Hitchhiking Ghosts at Disneyland getting the MK treatment?

PiratesMansion

MKs hitchhiking ghosts aren’t the best but i find the old version to look pretty out of date as well
Here's my take on it:
The classic version fits with the rest of the tone/tech level of the rest of the ride.

The newer version is clearly of a different generation of tech that doesn't blend with the rest of the ride at all and calls attention to itself in a way that is jarring. I have a similar issue with Constance.

But beyond that, the classic version is interactive in a fun way and you can do with it what you want. *You* determine what happens and how you interact with them. For the newer version, you just sit there and technology interacts with you. So what is ironically supposed to be more "interactive" for the rider ends up being more passive as we just sit there and see what they new HH Ghosts will do with us this time. And no matter what is done with me as a rider, not only is it not particularly engaging, but I have lost much of my ability to engage with the HHG and make the experience unique on my own terms. What's supposed to be a step forward becomes a step backward.

And tonally the new ones are a mess. The entire mood of the Mansion is relatively restrained and understated, even when the ghosts have their grand party in the graveyard, but then suddenly the HH Ghosts are there swapping our faces with theirs or making them fly away like a balloon that's lost all of its air. So on the ride now, prior to coming in contact with the new HHGs, we were experiencing an attraction that works as a slow burn, restrained, tonal drama, only to suddenly we come face to face with some clowns that have come out of nowhere and are pulling out all the stops to make the five year olds laugh. It's too jarring a transition to be effective.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

This is also a bit worrisome...

• Reimagined New Orleans Square fountain plaza: Nestled between Tiana’s Palace restaurant and the Haunted Mansion, the Spanish fountain plaza featuring historic magnolia trees will be transformed. The Haunted Mansion’s queue expansion will take over part of this plaza area and the remaining space will be reimagined with new landscaping, a reworked bandstand, and additional seating for Tiana’s Palace.
"New landscaping" to me implies that at least one or some of the historic trees are being axed as the the area is not only being shrunk down but already full of trees.
Looks like Tiana’s invading the Mansion too!

Phroobar

OIG1.VWSzILbJYQ.DSu9BV18.

Too Many Hats

I dunno. The auction update is terrible and overshadows all of the tasteful stuff. If I had my way we’d have the old auction scene with the Davy Jones projection back with no octopus or new figure. Not sure if you count the Johnny Depp dialogue as a tweak but that’s pretty bad too.

Jungle Cruise tweaks were tasteful but redundant. I remember seeing someone call it the Primates and Pachyderms cruise. Lol. They should have replaced the headhunters with a different element of danger. Not a huge fan of the trash in the water in the Hippo section either.

HM tweaks at DL (not MK where they placed HBG in a terrible spot) have been fine except for the fake grass on the lawn.

Oh wow, I was never a fan of the waterfall projection but I'm a big big fan of the skeleton/pirate mirror effect and the octopus playing with the treasure. Perfect example of a tasteful update; it's an old-school-style illusion that feels like it's been there forever. So glad they restored the "Properly warned ye be says I" narration as well.

Otherwise I oppose most of the updates to Pirates. The hen auction is dreadful and makes no sense. The constant "where be Captain Jack Sparrow??" dialogue is asinine. The attraction's original script was brilliant, "We wants the redhead" and all.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Not sure if this is true but MC article today mentioned that Disney stated that “some of the historic trees here will be saved and integrated into the reimagined area.”

Yikes, if true, so much worse than I thought.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Oh wow, I was never a fan of the waterfall projection but I'm a big big fan of the skeleton/pirate mirror effect and the octopus playing with the treasure. Perfect example of a tasteful update; it's an old-school-style illusion that feels like it's been there forever. So glad they restored the "Properly warned ye be says I" narration as well.

Otherwise I oppose most of the updates to Pirates. The hen auction is dreadful and makes no sense. The constant "where be Captain Jack Sparrow??" dialogue is asinine. The attraction's original script was brilliant, "We wants the redhead" and all.

Oh I was never a fan of the projection either. My point is that I’d take all the old stuff I didn’t like back if we could go back to the old auction scene. I imagine most around here would. The skeleton/ pirate mirror effect is great but it came during the same refresh as the auction change. In short, if I could go back five years or whenever these changes took place I would. The tasteful changes of that refresh are overshadowed by the awful new auction scene.

Parteecia

I'm not sure an auction scene can be saved. The new one is bad but it wasn't good to 1. have women being sold and 2. valued purely on their looks, with 3. the less attractive women hoping to be bought by a man. I mean, really, they thought the crying young girl being consoled by her mother was funny? Maybe they should do something else entirely.

Consumer

I'm not sure an auction scene can be saved. The new one is bad but it wasn't good to 1. have women being sold and 2. valued purely on their looks, with 3. the less attractive women hoping to be bought by a man. I mean, really, they thought the crying young girl being consoled by her mother was funny? Maybe they should do something else entirely.
Yes.

duncedoof

The auction scene should have been totally changed instead of just downgraded. I would have taken the sword fighting pirated from Paris in that scene instead.
They should've taken the dialogue out of context and only rid of the bride auction aspect. I've seen people propose solutions that take this approach already. Would've been less costly, and the scene would still be funny and not a snore.

Rob562

I'd love if they used tech to enhance the scares from being more than just moving heads on sticks.

I *might* be ok if the new HHG effect is somewhere between the old and the new. If the screens were set back at the same depth as the current figures, and they did not do the silly cartoonish guest interactions, that might look ok.

Though one issue with the MK projections is sightlines and angles. With physical figures, the reflections always lined up to the viewer not just in your car but for the cars on either side of you too. So if you're in a group and looking in the mirror at the reflection of adjacent friends, you saw what they saw in a realistic 3D manner.

But however they implemented the projected effects in MK, once you get off-center the effects no longer seem to line up properly. I'm not sure if that's a result of the angles of a flat 2D effect in a 3D world, or if it's because of how they implemented the effect (isn't it Musion/reflected image?)

If they can work out the viewing angle issue *and* tone down the cartooishness, I might be ok.

Did DL ever get the upgraded "moving" sound system in the stretching rooms? That was a solid upgrade in MK's Mansion.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom