Highschool Musical news

Chape19714

CThaddeus said:
While I like the Tomorrowland here in California, the theme is going to be damaged with the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. Regardless of what some people think of Stitch's Great Escape! it has a futuristic theme (space aliens, laser cannons, etc.) and fits in Tomorrowland well. Nemo does not (fish, in case there be those here who have been living in a cave). I'd have liked it better if they'd found a way to link it to Fantasyland instead (kind of like the Indy Speedway at the Magic Kingdom should be linked to Toontown or Fantasyland).
Now as for the Monsters, Inc. attraction, yeah, I don't feel that fits well, but I'll reserve judgment until it opens. Maybe Mike and Sully get thrown into the future or some other odd twist like that. And any stage show in Tomorrowland should really have some kind of futuristic bent, and not just be some silly Cliff's notes version of "Grease for Kids." Regardless, Disney will do what it wants, but I agree it's a shame to lose the Tomorrowland theme. Disney-MGM is a much better location, in my opinion.
Yes, but how did the previous submarine voyage fit with tomorrowland? And the Matterhorn was once a tomorrowland attraction, it has since moved into Fantasyland (or they moved fantasyland out). I realize your complaint, but it's been going on for quite a while now.

rwrocksme

HSMaybe Not....

I love High School Musical, really, but TOMORROWLAND? :brick: Huh? I think the MGM idea is better...they could even put props from the movie in the theater. Well, as they say in HSM, we're all in this together....maybe we can FIX THIS HORROR!

HHI Surfer

:/ Would you guys rather that theater sit there and not be used? The last time I saw anything going on in that theater was like 7 or 8 years ago, and I make 1-2 trips just about every year, usually during peak times. High School Musical is extremely popular among the younger set and I'm sure if I was an eleven year-old I'd be thrilled about this news. And I have faith that they'll make the show entertaining to kids and adults, in trademark Disney fashion.

Personally I think it's a great idea. An excellent way to incorporate a popular Disney license without a tremendous expense (i. e. building new space.)

DisneyBride94

Epcot82Guy said:
wow. we need to chat with some placement people if this is true. Not only is this poorly placed in TL, I agree that there are TONS of MGM locations that would be great for this type of show. It would help boost some areas that are lagging in that park (although, granted, MGM does have a lot of shows already).

I still wish they would divide MGM into areas related to Disney production, including a TV section that can utilize Disney Channel and ABC materials.

Oooh.... I like that idea.... I'd like an ABC programming pavilion with Desperate Housewives and Lost. :) Sigh...and now I am reminded that I am waiting for the new seasons that don't start until October... (Figures. Lost starts its new season while I'm at Disney... Thank God for Tivo, Slingbox, and wireless networks.)

socalkdg

Looks like it is coming to DCA as a daily parade with a couple show stops. They are looking for the people this month.

From Disney Auditions:

08/14/06 High School Musical Pep Rally

Disney Entertainment Productions is holding an Open Call for male and female singers to star in an all new high-energy interactive celebration based on the smash-hit Disney Channel original movie, High School Musical. This show will be performed outdoors at Disney's California Adventure® Park. Performers of all ethnicities are encouraged to attend.

Role Descriptions:

Guy: male to portray age 16-17, strong principal vocalist, energetic, charming, strong mover, athletic, comfortable handling a basketball, high tenor

Gal: female to portray age 16-17, strong principal vocalist, engaging, good dancer, belting alto

Date/Time:
Monday, August 14
10:00 am
(sign-in begins at 9:30 am)

Invitational callbacks to be held August 16th

10501 Burbank Blvd.
N. Hollywood, CA 91601

Requirements:

• Prepare 16 bars of a contemporary musical theatre selection showing enthusiasm and personality; an accompanist will be provided
  • Dress appropriately for a possible movement evaluation
  • Bring a current headshot and resume
  • Performers must be at least 18 years of age

wdwishes2005

HHI Surfer said:
:/ Would you guys rather that theater sit there and not be used? The last time I saw anything going on in that theater was like 7 or 8 years ago, and I make 1-2 trips just about every year, usually during peak times. High School Musical is extremely popular among the younger set and I'm sure if I was an eleven year-old I'd be thrilled about this news. And I have faith that they'll make the show entertaining to kids and adults, in trademark Disney fashion.

Personally I think it's a great idea. An excellent way to incorporate a popular Disney license without a tremendous expense (i. e. building new space.)
I much rather see it rot than detract from the theming.

CThaddeus

Chape19714 said:
Yes, but how did the previous submarine voyage fit with tomorrowland? And the Matterhorn was once a tomorrowland attraction, it has since moved into Fantasyland (or they moved fantasyland out). I realize your complaint, but it's been going on for quite a while now.

The Submarine Voyage was a trip through liquid space - "The last frontier on our planet Earth." It was futuristic in the sense that people couldn't just hop aboard a submarine and take a trip below the North Pole. Today, it doesn't seem quite so futuristic, but back when it first opened, I'm guessing it was pretty darned forward-thinking. People didn't have the exposure to the world we do today.
As for the Matterhorn, you're right. It did fluctuate between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland in the guide books for the first few years. Eventually, though, they made the right decision and left it in Fantasyland. I think Disneyland has, for the most part, though, done a very good job of keeping Tomorrowland either futuristic, or at least just beyond "today."

HHI Surfer

wdwishes2005 said:
I much rather see it rot than detract from the theming.

Eh, I disagree, but I can see where you're coming from. The theater is sort of out of the way, anyways.. I hardly even notice it's there, anymore (and I don't believe that's a good thing).

Just saying if I was a Disney executive, I would have OK'd this in a heartbeat, as a way to attract younger audiences without having to spend a tremendous chunk of change. And don't mistake it - that is good for all of us.

imagineer boy

CThaddeus said:
The Submarine Voyage was a trip through liquid space - "The last frontier on our planet Earth." It was futuristic in the sense that people couldn't just hop aboard a submarine and take a trip below the North Pole. Today, it doesn't seem quite so futuristic, but back when it first opened, I'm guessing it was pretty darned forward-thinking. People didn't have the exposure to the world we do today.

Very well said. I think they could've easily have brought it back without Nemo by making it more high tech and elements of sci-fi like the Atlantis scene. Also think it could've been cool if they did a more intense sea serpent attack.

Chape19714

CThaddeus said:
As for the Matterhorn, you're right. It did fluctuate between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland in the guide books for the first few years. Eventually, though, they made the right decision and left it in Fantasyland. I think Disneyland has, for the most part, though, done a very good job of keeping Tomorrowland either futuristic, or at least just beyond "today."
I'm still a bit perplexed at how Honey I shrunk the Audience fits into it. The movie isn't exactly futuristic as it is modern-day. I agree DL does a Fantastic Job keeping rides in thier proper place. WDW on the other hand...well, we're kinda cought with a slightly different layout then DL, so it's not as easy to get the same attractions into the proper land.

WDWparadetech1

Im a lighting tech here at WDW (among other things). Yes from what I have been tld its going into the tomorrowland theatre. As for the noise issue, I think that they have ideas on how they can control that.

With my knowledge of all the theatres in WDW. The worst theatre they could have put it in is the Tomorowland theatre. Its isnt very well equipped, doesnt have a fly gallery, wing space is limited, teh lighting board sucks, not even a fly rail, there are only about 6 dead hung line sets.

In my thoughts its should go into its own little theatre. Dont know where, but somewhere.

MMP

The way I see it, the show is going to be pretty temporary and it isn't going to change the theme of the theatre or the decor so it isn't that big of a deal.

Chape19714

WDWparadetech1 said:
Im a lighting tech here at WDW (among other things). Yes from what I have been tld its going into the tomorrowland theatre. As for the noise issue, I think that they have ideas on how they can control that.

With my knowledge of all the theatres in WDW. The worst theatre they could have put it in is the Tomorowland theatre. Its isnt very well equipped, doesnt have a fly gallery, wing space is limited, teh lighting board sucks, not even a fly rail, there are only about 6 dead hung line sets.

In my thoughts its should go into its own little theatre. Dont know where, but somewhere.
O man, if there is no Fly rail system...then I'm not sure what can be done...that's definately 1 against that theatre. Hopefully the set will be simple, and if it's in the daytime, the lighting won't be such a big deal, but sorry you have to work with a crappy board, that's never fun.

Does ABC TV Theatre have a fly system?

JimboJones123

Tomorrowland Stage wasn't ever really used for FUTURISTIC C3PO shows. It has been used for character shows, a princess show, dance shows, Christmas shows, and many other thing. It isn't meant only for Retro-futuristic entertainment. Concerts have been held there. At Disneyland -- Yes, in the Walt days for all you WWWD freaks, Tomorrowland was a place for the youth. They had concerts and dance parties there at the After Darks, and even during the regular days too. Part of the tomorrowland theme is a place for YUTES! You know, Tweenie and Teenieboppers. When you graduate Fantasyland, you go to Tomorrowland. So this is actually a great place for this show and actually follows the theme of a Hip Young Concert venue-- Which is what the tomorrowland stage has been and was meant to be. Tomorrowland isn't Sci-Fi land. And the stage area has always had a Young/Pre-adult/Fresh theme to it. A little more dangerous than fluffy bunnies and a segue to adulthood theming. Am I the only one that sees this over the years from both DL's theming from the beginning and WDWs theming too? That's why monsters and Incredibles fit. That's why this show belongs. It doesn't fit in disney studios, because PLAYS/MUSICALS DON'T OCCUR IN STUDIOS. It isn't Disney/MGM Things that entertain people with actors and music park.

JimboJones123

wdwishes2005 said:
Somewhere not in TL. What kind of idiot would greenlight this? Where is corrus?

Isn't Corrus "in" w/ imagineering? Bless him for that, but why do people say "better get Corrus for confirmation" when it has to do with entertainment? Weird?

wdwishes2005

Sorry, that was sort of off topic. I just noticed that he hadn't been on in a week or so. I figured he might have heard something somewhere.

CThaddeus

JimboJones123 said:
It doesn't fit in disney studios, because PLAYS/MUSICALS DON'T OCCUR IN STUDIOS. It isn't Disney/MGM Things that entertain people with actors and music park.

Maybe I'm missing your meaning, but just about every musical ever made was shot in a studio. And, unless I'm really wrong, at least one musical I can think of actually took place in a studio - "Singin' in the Rain" (which, incidentally, not only is represented in The Great Movie Ride, but as an umbrella on New York Street). While you are correct in that most of the shows in Tomorrowland don't really have a futuristic theme (except for the current Buzz Lightyear show in Disneyland), a High School Musical show would still really fit better in the Studios...in my opnion.

Legacy

WDWparadetech1 said:

All the shows I had seen in that theater had no need for fly-space or an advanced lighting console. I haven't seen the film (I might rent it... :lookaroun ), but from what I am gathering there is no real need for an advanced set. It could just be a gym and EVERYTHING can take place there. Considering it's most likely just going to be Song, Song, Song, Song, Song in nature... I see no reason for too much effort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom