Hilton Garden Inn Lake Buena Vista/Orlando Hotel Review

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
Here's a little review I wrote about our stay at the Hilton Garden Inn @ Lake Buena Vista/Orlando. The hotel review is copied and pasted from: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...Lake_Buena_Vista_Orlando-Orlando_Florida.html

Hilton Garden Inn Lake Buena Vista/Orlando
11400 Marbella Palm Court, Orlando, FL 32836
(407) 239-9550

“Rude Staff, Humid Hallways, Loud TVs, Small Showers, and Hard Mattresses”

The only saving grace to this experience was that we were here for one (1) night! Had we been in Orlando longer, we would've checked out and gone elsewhere. The Hilton Garden Inn in Lake Buena Vista is located on Marabella Palm Court near Palm Parkway and SR 535 conveniently located to restaurants, shopping, and Downtown Disney. My review is based on the one night my wife and I stayed there.

Normally, in my past experiences, I never had a problem with the hotel staff in any Hilton property and if there was a problem, the employee did everything they could to rectify the situation and make it better. But, this time it was extremely different.

My wife and I arrive on propery at around noon on Saturday. We were fortunate enough to get a room early, but the girl working the front desk that day was either having a bad day or she just didn't want to make an effort to find a room for us to check in. After standing at the front desk for approximately ten minutes, she got us a room and sent us on our way.

As my wife and I were heading up to our room on the second floor, we noticed how warm and humid the halls were. Maybe they were having issues with the air conditioning in the building? But, you shouldn't have to sweat if your room is only 30 feet from the elevator. We get to our room and the room is ice cold!! I loved it!! It was refreshing! I'm not sure if the rest of the HVAC department at the hotel got the memo that if you have a hotel in Florida and its open in the middle of summer, your hallways need to be cool and comfortable, too. It's part of the guest experience and this guest (me) was not impressed.

As we were settling in, we saw the bed had a sleep number dial (there's a card in the room that describes this) and this was a chore to find because the cover that was hiding the dial was the same color as the mattress (something about white on white doesn't show well). So, as we were fiddling around with the dial, our bed wasn't getting any softer....it was just HARD. There was just no give in the mattress.

We had a flat panel TV in our room. When we turned it on, we got blasted out of the room. The remote control was a tad picky and it seemed like for every other click of the volume down button on the remote, the volume went down only slightly on the TV. Eventually, we set the volume at a normal audible level until we turned the TV off and braced ourselves for when the TV was turned back on.

We turned the TV off and headed out to Epcot where we spent the rest of the day. When we got back to the hotel to take a shower, we noticed how small the shower was. We're not short or skinny people, but when I'm soaping up my legs in the shower and my head is an inch away from the wall, the showers need a re-model, and the towel shelf in the shower needs to be relocated elsewhere in the bathroom. My thought was to take the picture down that's hanging above the toilet and put the rack there. There's nothing like accidentally soaking down your clean towels while in the shower. I've done it in the past at other hotels and it's enough to really ruin your night. But, in this case, I had the bed take care of ruining my night.

Based on this review, would we stay here again? Maybe. Who knows? I've re-reviewed hotels after staying at them for a second or third time and sometimes the review is worlds better (or worse) depending on the experience and what's happening at the hotel at the time. So, if you're into staff who are not interested in doing their jobs, sauna-like hotels, TVs that will rock your world, showers that were built for small people, and sleeping on concrete-like surfaces? This place is for you!

Disney Dawg88

ntn_haqqer - I travel to Orlando for work once per month and stay in the Disney area usually for three to four nights. I've been a Diamond member, Hilton's highest reward tier, with Hilton for almost seven years and I've stayed at the majority of the hotels, Hilton and non-Hilton, in the Disney/Lake Buena Vista area. I've been staying at this hotel regularly for the past two years after it opened, and I've stayed there nine nights since the end of November. Let me say too that I don't have any personal interests in this hotel - relative that works there, etc, but I'm very surprised to read your review of this place as I've found it to be one of the better value hotels ($85-$120 a night in my book) in the area. It's also surprising because on your link to TripAdvisor, of the 167 reviews of the hotel, 30 (18% of total reviews) of them rated the hotel average, poor, or terrible. 82% rated the hotel very good or excellent so they must be doing something right. A couple of things:

Receptionist - the person that greeted you should not have been rude to you, and you're right maybe she was having a bad day, still not an excuse. There have been some people that worked at the hotel for a while that remember me when I check in, but over the past six months or so it seems like there are always new faces. I've checked in at all hours of the day and through my experiences the people have been pretty friendly and have allowed me to check in early like they did for you. But, again they shouldn't have been rude to you. Also, you mentioned that, "After standing at the front desk for approximately ten minutes" I can't figure out what possibly could have kept you at the desk for that long. With me, all they ask for is credit card, ID, then hand me the small packet, and tell me about the parking pass. That usually just takes a couple of minutes . . . I'm not sure why it took you ten minutes . . . ? I'm not sure if you were upset about that, but you mentioned it and I thought I would mention my usual experience.

Warm and humid halls - you know how you always remember little things about a place or experience? Well for some reason I always remember the hallways at this hotel being freezing for some reason. Was it like that at night when you got back from Epcot or the next morning when you left? Don't know why it was like that when you checked in but through my experiences it's never been a problem.

Loud TVs - I don't know if the previous person in the room screwed around with the TV to get the volume to do that to you but this is just odd. I can't attest that I've never had this problem at this hotel or any of the other ones that I've stayed at. I just don't know what to say here.

Shower - I have to disagree with you on this. I'm 5'10" and 200 pounds and there is enough room in that shower to get the job done. The shower is almost the length of the bathroom so there's no way that you bent down to soap your legs and your head was an inch from the wall, maybe if you were standing in the middle of the shower. Now if there were two of you in that shower at the same time that's a different story ;). I have always thought that the shower was oddly designed because you have to open up the door, turn the shower head to face the wall, then turn on the water so that it gets warm, then get in and turn the shower head to point at you. I've never seen a shower designed so odd, it's as if they weren't thinking when it was being drawn up.
In regards to the shower rack, I agree that it could be moved in the bathroom over the toilet but it's never bothered me where it's at. That's just me though. I don't know how you could have accidentally soaken down your towels unless you intentionally turned the shower head all the way up as high as it could go to shoot water on them, and I'm not sure the shower head turns up that high to do so. I might be staying here next week and I will give it a shot.

Bed - I remember the first night I stayed at this hotel I got up to get moving the next morning and my back killed me. The bed was hard as I completely forgot to adjust the sleep number. Now after I adjusted it that next day I had a great night of sleep. I don't know if the bed didn't work or what but usually the sleep number beds take a little while to adjust, but you should notice it pretty quickly. I'm not sure how you didn't see the adjustment , I realize that it was white on white but the thick flap covering up the bulges out through the fitted sheet, and with the fitted sheet pulled up it's pretty easy to find in my opinion. I'm sorry to hear you had difficulty with that.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience with this hotel. Again, I have no ties to the hotel at all. I hope you don't take my reply like I'm bashing you or trying to say that you're wrong, your experience and thoughts are what you think of the place and that's your opinion. Like I said I haven't had a problem with this hotel and I've stayed there nine nights since November. It's one of my six or seven regular hotels that I stay at when I'm in the area for work. As you said at the end of your post, you re-rate hotels after you stay at them again. I hope you do try it out again because it's one of the nicer hotels, and value, there on Palm Parkway. Hopefully you have better luck next time.

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
ntn_haqqer - I travel to Orlando for work once per month and stay in the Disney area usually for three to four nights. I've been a Diamond member, Hilton's highest reward tier, with Hilton for almost seven years and I've stayed at the majority of the hotels, Hilton and non-Hilton, in the Disney/Lake Buena Vista area.

DisneyDawg,

I guess it's being at the right place at the right time. So, experiences are going to vary from person to person. In regards to the hallways, they were warm during the day, but freezing cold at night. So, it might've been a manager that was adjusting the thermostat for the halls. Who knows?

I was a Diamond Hilton Honors member, myself, but because of the lack of travel and inactivity on the Hilton Honors card, I was demoted back to Blue. That's ok..I hope to get back to that Diamond status soon enough.

Let me know how your stay went. I'm interested in reading about it!

Thanks for the reply!

-Jason

Disney Dawg88

"So, experiences are going to vary from person to person." Totally agree with you Jason. I'm just sorry you had a bad experience, again I've thought that this hotel was sort of a hidden gem and never had any issues in the past, I guess I've been lucky. But I know my opinion is different from everyone else's opinion.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost Diamond status, Hilton runs promotions all the time that allow you to get back up to certain status levels with very few stays. I know a buddy of mine who is silver called Hilton and they said if he stayed four times within two months that they would bump him up to gold. Might be worth a try since you were once diamond, you could say that your company made you stay with another hotel chain . . . ? Give it a shot.

wdwjmp239

Original Poster
"So, experiences are going to vary from person to person." Totally agree with you Jason. I'm just sorry you had a bad experience, again I've thought that this hotel was sort of a hidden gem and never had any issues in the past, I guess I've been lucky. But I know my opinion is different from everyone else's opinion.

I'm sorry to hear that you lost Diamond status, Hilton runs promotions all the time that allow you to get back up to certain status levels with very few stays. I know a buddy of mine who is silver called Hilton and they said if he stayed four times within two months that they would bump him up to gold. Might be worth a try since you were once diamond, you could say that your company made you stay with another hotel chain . . . ? Give it a shot.

Yeah, a buddy of mine is always hounding me to open up American Express credit card accounts to get so many points on a Hilton Honors card. I'm not a big fan of opening up credit card accounts, so I just ignore his houndings. LOL!!

I'll check out the other options, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom