HOLY COW Mark Twain in American Adventure!!

Yoop33

Original Poster
OK for some reason for the 100 or so times I have been to WDW I have never been to the American Adventure attraction at Epcot. I am absolutely stunned first off by the way Mark Twain looked. But then after I paid more attention to him I noticed his fluid motions and what amazed me the most..... was his ability to smoke a cigar and blow the smoke away.
Now I know they are using the latest in automation and using inertia to their advantage in these machines but this was just really cool!!!

Captain Hank

American Adventure is among my favorite attractions. It's combination of AA's, projections, and great set pieces, along with a great script and theme song is absolutely amazing. Did you, by chance, notice that Ben Franklin actually "walks" up a set of stairs during the Declaration of Independence scene? It's actually kind of subtle, but really cool.

dumboflyer

Awww....I love the American Adventure! :)

I heard a rumor that Susan B. Anthony is Disney's most expensive AA at $1 million. That's what the tour guide said on the Backstage Tour I took a few years ago. It seems like she's not the most elaborate AA, but that's what the tour guide said...although you know how those CMs are...haha!

Steveo83

It may have been but it has been passed by now by the Yeti at EE. I have read that a few times how that is there most advanced and expensive AA to date.

Rob562

Captain Hank said:
American Adventure is among my favorite attractions. It's combination of AA's, projections, and great set pieces, along with a great script and theme song is absolutely amazing. Did you, by chance, notice that Ben Franklin actually "walks" up a set of stairs during the Declaration of Independence scene? It's actually kind of subtle, but really cool.

So many of the "effects" in American Adventure are so subtle most people don't really notice them. But the fact that it took a lot of planning and design to get them to look right...

Some of my favorites are how the animatronics (and set pieces) are coordinated with the film background. When the snowy scene at Valley Forge is shown, the view of the village pans down, and the animatronics ride up at the same rate, and they all stop panning/rising at the same time. Then at the end of the scene, the animatronics lower as the camera pans upward. The camera doesn't zoom in until the animatronics are out of view. The overall effect is very 3-dimensional. (And have you noticed Washington's horse's mane blowing gently in the wind?)

Same thing with Fredrick Douglas on his raft. He "floats" onstage with the background going the opposite direction. The raft and film change speeds to make it appear the raft is still going the same speed along the river, even though it's actually stopped and it going backwards slightly. (This one's harder to describe, you have to see it)

Oh, and the Fair sets in Philadelphia do the same thing, too.

There's always something new that you've never noticed before. It took me forever to notice the point when "Jane" lowered down into the submarine toward the end. Because the gas station set is there, and it transitions right into the WWII scene with Jane in the submarine already. But you don't see her until the end of that scene. (And have you ever noticed the Navy sailor saluting the audience as his scene lowers out of view?)

I like the continuing use of the "New World Bound" theme. Not just at the very beginning, but also in the background of the Philadelphia fair scene and the cartoon montage right after it.

-Rob

Mad Stitch

Wow, The American Adventure is the only reason I go to Epcot. :lookaroun (Don’t flame me too bad, I haven’t been there since M:S and Soarin opened. That will change in May. :sohappy: )

Nansafan

We hit AA almost every trip to Epcot and I cry every time we see it. The Civil War era with the family portrait and one son not making it home just about puts me away each time. I'm watching the story, not the people. I'll have to pay more attention to the details next time. What everyone has described sounds great.

peter11435

The AA is one of the best attractions in the world. Some of the little details and effects throughout are incredible. Nobody has mentioned Will Rogers yet. He actually twirls the lasso and tips his hat back.

Edeyore

AA should be a required attraction. It definitely is not a thrill ride, but if you don't feel different and a little prouder to be an American, you have a heart of stone.

DisneyMedic

This attraction should be required for EVER kid in school taking US history!! This covers almost every key point in history and is awasome.

In addition to the AA that are out of this world I LOVE the sound system. This is TRUE suround. From the song at the begining with the mayflower to the end. Even grown men can get chills.

Buford

It is an aweeeeeesome show, duuudes! My favorite AA is Mark Twain at the very end of the show... when he shrugs his shoulders out... "comfort, and ever increasing leisure." Isn't it wonderful?? :D :D

I think Martin Smith's tribute video compares the original AAs to the new ones (1992/3, maybe?). Oh, so neat!

dukehoopsfan

Our family saw this for the first time this past August. From the moment we stepped into the building and heard the Voices of America singing to the very end of the American Adventure - I had goosebumps and tears! During the show our 10 year old son literally sat on the edge of his seat taking it all in and asked questions for a good 1/2 hour after the show ended. I do agree with Edeyore - "if you don't feel different and a little prouder to be an American, you have a heart of stone."

David

I agree with all of the above posts! AA is one of my favorite attractions--not just at Epcot, but in all of WDW. And the spirit stays with you as the song is ending and you leave the auditorium and see the words in the hallway exit. What a great show!

tonypitt

No one has mentioned my favorite part of this attraction--the music. The "America, Spread Your Golden Wings" song is one of my favorites on my iPod.

rmp_king

I've only been to this attraction once... the effects are very good. However, I am a Canadian and of course this doesn't have the same effect for me... I find it patriotic overload.. but again, I'm a foreigner.

tonypitt

peter11435 said:
..and yet you don't even know the name. :lol:

If I had a nickel for every song title I've forgotten or mangled....

Can I redeem myself by noting that the song is Golden Dream and it was written by Randy Bright and Robert Moline?

Now they just need an iTunes add on that would find a song for me based on me humming it.

CRO-Magnum

The most advanced AA isn't even on stage...

dumboflyer said:
Awww....I love the American Adventure! :)

I heard a rumor that Susan B. Anthony is Disney's most expensive AA at $1 million. That's what the tour guide said on the Backstage Tour I took a few years ago. It seems like she's not the most elaborate AA, but that's what the tour guide said...although you know how those CMs are...haha!

...at least not anymore. I don't doubt SBA may be the most expensive = advanced figure at WDW. Overall though there is one superior I am aware of which was developed years after the American Adventure opened.

I worked for a short time with Imagineering on the Opto 22 control system used for the new Abe Lincoln for Main Street in Disneyland in the mid 1990's. The AA was developed in conjunction I belive with with a Utah university Medical School. The system was amazingly fluid and lifelike and had the most complex set of actuators capable of imitating the widest array of facial and body movements. As a prototype and design model it was cutting edge but never meant to be replicated. Instead design ideas were taken to be used on other figures as needed. I was told the figure cost over $5M to develop.

To the best of my knowledge this figure resides in Glendale today.

barnum42

rmp_king said:
I've only been to this attraction once... the effects are very good. However, I am a Canadian and of course this doesn't have the same effect for me... I find it patriotic overload.. but again, I'm a foreigner.
Those of us from more sceptical nations are never going to get the patriotic overload. It's still a good show and one I have seen many times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom