Hogwarts hotel?

Amidala

Original Poster
This video is claiming that Universal has been surveying its guests to decide whether or not they would be interested in an immersive hotel experience along the lines of Disney's planned Star Wars hotel. Not sure if this is true–and obviously even if it is on the table, that doesn't mean it will happen–but I'm wondering how you all would feel about it. The parks are constantly in competition with each other, and it would make sense for Universal to counter the Star Wars hotel with a Hogwarts hotel. And IMO, this is something that would be a lot easier to execute than Star Wars.

Obviously I'm looking forward to the SW hotel, but the SW universe is so expansive it's hard to say what direction TDO will take in designing this experience–the same was true of SW:GE when it was first announced, since there were so many existing planets to model the area after. I'm assuming the SW hotel will be located on the same planet as SW:GE, which means that TDO will need to make this hotel recognizably Star Wars-esque while at the same time introducing an entirely new location...a hard balance to strike (although I think Disney is up to the task). Hogwarts, though, not only has a clear look and feel that Universal could directly mimic, but the hotel aspect is built right into the canon–guests could be sorted into houses and sent to sleep in "dormitories" in different parts of the castle and dine in the Great Hall just like in the books and movies. I love SW but grew up wishing I could experience what it's like to attend Hogwarts, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

But w/ Hogwarts already existing in the parks and housing Forbidden Journey, I don't see how this could happen without breaking the illusion? I sincerely doubt the existing Hogwarts would get a hotel expansion (although DisneySea lets guests stay in the parks...I guess it's not totally impossible) and building a second Hogwarts would feel like a cop-out. But if they did find a way to pull this off, I have no doubt this hotel would fill up faster than any Universal hotel on property RN.

This is still a hypothetical, but...Thoughts???

kap91

It's certainly is an obvious idea and would seem pretty likely given the Star Wars hotel. And it would be fairly easy to build a warehouse building to house the hotel that has an entrance appearing near the castle or at least as part of it. Especially now that dragon challenge is closing.

Amidala

Original Poster
I don't know if year round that would have enough people interested in a hotel like that. The more specific you get the harder it is to fill rooms.

You are right about having two castles would be a problem.

I'm thinking this is just a fanboi made up rumor.

I don't know about that...I get the feeling people would be clamoring for the chance to stay in this kind of hotel (same goes for the Star Wars hotel when it opens, if done right). It seems like the natural next step in this recent trend of "immersing" guests in specific IPs. And I don't think it's just hardcore Potter fans who will want to stay at this hotel...the movies were all blockbusters, so many, many people are casual fans of the franchise and would enjoy this kind of experience.

Agreed though that continuity would be a huge issue...It would be incredible to actually be able to stay in an extended area of the castle at IoA, but I can't see that happening.

But yeah, right now there's no weight to this rumor from insiders (that I know of), it's just a really cool concept and would be logical competition against Disney's SW hotel.

trr1

of course they could just have another wizarding school as the hotel such as Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the USA

Disneyhead'71

If they were going to make a Potter hotel, wouldn't it make more sense for it to be a Leaky Cauldron hotel as opposed to Hogwarts? I mean, The Leaky Cauldron is a hotel/boarding house. And it would be a lot easier to relocate the restaurant in Diagon Alley than duplicate the Castle.

Last edited:

Amidala

Original Poster
of course they could just have another wizarding school as the hotel such as Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the USA

If they were going to make a Potter hotel, wouldn't it make more since for it to be a Leaky Cauldron hotel as opposed to Hogwarts? I mean, The Leaky Cauldron is a hotel/boarding house. And it would be a lot easier to relocate the restaurant in Diagon Alley than duplicate the Castle.

See, these ideas both make sense from a practical standpoint, but I can't see it happening–especially Ilvermorny. Devoted Potter fans will be aware of Ilvermorny but most casual fans will be unfamiliar w/ it. And no one will have the sense of personal connection to the environment & culture of Ilvermorny that they have w/ Hogwarts. IMO that nostalgia for the HP series is key–Ilvermorny is just an add-on, modeled after the original right down to the house system.

And Leaky Cauldron would totally make sense within the world of HP. But I don't think guests would be as eager to stay in a rundown bar/inn as they would be to stay at Hogwarts. It probably would be easier to build a hotel into the "city-like" atmosphere of Diagon Alley as opposed to the castle, and it would have cooler views as well, so this is a fair point! I think even traditionally themed "premium" rooms (maybe exclusive in the same way as Cinderella's suite at MK) above Honeydukes, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes and other shops would sell out in a heartbeat–but this wouldn't compete with the Star Wars hotel.

trr1

See, these ideas both make sense from a practical standpoint, but I can't see it happening–especially Ilvermorny. Devoted Potter fans will be aware of Ilvermorny but most casual fans will be unfamiliar w/ it. And no one will have the sense of personal connection to the environment & culture of Ilvermorny that they have w/ Hogwarts. IMO that nostalgia for the HP series is key–Ilvermorny is just an add-on, modeled after the original right down to the house system.

And Leaky Cauldron would totally make sense within the world of HP. But I don't think guests would be as eager to stay in a rundown bar/inn as they would be to stay at Hogwarts. It probably would be easier to build a hotel into the "city-like" atmosphere of Diagon Alley as opposed to the castle, and it would have cooler views as well, so this is a fair point! I think even traditionally themed "premium" rooms (maybe exclusive in the same way as Cinderella's suite at MK) above Honeydukes, Weasley's Wizard Wheezes and other shops would sell out in a heartbeat–but this wouldn't compete with the Star Wars hotel.
they could also do Beauxbatons Academy of magic or Durmstrang Institute

Amidala

Original Poster
they could also do Beauxbatons Academy of magic or Durmstrang Institute

That's a really cool idea! Beauxbutons especially was described as such a beautiful place in the books. There's still the issue of missing out on the cash-grab that Hogwarts would be, but I guess it's all in the execution. Beauxbutons could be a really unique (and super lavish/decadent) addition to their HP offerings, so there would be a certain kind of appeal there, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom