Rumor Hollywood insiders say there's growing tension at Disney as CEO Bob Chapek chafes at Bob Iger's 'long goodbye'

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really am convinced that they see park guests as stupid. Are there some who will blindly pay whatever Chapek demands? Sure. But I don't think there are nearly as many as they've conned themselves into believing there are. I also think it's arrogant of them to think they can herd us like cattle and we won't notice.
That’s the thing…

it doesn’t matter if they’re wrong. If it blows up, they take their payout and move on.

not enough attention is given to just how transient their executives have become for the last 20 years

el_super

I tend to put that decision in Zenia & Iger themselves rather than Roy.

Eh... Roy's beef against Eisner was mostly personal at that point. He framed it as a "stockholder revolt" and fanned the succession flames to get Eisner out, but the chance of Wall Street picking someone not like Eisner was exactly zero and he knew that going in. He just wanted Eisner gone because Eisner kicked him off the board.

Wall Street will always pick an Eisner to run Disney.

el_super

Where has Diller been for the past 50 years?

Filmmakers often didn't know whether the studio was going to heavily market their movie or not; or whether it would get an international release or not; or whether it was going to get a domestic wide release or not; or whether if was going to go to the theaters at all or go straight to VHS/DVD or a TV movie.

All that before streaming existed.

Some of that certainly was politics, but studios DID budget films back then, with an idea of what their release schedule would look like. Big summer tent pole movies always had the bigger budgets and star power, because the chance of recovering that at the Box Office was higher.

Diller is imagining a scenario now, where the budgets are being set without a regard to how the funding will be recovered, and certainly that is a concerning topic for someone who came up from the old school studio system. I think there's definitely a valid concern about over spending money on pictures that you end up releasing to streaming with no chance to recover their budget.

If streaming sticks around, those big budget Marvel movies might be toast. Everything will be budgeting for a smaller audience/streaming friendly revenue rather than the $1B+ box office receipts and that will hurt film production for awhile.

lazyboy97o

Eh... Roy's beef against Eisner was mostly personal at that point. He framed it as a "stockholder revolt" and fanned the succession flames to get Eisner out, but the chance of Wall Street picking someone not like Eisner was exactly zero and he knew that going in. He just wanted Eisner gone because Eisner kicked him off the board.

Wall Street will always pick an Eisner to run Disney.
What bizarro world history of Disney have you been reading? Roy suddenly quit the board when he held the position of Vice Chairman.

Heppenheimer

Some of that certainly was politics, but studios DID budget films back then, with an idea of what their release schedule would look like. Big summer tent pole movies always had the bigger budgets and star power, because the chance of recovering that at the Box Office was higher.

Diller is imagining a scenario now, where the budgets are being set without a regard to how the funding will be recovered, and certainly that is a concerning topic for someone who came up from the old school studio system. I think there's definitely a valid concern about over spending money on pictures that you end up releasing to streaming with no chance to recover their budget.

If streaming sticks around, those big budget Marvel movies might be toast. Everything will be budgeting for a smaller audience/streaming friendly revenue rather than the $1B+ box office receipts and that will hurt film production for awhile.
I forget where I read it, but along those same lines, someone declared the era of the movie star will soon be over. Not that we won't have famous actors anymore, but relative to their level of fame, they simply won't be able to demand the same kind of salaries the A-list could formerly expect. Similar to what happened with rock stars in the file-sharing era, which suddenly saw a collapse of album sales. Musicians at least could turn to touring for extra income (and hence, part of the reason why concert ticket prices exploded). I'm not sure what actors can do to make up for their shortfalls, however.

el_super

What bizarro world history of Disney have you been reading? Roy suddenly quit the board when he held the position of Vice Chairman.

That's literally the opening pages of Disney War. Did you read it?

As soon as they ordered their drinks, Bryson dispensed with small talk and got to the point. “You know, Roy, you’re past the mandatory retirement age,” he said. Roy was taken aback by Bryson’s directness, and murmured something noncommittal.​
“We’ve concluded that you shouldn’t run for reelection,” Bryson said. Roy looked at him in stunned disbelief. He was speechless. He felt like a knife had been stuck into his heart. It had never crossed his mind that the board would go this far.​
“You’re making an awful mistake,” he said, looking directly at Bryson. “And you’re going to regret doing this.” Then he got up and walked out.​

Ghost93

While Eisner made many bad decisions in the later half of his time at Disney and generally seemed like not a nice person (although everyone in Disney War seems to be kinda awful in their own way), I will admire Eisner for having more creative ambition than Iger. Eisner seemed to be much more involved in the creative aspects of both the Disney movies and the Parks. He had ideas. Iger was a competent businessman, but I don't think he was particularly passionate about storytelling.

lazyboy97o

That's literally the opening pages of Disney War. Did you read it?

As soon as they ordered their drinks, Bryson dispensed with small talk and got to the point. “You know, Roy, you’re past the mandatory retirement age,” he said. Roy was taken aback by Bryson’s directness, and murmured something noncommittal.​
“We’ve concluded that you shouldn’t run for reelection,” Bryson said. Roy looked at him in stunned disbelief. He was speechless. He felt like a knife had been stuck into his heart. It had never crossed his mind that the board would go this far.​
“You’re making an awful mistake,” he said, looking directly at Bryson. “And you’re going to regret doing this.” Then he got up and walked out.​
That’s trying to push out, not firing. He was being pressured to not seek re-election because it was known that he couldn’t be fired, that the optics of being so publicly against him would be bad. Roy knew the playbook and why he would be more powerful on the outside.

el_super

That’s trying to push out, not firing. He was being pressured to not seek re-election because it was known that he couldn’t be fired, that the optics of being so publicly against him would be bad. Roy knew the playbook and why he would be more powerful on the outside.

The board's governing committee set the rules for who could be on the board, and Roy would have been term'd out by the rules set anyway. You're right it would have been pretty bad optics had Roy fought it, but at the time, corporate governance and independence was seriously being looked at, Roy wouldn't have found many allies on the outside and had no choice but to resign.

Of course once Eisner was gone, he didn't come back to the board and took the emeritus title and sailed off into the sunset.

But was Disney really saved after that?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney's spending tent pole budgets on the current Star Wars and MCU series.

el_super

Disney's spending tent pole budgets on the current Star Wars and MCU series.

That's true. I wonder what the spending per epsiode/per movie looks like. Are they spending more per minute?

I wonder if they are concerned at all about Pixar's ability to transition to streaming. Marvel and Star Wars are perfect for a formulaic episodic offering... Pixar not so much.

MagicHappens1971

That's true. I wonder what the spending per epsiode/per movie looks like. Are they spending more per minute?

I wonder if they are concerned at all about Pixar's ability to transition to streaming. Marvel and Star Wars are perfect for a formulaic episodic offering... Pixar not so much.
They’re spending $25 million+ an episode.

DisneyCane

They’re spending $25 million+ an episode.
Which is relatively low budget per minute in movie terms. The thing with streaming services is it is much harder to determine the return on investment for particular content. With TV it could be measured by ad revenue vs. spending. For movies it is box office and ancillary revenue vs. spending.

With streaming content, they have to try and figure out how much an investment is worth in terms of subscriber retention and additions. Basically, if Disney+ didn't have The Mandalorian, how many subscribers would cancel and how many wouldn't sign up.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Not bad…

the rogue squadron series is big…that has potential as a game changer
Rogue Squadron is a stand-alone movie and I'm interested in how well it will do. I agree - could be a game changer. Book of Boba Fett has me intrigued. With this poster coming out, it makes me wonder if they're going to weave in some Skywalker action.
star-wars-luke-and-grogu-poster-comic-con-1276848.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
With streaming content, they have to try and figure out how much an investment is worth in terms of subscriber retention and additions. Basically, if Disney+ didn't have The Mandalorian, how many subscribers would cancel and how many wouldn't sign up.
Disney also has access to viewing data as well as sub numbers. They know how popular a series is depending on if the number of views grows or diminishes from episode to episode.

E.g., they were able to "see" how many people subbed up when The Mandalorian started and how many of these news subs watched Mando. They can also then see the retention after the series ended.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom