Hollywood Studios

Adam Snider

Original Poster
I might be beating a dead horse but in my probably unpopular opinion TSL actually made HS worse for me. It was pretty bad in theming before, we all know they are confused on theming, but now it seems like it is worse.
They have Hollywood and sunset Blvd which are nice but then boom, TSL, in the middle of no where. I was excited to go but a huge letdown. Slinky dog last like a minute and seems like it goes slower than IASW. The only plus was the hill on the second launch you can see Star Wars Land.
Then the alien saucer ride. Did they even try? It has to be the most bland theming and ride. It’s boring and I’m glad I had a fast pass for it. I didn’t try any food so I can’t say anything about that but it’s just disappointing to me.
Anyone’s else’s thoughts? I am excited for Star Wars Land!!!

TwilightZone

TSL is a land meant for little, little kids. It's a land that was meant to be taken low, expectation wise.
What really hurts TSL in the long run is that it opened before Star Wars Land. They should have taken the time to spurce up the land more and opened it alongside SWL IMO.

TheDuke

HS/MGM has been theming confused since its inception. The first two rides were GMR (going into the movies) and Backlot tour (going behind the scenes). For the park's whole duration they haven't been able to pick which one they wanted to do until recently where it seems they're going all the way into the "going into the movies" element and abandoning the behind the scenes stuff. It's even more of a pity that GMR closed now because it would have been an even more perfect flagship ride for the park.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I might be beating a dead horse but in my probably unpopular opinion TSL actually made HS worse for me. It was pretty bad in theming before, we all know they are confused on theming, but now it seems like it is worse.
They have Hollywood and sunset Blvd which are nice but then boom, TSL, in the middle of no where. I was excited to go but a huge letdown. Slinky dog last like a minute and seems like it goes slower than IASW. The only plus was the hill on the second launch you can see Star Wars Land.
Then the alien saucer ride. Did they even try? It has to be the most bland theming and ride. It’s boring and I’m glad I had a fast pass for it. I didn’t try any food so I can’t say anything about that but it’s just disappointing to me.
I think TSL is prob targeted at an audience a bit younger than you.

justintheharris

HS/MGM has been theming confused since its inception. The first two rides were GMR (going into the movies) and Backlot tour (going behind the scenes). For the park's whole duration they haven't been able to pick which one they wanted to do until recently where it seems they're going all the way into the "going into the movies" element and abandoning the behind the scenes stuff. It's even more of a pity that GMR closed now because it would have been an even more perfect flagship ride for the park.
Quite honestly, in 2014 I felt Hollywood Studios had a perfect identity with the tram tour, Great Movie Ride, Animation Academy but given that all of those were removed, they obviously want to shift in the direction as you said. However, it's hard to make such a "theme" cohesive rather just a bunch of disjointed areas in a park. It's like Soarin' Around The World. Maybe the improvements sounded great on paper but the final product lacks narrative and cohesion and leaves a confusing final product.

TheDuke

Quite honestly, in 2014 I felt Hollywood Studios had a perfect identity with the tram tour, Great Movie Ride, Animation Academy but given that all of those were removed, they obviously want to shift in the direction as you said. However, it's hard to make such a "theme" cohesive rather just a bunch of disjointed areas in a park. It's like Soarin' Around The World. Maybe the improvements sounded great on paper but the final product lacks narrative and cohesion and leaves a confusing final product.

IDK, that kind of what MK is when you think about it, although they handle the transitions well.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
TSL is a land meant for little, little kids. It's a land that was meant to be taken low, expectation wise.
What really hurts TSL in the long run is that it opened before Star Wars Land. They should have taken the time to spurce up the land more and opened it alongside SWL IMO.

"It's a land that was meant to be taken low, expectation wise." - Something we should never have to say about a Disney attraction/land.

drizgirl

They were afraid Universal would be this big competitor park when it first landed in Orlando. But then when they saw that Universal wasn't very popular and wasn't a threat they stopped putting resources into it.

It was only when Harry Potterland made Universal a juggernaut competitor that they once again reacted by building Pandora and now StarwarsLand.

Animal Kingdom I think was built to siphon people away from Tampa Busch Gardens Dark Continent and keep them in WDW. It's all about trying to keep them in WDW and have the guests spend all their money in WDW and not outside it.
And they have spent all this time since trying to fix their reactionary move. IMO, they are still reacting instead of acting.

DVC4bestvacations

I don't particularly like the theming of TSL. It's an assault on the senses. However it's spot on. Just what Andy's backyard would be. Would I burn a fastpass on SD probably not. But I wouldn't waste one on7DMT either. Both are ok rides that dont live up to the hype.

JIMINYCR

I guess you can give them credit for at least trying. WE asked for more attractions and they gave us those 2. Slinky dog wasnt ever meant to be a "thrilling" coaster and Alien saucer right from the start I anticipated it to be a meh. I thought the land was themed quite well but yeah... theres just not enough. What we really need instead of a "land" is a "PARK". But Dis is giving us bits and pieces and hoping it satisfies us. Unfortunately its doing very little for thinning out the crowd situation and giving us something lower than expected.
Hopefully the SW land can bring DHS up to the standards we expect from Disney.

Joesixtoe

I think its themed quite well, and when you add star wars land, you will then have tt, rrc, sdd, ttm, alien s, 3 star wars rides, the new Mickey ride, muppets, beauty and the beast, little mermaid, the disney jr stuff, and frozen sing along.. that's around 15 plus things to do with about 8 of those being more e type of attractions. I bet MGM will be the 2nd most visited park from 2020 on, however gardians rollercoaster might get epcot back to number 2 if it's good which it should be.

Dr. Ludwig von Drake

I went there in November 2018 with three of my kids (8, 10, and 24). The little ones loved it. It was perfect for them. They were mesmerized by the atmosphere and laughed on the rides. They had fun, and I had fun watching them.

We had some of the pastry snacks from Woody's lunch box. Excellent.

Gotta remember that not all parts of the resorts appeal to all age groups.

goofyyukyuk

I think that the theming was actually pretty amazing. You’re transported into Andy’s backyard and it really feels like it. I think the OP’s main issue is that TSL doesn’t fit into his style of attractions, which is okay since everybody has their own preferences, but HS was a park that wasn’t drawing any kids that were too small to ride ToT and RNRC, so they had to add something that appealed to little kids to keep balance within the parks. Btw, Slinky Dog was a pretty impressive “kiddy” coaster in my opinion. Much better than Barnstormer. And you may want to ride Small World again. If you think it goes faster than the 40 mph that Slinky Dog hits, then you probably haven’t ridden it recently. IMO, Swirling Saucers is a better spinning ride than the tea cups. Next time you should go, you should try the food though... it’s great!

LUVofDIS

It was only ever built as a reaction to Universal Studios being built in Orlando.
Once the threat of the initial Universal subsided they didn't really care about it since it served it's purpose.

I don't feel this is totally true, years after the original creation there was ToT, Fantasmic, TSM and RnRC. None of these are themed to the original idea but most of these ended up being fan favorites.

The first two rides were GMR (going into the movies) and Backlot tour (going behind the scenes).

Both of these fit into the original theme, it was about movies from creation to viewing. To me, it was done very well. I think today with TSL and SWGE, it is much more chopped up and off theme.

WDW going off theme has been the course for many years now. EPCOT and HS being the furthest from their original themes. AK is probably the park that has remained truest to its theme. Even MK's Tomorrowland is slightly off it's original theme.

erasure fan1

I think TSL is prob targeted at an audience a bit younger than you.
But isn't that part of the problem? Disney was built not aiming at a certain demographic. Walt had said something to the point, if you aim for one group you'll lose. And I agree with that. The funny part is, that is why Toy story has been successful. It appeals to a large age group. It was never made for just 5 to 7 year olds so why make the land that way.

wdwfan4ver

Quite honestly, in 2014 I felt Hollywood Studios had a perfect identity with the tram tour, Great Movie Ride, Animation Academy but given that all of those were removed, they obviously want to shift in the direction as you said. However, it's hard to make such a "theme" cohesive rather just a bunch of disjointed areas in a park.
I disagree The backlot Tour was way past its prime in 2014 and the park already had theming problems before the Backlot Tour closed in 2014. I remembered when DHS was called Disney MGM Studios at the time I first went in the early 1990s.

Studios Backlot Tour came from an era that Eisner originally viewed DHS as part theme park and part production studio. Disney used to do live tapings such as taping Professional Wrestling and other tv shows from 1989 to early 2000s at DHS before Eisner pulled the plug on having working studio in Florida back in 2004. Eisner even had Disney create Animated Movies at DHS. Animated movies such as Mulan, Brother Bear, Lilo & Stitch, and sequences to Disney animated features.

I know it is hard to believe that professional wrestling was taped on WDW property, but it was. What I am getting at when Disney did use a Animated studio and a live production studio in Florida for Actually animated stuff such as creating new movies before 2004, it was one of the big things played a big role in the theme of the park.

eliza61nyc

HS was a mess waay before TSL. It was supposed to be some type of glimpse into movie making. when that did not materialize no one knew what to do with it.
Most folks thought that HS was at best a 1/2 day park.

Now let me say that I am in a distinct minority here. I could care less what "walt" wanted or what "theme" he had, I give less than a crap if a park is filled with IP. I want to have fun, to be entertained and not bored and I like new. HS was a hot mess, the best thing one could say about the Great movie ride was it was air conditioned and long enough to get a decent nap in. and the backlot tour was 10 minutes wasted of my life I can never get back. lol

We enjoyed TSL, we liked slinky dog more than we expected and TS midway mania is always a favorite. we did not do alien space ride. we enjoyed the live entertainment
Could it have been better? I gave it a C but considering I gave the park a F before, I'd call it progress.

If they get rid of that Indiana show and put a ride there, it would be a pretty decent park

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
To be fair, GMR was more about showcasing the history of the movies, documentary-style a la Future World. You were never supposed to have been "in that movie," but rather on a Hollywood museum-like experience. It was always presented as a series of sets on soundstages.

Goofyernmost

I went there in November 2018 with three of my kids (8, 10, and 24). The little ones loved it. It was perfect for them. They were mesmerized by the atmosphere and laughed on the rides. They had fun, and I had fun watching them.

We had some of the pastry snacks from Woody's lunch box. Excellent.

Gotta remember that not all parts of the resorts appeal to all age groups.
The whole idea is to do it with them. So your heart doesn't stop from the excitement! That's not the point. The point is for parents to be able to do things with their children. Not just sit on a bench and watch them.

All I hear about is Slinky Dog and Alien and forget that Toy Story Mania is now a part of TSL and that is one of the most popular family attraction they have. I'm never sure what people expect at a Disney park. What made them famous was the fact that every one could do things together, not have their hearts in their throats every minute. TSL is classic Disney where families, couples and children can all have a good time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom