Hiya you lot!

Flying into Sanford in the near future.

I'll be a stranger in town!

Hope to be picking up a rental car at the airport.

I will be travelling to Port Orleans Resort in Downtown Disney.

What is the best route to take?

Google says take the Toll roads, at around $5, 46.2 miles - about 55 mins.
or Non Toll road, 41.1 miles - 56 mins.

Would the Non Toll road be the best bet?
......or would I have a good chance of getting lost!!!

Chas H.

pixiesteno

Hiya, "generally" the toll road has less traffic. However, we were on the toll road (Rt 417) two years ago and there was major, major construction and it was a mess. There is one interchange place that you need to make sure that you are staying in the lanes to remain RT 417 as there is a split, just follow the road signs to follow RT 417. Now, some of the toll booths are not manned so you will need to have quarters. If you go to the very end of Rt 417 it will bring you on to Osceola Parkway and on to Disney property by Wide World of Sports/Pop Century/Art of Animation(Victory Way). I believe(someone will correct me if I am wrong) that you can turn on to Victory Way towards Pop/AoA and follow that right over to the roadway that goes to DTD and PORS.
However, we tow a 29 foot travel trailer with a full size pickup truck and stay right on I-4 to the WDW resorts. There is a large difference between taking a passenger car on a toll road and tolls for a truck with a trailer! Yes, it can be slow and congested at peak travel times in the morning and afternoon, but if you are arriving mid morning to about 3 pm it should be fairly clear sailing. Just pick your lane and stay in it and let the "locals" go around you. There are nice long merge lanes for on-coming traffic. I personally just pick the right hand lane and let them all drive around me. I stay with the flow of traffic but for some reason they don't like being behind the RV.:cool: Either way the signs for WDW are very good.

Upvote 0

Chas. Harding

Original Poster
Hiya, "generally" the toll road has less traffic. However, we were on the toll road (Rt 417) two years ago and there was major, major construction and it was a mess. There is one interchange place that you need to make sure that you are staying in the lanes to remain RT 417 as there is a split, just follow the road signs to follow RT 417. Now, some of the toll booths are not manned so you will need to have quarters. If you go to the very end of Rt 417 it will bring you on to Osceola Parkway and on to Disney property by Wide World of Sports/Pop Century/Art of Animation(Victory Way). I believe(someone will correct me if I am wrong) that you can turn on to Victory Way towards Pop/AoA and follow that right over to the roadway that goes to DTD and PORS.
However, we tow a 29 foot travel trailer with a full size pickup truck and stay right on I-4 to the WDW resorts. There is a large difference between taking a passenger car on a toll road and tolls for a truck with a trailer! Yes, it can be slow and congested at peak travel times in the morning and afternoon, but if you are arriving mid morning to about 3 pm it should be fairly clear sailing. Just pick your lane and stay in it and let the "locals" go around you. There are nice long merge lanes for on-coming traffic. I personally just pick the right hand lane and let them all drive around me. I stay with the flow of traffic but for some reason they don't like being behind the RV.:cool: Either way the signs for WDW are very good.

Thanks for that!

So the non toll is a No go then?

Chas. H

Upvote 0

Bobs87

The only reason I ask is that we have never rented a car whilst visiting WDW. We get a limo or magically express from the airport and then use disney transport. Just wondering if you needed a car and whether it would save some disney dollars!!

Upvote 0

Chas. Harding

Original Poster
The only reason I ask is that we have never rented a car whilst visiting WDW. We get a limo or magically express from the airport and then use disney transport. Just wondering if you needed a car and whether it would save some disney dollars!!

Unfortunately I think that Disney Express only does Orlando Airport and not Sanford.

......anyway have you seen how many shops there are in Orlando/Kissamee?

Gotta get to them somehow!

Chas H.

Upvote 0

pixiesteno

Thanks for that!

So the non toll is a No go then?

Chas. H
No, it is just a matter of preference. I-4 (no toll) will have traffic, how much is dependent on time of day.
Rt417 (toll) will have traffic and quite possibly some construction. However, for a good portion of it you should have light traffic depending on time of day you are arriving.
Either road is marked well to get you to WDW. Have a wonderful time!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom