this expertly.... Disney needs to remember character and heart, and get back to what they do best. The newer animators just need to pay attention to what made these work. Even Walt himself said heart was what mattered most.

I think that is what some of us miss in Emporer's New Groove or any of the other Late-90's stuff. Lilo and Stitch sort of brought it back, but Nemo reminds us how well characters can be drawn to make us care about them...

General Grizz

Originally posted by prberk
Yeah, it seems like, for character, Pixar is out-Disneying Disney these days. Nemo had characters drawn in a wonderful way (and I do not mean the animation). Even as recently as The Lion King and B&B, Disney knew how to do this expertly.... Disney needs to remember character and heart, and get back to what they do best. The newer animators just need to pay attention to what made these work. Even Walt himself said heart was what mattered most.

I think that is what some of us miss in Emporer's New Groove or any of the other Late-90's stuff. Lilo and Stitch sort of brought it back, but Nemo reminds us how well characters can be drawn to make us care about them...

What a voice of reason! :D The same thing, I think, is going on in the theme parks. Fun attractions, but there isn't the 'heart' that puts us there emotionally. I really think the folks should sit down and review 'Beauty and the Beast' and think of a way to incorporate the essentials into the upcoming films, including *GASP* SONGS?!?! :eek:

DOUG

I must say that I really did not like ENG when I first saw it....I actually really like it now...it is rather funny. It took a long time for the humor to really set in. As for HOTR, it's supposed to be pretty funny...........:( but, from what I hear....test audiences aren't laughing. An extremely bad sign for this film. I still look forward to seeing it, but I am not sure that this film is going to do well. As for Pixar out Disneying Disney....though the character designs are all done the same way...don't forget that Pixar is computer animated and most Disney films are traditional animation with 3D worked into the background and in some cases...(BEN & John Silvers mechanical arm - From Treasure Planet)...worked into characters. The 3D characters are not drawn.......they are modeled and animated in a computer....a pencil comes nowhere near paper for them so drawn isn't an appropriate word. And PLEASE don't blame the Disney animators for the issues with characters...they animate them and bring them to life...they give them personality. If you want to blame someone.....blame the Disney Corporation as a whole. The Feature Animation deparment has 17 vice-presidents. Do you know what happens when you have that many people in charge of one division? Ideas clash....and they change things. ENG was a perfect example......the animation was over 2/3's done when the managment decided they didn't like it....they had the story completely re-written....all that animaton that was completed...down the drain. Sorry that this was so long, but I'm a little spiteful with Disney in their animaton department management - it is them who have destroyed the legacy of that division.

prberk

Doug, I just want to point out that I think I understand you and probably agree somewhat, but please understand that when I said that the characters were well-drawn I meant nothing whatsoever about pencil and paper, or computer.

"Well-drawn characters" in literature or arts means simply that the characters were well-developed in the story.

Anyway, whether it is the management or anyone else, the story has to be compelling, and the characters have to have heart to make us care.

Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King both demonstrated that wonderfully. The reason that we cared about the characters was that they had heart and personality. It has nothing to do with the choice of animation style, except to be different or a matter of choice.

I good story can be told in any medium.

DOUG

Exactly....I'm just asking that people don't blame the animators. Good stories is something that Disney is running out of and perhaps they just need to slow down. The animators only draw them.....a few get a lot of input into character development..but that only includes the nuances of their personality. If the story is bad....so are the characters. Disney has had a terrible run lately of altering the stories during mid-production..this affects the characters and eventually their likeability. I am usually the only person in the theatre leaving teary eyed when I go see a cartoon. I almost instantly become attached to them and when bad things happen, I cry. I'm soft in that way.:D You know what...I just reread your original post...and it took me a second but I didn't realize that you were talking about the story. My goof, sorry. But....though I loved Nemo..the characters in that film didn't grab me as much as in Lilo & Stitch & Monsters Inc. Nemo was cute but Lilo was (and in my opinion) is one of the best developed characters I've seen in a very long time. She is probably one of the most realistic characters I've ever seen...just like a real child. So again, I apologize for my confusion...just don't blame the artists...it's truly not their fault...blame management or the story department.

MKCustodial

Original Poster
Good news from Animated-Movies:

HOME ON THE RANGE director Will Finn said "the response to previews in October, April and one just two weeks ago were overwhelmingly positive, literally--unequivocal raves from parents and kids who laughed, cheered and applauded throughout. It was like a dream come true for those of us who have worked so hard on this film, which admittedly got off to a rocky start and has had its share of chaos through the years of production. What film hasn't, animated or otherwise?" A teaser poster for the film is available at http://www.animated-movies.net/HomeOnTheRange5.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom