Highlights from the Joe Rhode "podcast" about Expedition Everest

speck76

cherrynegra said:
I have to politely disagree with those that view the environmental or conservation aspect in DAK as political. I view the push for conservation as an educational element or theme running throughout all of the attractions there. Now, I know it's a theme park, but let's face it, despite what all the advertising says about how AK is Natahzu, it is a zoo!! And you can't have attractions or exhibits in a zoo and then expect them not to emphasize conservation. I mean, wouldn't you want to educate people about the precariousness of many of the habitats that these beautiful creatures come from? Wouldn't you consider it odd if they hadn't emphasized it in a zoo? I expect a suspension of belief in the other three parks, but a little less so here because of the nature of the park.

Now, this doesn't mean that I don't think Disney handles the issue of conservation and environmental issues beautifully. I think it's handled a bit clumsily in the Kali and Safari attraction. Yes, I think you would still be able to emphasize the point of preserving habitats and species without throwing in a dead elephant carcass. But I think when taking the entire AK park in terms of a unifying message, I don't see anything wrong with them trying to promote conservation and educating guests on environmental issues that affect the creatures therein.

I feel they should push the issues by inspiring people to "make the right choice"....not by jamming dead rhinos and elephants down your throat. Shocking or guilting people to make the right choice is not very pleasant.

CTXRover

I think the conservation theme is VERY important for nearly all attractions at AK. In many cases its subtle, but its there if you want to pick it up. I'd say the same will easily go for EE. Some will porbably just enjoy its coaster-like thrills, and others will come away with something much bigger and important, but it doesn't seem like the message will be spoon-fed to you as was the critique of many original Epcot rides. The extra stuff is what takes this from just another ride and makes it a story, as the Imagineers have said.

CTXRover

speck76 said:
I feel they should push the issues by inspiring people to "make the right choice"....not by jamming dead rhinos and elephants down your throat. Shocking or guilting people to make the right choice is not very pleasant.

And that's probably why that idea was dropped before it opened in favor of a ride that allows you to take in the beauty of KS along with the background poacher storyline for education.

speck76

CTXRover said:
And that's probably why that idea was dropped before it opened in favor of a ride that allows you to take in the beauty of KS along with the background poacher storyline for education.

they still have the video with the rhinos being shot, and the poached animals

mickey04

A bit off topic, but one of the big surprises from the pod cast for me was learning that the "e" on the end of Rhode is not silent. :p

But I am very excited to see the queue, and it's wonderful to see someone so passionate about their work. :D

cherrynegra

speck76 said:

I don't see those videos as pushing propaganda or shoving issues down your throat. Look, the fact is there are less than 3,000 rhinos left in the world. The facts of life are what they are. Poaching is not doing them any favors. I don't know, maybe it's a matter of perspective, but to me those videos show the immediacy of their possible extinction. As for inspiring people to "make the right choice," perhaps those videos will inspire more people to become involved in rhino conservation issues.

speck76

cherrynegra said:
I don't see those videos as pushing propaganda or shoving issues down your throat. Look, the fact is there are less than 3,000 rhinos left in the world. The facts of life are what they are. Poaching is not doing them any favors. I don't know, maybe it's a matter of perspective, but to me those videos show the immediacy of their possible extinction. As for inspiring people to "make the right choice," perhaps those videos will inspire more people to become involved in rhino conservation issues.

perhaps....I do think it should be handled in a different way....I do not know what that way is....

Above all, I think the msg is lost on most people that visit the park, they are not smart enough to "get it"

CTXRover

speck76 said:

Oh yea, you're right, I was thinking about the original plans to have a shot Big Red on the safari. Personally though, I think those videos are justified in a park like AK. Although your average guest to AK probably can't personally stop poaching, it is a major problem in parts of Africa and in some cases the fate of animal species is at the hand of these poachers. Sometimes shock value or displaying it like it really is and not sugar coating it can have a greater impact than just talking about it or reading about it. I think its an important message, even if in the end it just reaches a few people a day that walk through that queue.

cherrynegra

speck76 said:
perhaps....I do think it should be handled in a different way....I do not know what that way is....

Above all, I think the msg is lost on most people that visit the park, they are not smart enough to "get it"

Yes, I COMPLETELY agree with you.

DigitalDisney

Queue - I'd expect something similar to Kali. It's got almost the exact same setup (lots of small, connected buildings), and there was a Kali reference in the interview. Honestly, this works for me since I love the Kali queue. The queue is almost better than the ride.

As for comparing it to the DD queue, that may be pushing it. Even if you don't read any of the signs or listen to any of the dialog, you'll still get a lot out of that queue because it's one of the best themed lines in the business. There are rooms where everything is frozen, a giant door where you can hear a dragon heavily breathing, rooms full of skeletons, etc. It blows me away every time I walk through it.

AK's message - Disney can only spread the environmental message so thick. People don't go to WDW to be bombarded with the world's serious problems. They go there to escape the troubles of the world, and to have fun in places that are themed to another time and place. I mean, one of the most popular places in all of WDW is a place called Fantasyland. Not only that, but you don't pay > $50 to get an environmental message (which you may not even agree with) shoved down your throat.

So spare me and everyone else the environmental facts. Instead of telling me to change my life, why not show me how neat and diverse animals are, and make me want to explore the natural world more.

On an ironic note, AK's no straw policy, which is meant to be environmentally friendly, sure gets a lot of people mad. :)

Ituri13

DigitalDisney said:
Queue
On an ironic note, AK's no straw policy, which is meant to be environmentally friendly, sure gets a lot of people mad. :)

The no-straw policy is a standard for AZA accredited facilities. It has nothing to do with being "enviornmentally friendly". Straws are easily swallowed by animals (and many animals will try and eat them). This is not only hazardous, but undetectible because a clear plastic straw won't show on an x-ray. In a situation like this, the health of the animals, is far more important on whether a guest is angry because they can't figure out how to drink out of the side of a cup.

Disneyfan1981

Political or not political. Message or no message. Agenda or no agenda. The fact is this ride is going to be awesome and I can't wait! Planning my next trip around it!

RSoxNo1

DigitalDisney said:
Queue - I'd expect something similar to Kali. It's got almost the exact same setup (lots of small, connected buildings), and there was a Kali reference in the interview. Honestly, this works for me since I love the Kali queue. The queue is almost better than the ride.

As for comparing it to the DD queue, that may be pushing it. Even if you don't read any of the signs or listen to any of the dialog, you'll still get a lot out of that queue because it's one of the best themed lines in the business. There are rooms where everything is frozen, a giant door where you can hear a dragon heavily breathing, rooms full of skeletons, etc. It blows me away every time I walk through it.

AK's message - Disney can only spread the environmental message so thick. People don't go to WDW to be bombarded with the world's serious problems. They go there to escape the troubles of the world, and to have fun in places that are themed to another time and place. I mean, one of the most popular places in all of WDW is a place called Fantasyland. Not only that, but you don't pay > $50 to get an environmental message (which you may not even agree with) shoved down your throat.

So spare me and everyone else the environmental facts. Instead of telling me to change my life, why not show me how neat and diverse animals are, and make me want to explore the natural world more.

Epcot and the Animal Kingdom have always been about education as well as entertainment. The Magic Kingdom and MGM have always been about telling a story. The environmental facts are important. Things like the conservation station and the successful breading of endangered species help build Animal Kingdom's reputation and increase the opportunities for future endangered species to be under Disney's care. Maybe the environmental facts go in one ear and out the other for you. That's fine, I can't tell you to pay attention to them, but don't tell them to eliminate them. You know full well that there are kids out there that are inspired/troubled by some of these environmental messages and it causes them to persue a career in animal caretaking, habitat preservation or what have you.

sabian

speck76 said:

Look, I am conservative as they come; however, i must disagree. It troubles me that people tend to believe that because Disney uses Rhino carcasses and elephant carcasses to get their point across, that they are using guilt. Guys, it is a fact. Honestly, we in the U.S. or in any area that is non jungle/ savanna, whatever, have no idea what the effects of these problems ,such as poaching, are. Ok, so they can tell us in dialogue or writings, plaques, etc.. The effects won't be very strong among most people. Need proof? Most Americans did not become outraged over slavery until the graphic accounts were passed onto them in Uncle Tom's Cabin. Most Americans did not concern themselves with the plight of immigrants in early U.S., cities until Riis' photographs reached them. Bottom line, as painful and uncomfortable these images may be for some people, they are reality. I am no tree hugger or great environmentalist, heck, i use aerosol hair spray and styrofoam plates, as well as support drilling in ANWAR. However, i respect truth and reality and that what Animal Kingdom provides. :wave:

speck76

sabian said:
Look, I am conservative as they come; however, i must disagree. It troubles me that people tend to believe that because Disney uses Rhino carcasses and elephant carcasses to get their point across, that they are using guilt. Guys, it is a fact. Honestly, we in the U.S. or in any area that is non jungle/ savanna, whatever, have no idea what the effects of these problems ,such as poaching, are. Ok, so they can tell us in dialogue or writings, plaques, etc.. The effects won't be very strong among most people. Need proof? Most Americans did not become outraged over slavery until the graphic accounts were passed onto them in Uncle Tom's Cabin. Most Americans did not concern themselves with the plight of immigrants in early U.S., cities until Riis' photographs reached them. Bottom line, as painful and uncomfortable these images may be for some people, they are reality. I am no tree hugger or great environmentalist, heck, i use aerosol hair spray and styrofoam plates, as well as support drilling in ANWAR. However, i respect truth and reality and that what Animal Kingdom provides. :wave:

It is a Disney theme park, it does not need to be a megaphone for conservationism. How many people appreciate paying $60 to see the company attempt to shock guests into protecting the animals?

The view they want to spread should be delivered in a different way....inspire guests, don't shock them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom