Hollywood Studios table service or leave the park

TrainsOfDisney

In the past I’ve enjoyed 50’s prime time and Mama Melrose but I can’t comment on them from any recent experiences.

I was just there a few weeks ago and had a late lunch / early dinner at Brown Derby and it was SO good. I’ve always loved the old Hollywood atmosphere in there and I went with the classics, Cobb Salad and Grapefruit Cake. (Wanted to get a Shirley temple as well but just had club soda cause I didn’t want all the sugar haha).

It kinda depends on how you want to visit the park, if you just want half or 3/4 a day then leaving to get dinner at the boardwalk would be fun, you could see the entertainers out on the boardwalk before / after dinner and grab a drink at the Abracadabar.

I’d vote for a meal in the park though. Brown Derby, 50’s Prime Time and Sci-Fi are all super unique and fun places to eat.

NelleBelle

Mama Melrose and Roundup Rodeo are what we did last month and both were good (for vegetarians). I wasn’t so keen per se on the way they did the inside of RRBBQ but I really liked the food there. The server we had was terrific! Have heard complaints that it’s loud but my mom is very hard of hearing and I lost hearing in my left ear—we both could hear each other just fine.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I want to say most people enjoy 50's Prime Time Cafe, if not for the food than the atmosphere. My family has been there several times over the years and always enjoyed it. Next would be SciFi Dine in. IMHO food not as good as 50's but the theme is awesome.
I usually do SciFi for the fantasmic package(and I still might), but am thinking about changing It up

Minnie1986

Original Poster
if you were doing lunch, id say go to Brown Derby, relaxing and the lunch food is pretty good. Not sure if youre alone or with the whole family. Sci-fi is fun and 50's primetime but none of these are my dinner choice. Someone mentioned taking the boat to swan/dolphin and eating there. i would agree, the restaurants there are all good. Or id take the bus to AKL and eat at Jiko, Sanna or Boma. Citricos is decent, Cali Grill is now a pre-fix menu but i like it ($$$$) and Restaurants on the boardwalk are good.
going to be me, niece (12), and goddaughter (15) for dinner

Eric Graham

I'm looking into the table service restaurants that we want to check out during our next trip. Tbh, I'm not a huge fan of any of them, but maybe i'm missing something. Might be best to go to a near by restaurant possibly at Boardwalk? Thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated!
May be fun, just a suggestion, to take the skyliner to the Rivera and have lunch at their table service restaurant. Their chicken sandwich was really good, and it was so nice seeing all of the photos of Walt there as he was planning Disney World in France and all of the classic posters all in french. We had never been there but went on a most recent resort. They also have bocce ball and lawn events next to the dining option. Have a great trip!

LittleMerman

We love Brown Derby, 50's Primetime, Sci-Fi, and Roundup Rodeo BBQ but not so much for the food at any of the locations, more for the ambiance. So if you've been to all of them, especially multiple times, why not leave and go somewhere else? Except for it taking time from your park day.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
We love Brown Derby, 50's Primetime, Sci-Fi, and Roundup Rodeo BBQ but not so much for the food at any of the locations, more for the ambiance. So if you've been to all of them, especially multiple times, why not leave and go somewhere else? Except for it taking time from your park day.
For now, I'm leaning towards Rodeo Roundup. Neither of us has ever been there, we both love BBQ, and even if it's a one and done, I'd like to check it out. Like others have mentioned across the site, I really wish that'd made it a Toy Story character dining experience.

May be fun, just a suggestion, to take the skyliner to the Rivera and have lunch at their table service restaurant. Their chicken sandwich was really good, and it was so nice seeing all of the photos of Walt there as he was planning Disney World in France and all of the classic posters all in french. We had never been there but went on a most recent resort. They also have bocce ball and lawn events next to the dining option. Have a great trip!
Walt wasn’t even alive to finish planning for WDW let alone France

RoadiJeff

Based on several comments in this thread I made a reservation for Mama Melrose for when I'll be doing a solo adventure to HS next week. I enjoy 50's Prime Time but we ate there last month and I want to try something different. To me, that place is more for the atmosphere than the food, although it isn't bad. Happy plates. :)

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I LOVE bocce ball

Mireille

Premium Member
For now, I'm leaning towards Rodeo Roundup. Neither of us has ever been there, we both love BBQ, and even if it's a one and done, I'd like to check it out. Like others have mentioned across the site, I really wish that'd made it a Toy Story character dining experience.
Roundup Rodeo was great. I had the plant based menu, which actually had a good variety of foods not included on every single other prix-fixe menu at every other restaurant in WDW, so I can't say what the meat is like but it's a fun atmosphere and the servers (at my and neighboring tables) were a lot of fun. There are lots of sides to choose from and you definitely won't leave hungry. And you can ride a hobby horse to your table if you like! (I declined.)

LittleMerman

It was a lot of fun, super cute place!

mhaftman7

I eat at HS to get Fantasmic packages, would definitely leave to a resort restaurant if it weren’t for them.
I haven’t seen it elsewhere and don’t want to be a pointless thread starter, but has anyone else been unsuccessful in even seeing an option for the Fantasmic Dining Package?

Mama Melrose was always good and quaint. Never had a bad meal or dining experience there. Also keep in mind depending on the mood you're in for maybe a burger and fries and milkshake then the Sci-Fi theater is a good choice too. plus, you get to watch clips of those old B -rated movies from yester years. Every time I have gone there, we would have Good sized Burgers and fries and onion rings with a Milk shake followed by a Sunday for two. Sometimes in life all you need is a cheeseburger in paradise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom