Highlights from the Joe Rhode "podcast" about Expedition Everest

KevinPage

Original Poster
1 - WDI purpose to visit Tibet/Nepal/etc. is so they could recreate what the area is actually like, not what your stereotypical view of it is. This way it keeps you immersed and you don't shut your brain off thinking "oh I know what to expect".

2 - there is a constant sound of the wind whipping through the area. All the animals have different sounding bells on them in real life. So expect alot of different audio "cues" to reflect this on the attraction.

3 - the goal is to tell a story on many different levels. Some people will enjoy riding a roller coaster ride, some will enjoy reading all the text throughout the queue (which has been researched & verified).

4 - The Yeti is not a villan or misunderstood. The hope is that you understand the Yeti is perfectly justified in his behavior for wanting you out of the mountain. As explorers, not everything is yours for the taking. This underscores the conservation element.

5 - (and MOST IMPORTANT IMHO) as Joe stated, "I would never go through Fast Pass on this ride. You could not drag me onto the Fast Pass line. This ride is about the Standby line, which is fantastic. If we built that Standby line somewhere else in the world, you could charge people $$$ to through that alone (ie - without the ride). He then conceded you could maybe use FastPass on your 3rd ride. The interviewer mentioned that it would be like Kali River Rapids queue, but Joe ignored him and kept on talking. That's the only thing that could be a potential 'bummer'. Kali's is good but Joe is pumping this up to be on par with Dueling Dragons queue (my impression) & I'd be shocked if it was.

Lee

Adventurer
KevinPage said:
Kali's is good but Joe is pumping this up to be on par with Dueling Dragons queue (my impression) & I'd be shocked if it was.

Can't compare the two.
Dragons has a great queue, and sets the tone for the ride very nicely, but apart from the first room where the story of the dragons is told its all theme and no information.

Everest's queue will be full of information, about the Yeti and the area, but not as immersive theme-wise as Dragons.

KevinPage

Original Poster
Lee said:
Can't compare the two.
Dragons has a great queue, and sets the tone for the ride very nicely, but apart from the first room where the story of the dragons is told its all theme and no information.
Everest's queue will be full of information, about the Yeti and the area, but not as immersive theme-wise as Dragons.

Well it's GOOD fluff and I'll take a queue like that anyday.

I hoping that it is faaaaar better than Kali River Rapids though.

peter11435

speck76 said:
I like, but at the same time dislike the "political statements" that DAK continues to throw into the park.
I think it is a sad fact that in today’s world the idea of conservation and protecting the environment is considered a "political statement." Conservation is what Animal Kingdom is all about and I see no reason to change that.

nicholas

I sadly haven't been able to experience the queue at Dragons OR Kali yet. Each time I've ridden them, there has been no wait so we end up just walking through and not really taking any time to stop and absorb them. But listening to Joe on the podcast got me very excited for this queue. I just love how passionate he is about what he does, and it really comes across when he speaks. :)

speck76

peter11435 said:
I think it is a sad fact that in today’s world the idea of conservation and protecting the environment is considered a "political statement." Conservation is what Animal Kingdom is all about and I see no reason to change that.

In the end, DAK is a theme park.

When KS was built, they were going to have a fake dead Big Red on the attraction.......who the hell thought this would be a good idea?

peter11435

speck76 said:
In the end, DAK is a theme park.

When KS was built, they were going to have a fake dead Big Red on the attraction.......who the hell thought this would be a good idea?
Well, there are dead animals on the jungle cruise. And they were put in under Walt.

nicholas

Plus the difference is none of the animals on the Jungle Cruise were real, so when you see a dead one, you know it's fake. After seeing nothing but real animals the entire time on the safari, suddenly seeing a carcass would be much more of a shock to the system.

Well it's a good thing there are 3 other theme parks nearby that you can enjoy of you don't like a little reality with your entertainment. I think Animal Kingdom is fantastic and has a lot of potential...it's the closest thing we're going to get to DisneySea in the States in terms of realism and detail.

cherrynegra

I have to politely disagree with those that view the environmental or conservation aspect in DAK as political. I view the push for conservation as an educational element or theme running throughout all of the attractions there. Now, I know it's a theme park, but let's face it, despite what all the advertising says about how AK is Natahzu, it is a zoo!! And you can't have attractions or exhibits in a zoo and then expect them not to emphasize conservation. I mean, wouldn't you want to educate people about the precariousness of many of the habitats that these beautiful creatures come from? Wouldn't you consider it odd if they hadn't emphasized it in a zoo? I expect a suspension of belief in the other three parks, but a little less so here because of the nature of the park.

Now, this doesn't mean that I don't think Disney handles the issue of conservation and environmental issues beautifully. I think it's handled a bit clumsily in the Kali and Safari attraction. Yes, I think you would still be able to emphasize the point of preserving habitats and species without throwing in a dead elephant carcass. But I think when taking the entire AK park in terms of a unifying message, I don't see anything wrong with them trying to promote conservation and educating guests on environmental issues that affect the creatures therein.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom