Highlights of My Disney Internship (with pictures!)

I just had the absolute time of my life, working as an Epcot Science Team intern for the past 6 months. My major responsibilities were caring for the plants and greenhouse facilities that made up part of the attraction Living with the Land. In addition, I had some really unique experiences during the 6 months. Here are some highlights:
  • At The Land, I was assigned to the String, or Production, greenhouse which supplies some of the food used in the Epcot restaurants. It was so cool to be able to walk out into the Sunshine Seasons seating area and see Guests actually eating food that I had grown and harvested. I also was able to work on several of The Land’s most famous crops, namely the Tomato and Cucumber trees and the Mickey-shaped pumpkins. I was on the team that counted the last batch of cucumbers from the record-breaking tree (the last one, by the way, was Mickey-shaped). I also got to help install many Mickey pumpkin molds, including the giant one currently onstage. I also had the opportunity to create several new show elements, such as the Epcot logo design in the lettuce, and the “Earning My Ears” ribbons for the Mickey pumpkins.
eb3303eb.jpg

eb29abe4.jpg

• I was a guide for the Behind the Seeds tour, and had the opportunity to meet Guests from all over the United States and from many different countries (Holland, Jamaica, Great Britain, Belgium, Germany, Australia, South Africa and China just to name a few). It was fascinating to hear all of the different views that many of my international Guests had, particularly about Biotechnology.
  • I also met many, many wonderful Cast Members from all around property (several of whom are members of WDWMagic :wave: ).
  • Through the ever-so-magical Extra Hours Hotline, I got to work at least one shift in all 4 parks and Downtown Disney, including the Serka Zong Bazaar, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Briar Patch/Splashdown Photo, Tatooine Traders and the DisneyQuest Emporium. It was really cool to see the different backstage areas of each of the parks.
  • I was also a Candy Runner for Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party and handed out party hats and horns on New Year’s Eve at Magic Kingdom.
  • I was a member of the 2006 Candlelight Processional Cast Choir. It was such an incredible experience! We started rehearsals back in September. I attended 10 of them, including one dress rehearsal at Epcot that started at 10:30 PM and ended at 3:30 AM. Since I had to work at 7:30 that morning, I obtained security clearance and slept in my car parked behind the greenhouses—I can legitimately say that I spent the night in a Disney theme park. The Candlelight performances were even more incredible. They really helped me to get into the Christmas spirit when I was so far away from home. I sang in shows with Rita Moreno, Brian Dennehy, Neil Patrick Harris, Kirk Cameron and Gary Sinese.
  • I got to be on the very last boat through Living with the Land with a human narrator, and on one of the first through with the automated spiel.
  • Through the Disney Learning Center, I took backstage tours of Spaceship Earth and the Great Movie Ride. It was really cool to see the inner workings of these attractions, and, in the case of Spaceship Earth, some bits and pieces of older versions of the attraction. I also got some really cool pictures of the Great Movie Ride sets and AA figures.
  • As a part of various Cast events, I got to tour the American Adventure, Wonders of Life and The Land VIP lounges.
  • I attended the dress rehearsal of the Illuminations holiday tag. Basically, a group of 100 or so Cast Members got to have a private showing of Illuminations: Reflections of Earth (without pyro), and then the Let There Be Peace on Earth tag (with pyro, lots of it). Of course all of this was at 11:30 at night. I kept thinking of the poor guests in the Swan and Dolphin. Right after, I saw the Epcot Christmas tree angel riding around on the back of a pargo. It turns out that they were setting up the Christmas tree right after the dress rehearsal. By the time I came back through the next morning on the way to work, the tree was fully assembled and show-ready.
  • I saw two space shuttle launches, one from backstage behind the greenhouses, and the most recent one from a vantage point in front of Mission: Space.
eb3302a7.jpg

• I also had the honor of being featured in the Main Street Diary.
As you can see, I was pretty busy during the past 6 months. Of course, I also spent a lot of time playing in the parks as a Guest.

This is, of course, just a Cliff’s Notes version of my experiences, just covering the more unusual things. I’ll likely be adding a lot more to it, including a lot more details on things I learned in the greenhouses. I’ll also be adding a few more of the 1,000 + pictures I took. If you have any questions, please ask!

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Here are some of my favorite pictures:

Tomorrowland at night.
eb32fd9c.jpg

Spaceship Earth
eb32fbf1.jpg

Expedition: Everest
eb32f6ef.jpg

The Castle at sunest
eb32f138.jpg

The Universe of Energy at sunset. I waited about 20 minutes for the darn monorail to show up... :)
eb32f094.jpg

Mission: Space
eb32f076.jpg

Captain Hank

Original Poster
More:

Love it or hate it, the hat makes for a good picture.
eb32e3ec.jpg

The Osborne Spectacle of Lights was just that--a spectacle!
eb32e306.jpg

Another shot of Mission: Space
eb32df68.jpg

The Princess unit of the Disney Dreams Come True parade.
eb32ddfb.jpg

Wishes
eb32dd34.jpg

And more Wishes.
eb32dc7b.jpg

More to come, though tomorrow, probably.

Steve-B

Two thumbs way, way up! Reading your report (so far) makes me wish I was 30 years younger and able to have that experience, too. I'm looking forward to reading more and seeing more of your great photos.

BTW - if that college thing doesn't work out, you may have a future in photography.

Epcot82Guy

Thanks for the report, Harry. Glad to hear things ended up well for you. I still love that Epcot raceway pattern. I remember seeing it in the design phase. It looks outstanding.

David

Sounds like you had an incredible experience and thanks for the great pictures. Like an earlier poster said, I really like the one of the castle.

DisneySaint

Great report, H.

It was a pleasure working with you and I hope you come see me sometime soon in my new location!

P.S. - No one told me you were such an amazing photographer. What a great camera, too.

Great report and gorgeous pictures! I loved reading about your internship and look forward to reading more. what a wonderful experience! Thanks so much for sharing with us ;-)

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the kind words! I don't have time to write any more tonight, but I'll try to tomorrow. In the meantime, here are some more of my pictures:

Inferno Barge in Illuminations
eb1b7cbb.jpg

Illuminations
eb32f017.jpg

Illuminations Let there be Peace on Earth finale
eb18500f.jpg

Fountain of Nations
eb32e7f7.jpg

Illuminations Torch
eb185941.jpg

C-3PO and R2-D2 in the hieroglyphics in the Great Movie Ride
eb1b69ae.jpg

Mickey and Donald in the hieroglyphics in the Great Movie Ride
eb1b6993.jpg

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Prizewinner Pumpkins. They can reach 150-200 lbs. each. They're hanging around in hammocks so they don't break the stems.
eb183a36.jpg

A Prizewinner being molded into Mickey. It's upside-down to help reduce stress on the mold. However, it didn't work, and about a week later it started breaking through the mold.
eb29abcb.jpg

Our world-famous Tomato Tree!
eb1837e4.jpg

Jackfruit. They look like pod people, taste like Juicy Fruit gum, and stink to high heaven. Pretty tasty, though.
eb18386c.jpg

The upside-down waterfall outside of Journey into Imagination.
eb29ac4e.jpg

Italy.
eb29ac7d.jpg

The train station during Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
eb29ac1d.jpg

The Headless Horseman rides tonight!
eb32e540.jpg

The villians unit in the Disney Dreams Come True Parade.
eb32f5e7.jpg

The Cinderella statue in Fantasyland
eb32ed94.jpg

Captain Hank

Original Poster
I just turned off the flash and put it into the auto long exposure mode. I also purchased a small tripod (about a foot tall at its tallest) from Target. I quickly discovered that trash cans make a fantastic base from which to shoot pictures--they're everywhere!

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
I just turned off the flash and put it into the auto long exposure mode. I also purchased a small tripod (about a foot tall at its tallest) from Target. I quickly discovered that trash cans make a fantastic base from which to shoot pictures--they're everywhere!

So true! They are the lazy person's tripod. No need to schlepp a tripod around when you have trash cans. They are the perfect height in many cases, they don't move (well..most don't :lookaroun) and there is one every 10 feet! Not to mention, they are the cleanest trash cans in the world! Where else can you go and find a person drying off trash cans after it rains? :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom