Hollywood Studios stage

jjharvpro

Original Poster
Is there any set date when the Hollywood Studios stage in front of the hat will be gone? This might just be my ignorance, but I thought the stage was only for Star Wars Weekends.. Thanks!

NewfieFan

I was wondering the same thing! I'm actually ok with the hat (loved the view without it, though) but that stage in front is such an eyesore to me!

jjharvpro

Original Poster
I was wondering the same thing! I'm actually ok with the hat (loved the view without it, though) but that stage in front is such an eyesore to me!

I wouldn't mind to see the Hat stay a little longer, but it'll be nice when the Chinese Theater is the main structure you can see from the entrance.

The stage is indeed an eyesore!

I know! I really hope it's not permanent. It was nice having it for SWW (although us short people couldn't see much regardless) but it looks pretty bad otherwise.

zooey

I thought Disney channel rocks was using that stage? I'm pretty sure it was up in December when I went, as well as in May.

boufa

I wouldn't mind to see the Hat stay a little longer, but it'll be nice when the Chinese Theater is the main structure you can see from the entrance.

The stage is indeed an eyesore!

for the 435th time this week, the direct view of the chinese theatre is not possible. They don't have the rights to it, so it is either the hat or tear down the theatre. There are no other options. Crying and complaining will not change it. Disney exists in a real world where lawyers and contracts also exist. We may not like it, but that is that.

IlikeDW

for the 435th time this week, the direct view of the chinese theatre is not possible. They don't have the rights to it, so it is either the hat or tear down the theatre. There are no other options. Crying and complaining will not change it. Disney exists in a real world where lawyers and contracts also exist. We may not like it, but that is that.

Nonsense

wickedfan07

Internet myth.

See Yesterland:
http://www.yesterland.com/removehat.html

Yesterland said:
There are different versions of the story, but it goes something like this... After the Mann’s Theatres chain, which included the Chinese Theatre, was sold in 2000 to a partnership of Warner Bros. and Paramount Pictures, Disney could no longer use the theater façade as a symbol for Disney-MGM Studios. They had to block the direct view. In one version of the story, Disney lost the rights to use the Chinese Theatre façade, but somehow didn’t have to remove it if they put something in front of it. In another version, Disney had to pay a royalty to the owners of the Chinese Theatre every time it was photographed, so Disney did something to limit the ability of guests to take photos.

[...]

The Internet legend doesn’t make much sense when you think about it. Guests can still see and photograph the Disney version of the Chinese Theatre—just not from as many angles as previously. To believe the legend, you would have to accept that Disney is stuck with a contract that allowed them to build a replica of the façade of Grauman’s Chinese Theatre in 1989, but, if the theater were sold, would only allow guests to see it if they were looking from an angle or standing very close in front of it.

wdwfan22

That's an internet rumor that holds no truth.

Krack

Holy cow, how does this myth still exist?!? It's like the Horizons sink hole myth.

VMKingdom

I hate hearing this myth being passed on as fact. Sheesh.

VMKingdom

Regarding the hat. Get rid of the dang thing is my goal, but... if somebody wants it in the DHS, the only place it belongs is like a "wienie" to bring you to the entrance to Fantasmic. That's the only place I want to see it.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

This is not at all true. The hat was originally installed as a temporary icon, and was always intended to be removed - and it still is. Just a matter of when. The view of the Chinese Theater will return.

Admiral01

Premium Member

If Disney didn't have rights to the theater's likeness, simply throwing a big ugly hat in front of it wouldn't do the trick. You can still see the theater, just not a clear view from Hollywood Blvd as you enter the park.

Besides, there are always options.

MrMorrowTom

Wow boufa's post was shot down hahaha :ROFLOL:

I don't mind the hat just move it somewhere else like the entrance outside, it works for Universal Studios Globe.

Going back to the OP, yea take that stage down!!!

mergatroid

I'm actually used to the hat now, it's like an ugly dog that you learn to love regardless. I often wonder how much it cost? The reason I ask is that if the general public dislike it as much as the majority do on here, you'd have to wonder why Disney leave it there unless it's because they spent a fortune on it. My only conclusion is they wanted something Mickey related to be seen in the Studios and felt the small Mickey atop the globe at the entrance was going unnoticed :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom