High prices makes trip planing easier

hsisthebest

Original Poster
Has anyone else come to the realization that the increased prices of the last 10 years has actually made trip planning easier? My wife and I used to be once a year (starting in 1999) visitors, then every other year or less with as we added 4 kids. We always planned a budget and then crammed everything we could into the money we were willing to spend. (Typically $6000-$8000). We started slowly scaling back with things like room upgrades and sit-downs restaurants, then driving instead of flying, non-hopper tickets, etc. The last time we went (summer 2018) we stayed offsite for the first time.

Now, instead of filling everything we could into our budget we have switch to spending -up to an amount we wish to spend on vacation. First comes park tickets, then hotel, then food, then Harry Potter, etc. When we reach our budget limit we stop. It may just be a mindset, but planning this way we seems to be more enjoyable- we decided what we want the most and enjoy those things without worrying about what we are missing out on. For example, we did not schedule any character breakfasts, so we used some of our fastpass+ on meet and greets, we missed Toy Story Land opening by 1 week, so we only spent 1/2 day at HS., etc.

We greatly enjoyed our offsite resort (see my review here https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/caribe-royale-review.944566/ ). We saved so much (or spent so little) compared to staying onsite that we actually ate at a lot of sit-down restaurants and had enough in the budget plan to spend a day at Universal.

**In conclusion: this isn't me gushy endlessly about Disney and that it is as great as ever- I do know what other offerings Disney World has that we choose to not partake in, but I just wanted to give a viewpoint that may help others understand how we still go and are able to have a magical time.

bUU

I think it has always been a back and forth: (1) Trip planning "innovators" come up with a new exploit to give themselves an advantage; (2) Lots of other guests work hard to learn the trick in order to not fall behind; (3) Disney finds a way to block or mitigate the exploit returning everyone to a level playing field. Lather, rinse, repeat. What you might be noticing is Disney being a lot more proactive about making offerings less readily exploitable, reducing the incidence of (1) and (2).

correcaminos

No. We still are stuck with the way over planning Disney wants you to do with ADRs and FP+ Until those are changed it will be too much work. Glad we go often enough that we don't care if we don't do it, but for first time goers or those who go only now amd then, this is a ton of work and daunting for them.

eliza61nyc

Basically I think it's always been about what folks think is worth their money and what is not.

When we were first timers we really blew the budget, Disneyworld was new and a big candy store. lol we got the mickey ears (which all had lost by the end of the night), we stopped by beaches and cream every night (humm sweetie, we're spending 80 bucks on dessert, can't afford that) we got the tickets that included Disneyquest and water parks.

As time went on some things became less valuable. we weren't into disneyquest and our hotel pool was enough. Outside of the occasional tee or sweat shirt we don't do souvenirs. We started going annually so annual passes helped us save on tickets.

Now I guess since I don't go during high holidays or summer I've never understood the stress of planning that is prevalent here. the one thing I am careful of is cancelling adr's because now there is a 10 pp charge for not showing up. We don't have any "must do" places we have to eat so we may make 2 adr's in a 8 night trip and somehow we manage to eat a ts ever night and we've never been "screwed" as it seems happens to many here.

Basically we decide on what is important for our family. We're never staying offsite again. We tried it, hated it so for us whatever the savings it would be money wasted. We want to do the Wild Africa Trek next year, that's going to put another $750 bucks on the tab but since I know we want to do it now in November I can tweek the normal every day budget to save for it. I may give it as a Christmas gift to the minions.

IMO the reality is the process is pretty much the same, One sets a budget then figures out what you can get for that budget.

Glasgow

Actually, I've gotten more and more frustrated with Disney because we used to go yearly between 2006 and 2016 but the rate of Disney inflation has increased so disproportionately to value/content (to cover new expansion .. or simply to increase profits?) that we've now changed to once every other year now, much to my chagrin .. but it hasn't changed our planning strategy, only the frequency of our visits.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually, I've gotten more and more frustrated with Disney because we used to go yearly between 2006 and 2016 but the rate of Disney inflation has increased so disproportionately to value/content (to cover new expansion .. or simply to increase profits?) that we've now changed to once every other year now, much to my chagrin .. but it hasn't changed our planning strategy, only the frequency of our visits.
So I worked in the swamp...got married in Epcot...bought the timeshare in my 20’s...had two kids that have been raised there...practically...

And I still love it when I’m there.

So why are we looking hard at skipping it for another year and buy Universal Passes? And then probably skipping it for a 3rd as they sucker price “for the 50th”?

It’s not a question of means...the travel funds/desire are bigger than ever.

So why royal Caribbean and universal? Or even DVC in Hilton head? Weekends in NYC? California tour where the Disneyland segment is “meh”

Asking for a friend

eliza61nyc

So I worked in the swamp...got married in Epcot...bought the timeshare in my 20’s...had two kids that have been raised there...practically...

And I still love it when I’m there.

So why are we looking hard at skipping it for another year and buy Universal Passes? And then probably skipping it for a 3rd as they sucker price “for the 50th”?

It’s not a question of means...the travel funds/desire are bigger than ever.

So why royal Caribbean and universal? Or even DVC in Hilton head? Weekends in NYC? California tour where the Disneyland segment is “meh”

Asking for a friend

I may not be the right person to ask this Sir because I'm weird, when I get a Disney itch, nothing else will do and I think traveling is pretty much expensive anyhoo unless you stay close to your home so Disney prices don't scare me. So one thing to mention to your friend is that all of the above are very very different vacations. lol which I'm sure they know.

We love the beach but it's more of a relaxing/chill type of vacation. definitely not as sensory as the mouse world. Now that my kids are millennials they can only take about 3 days of "chilling" at the shore.

We've done 3 royal Caribbean cruises and we find that they have just as much planning as a Disney vacations and can get just as pricey once you start adding on shore excursion and a few signature meals. Now of course just like Disney you can find ways to cut down on the price, really depends on one's style. We did the Oasis twice and Majesty of the seas. We enjoy cruises and there was plenty to do. but again there is no way I would consider it "cheap".

We also enjoy big city travel. I think the big pro for that is that you can really tailor make your vacation to your budget. In the summer NYC and Philly have boatloads of free stuff. I mean boatloads and of course DC many of the museums are free all the time. also you definitely get better quality of food. but you will have the things people hate here. NYC if you stay in Manhattan and drive you're going to have parking fees, heck I went to see Dear evan hansen two months ago and darn near fainted when dude said 55 bucks to park. 🤬
planning?? well it's true you don't have to book reservations 6 months in advance but you do have to do some basic research.

lol or was it really not a question?

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

I dont think its making it easier but its certainly making more people be more finicky in what they want to do and the kind of trip they want. Its making it necessary to find ways to save more and then spend wiser. Lots of people start out with grand ideas and then scale back according to their available funds. When we plan we have a wish list of all the things we want to accomplish and then save towards that goal. We dont compromise but make the trip we want happen. It may mean skipping a year to save more but its worth it to us by getting exactly what we want.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
we had a couple of seniors so we parked across from the theater. Never again but it was convenient. lol.
At least you had a good spot for that money :D

I've paid crazy parking there too, even several fees over the course of a day. Sometimes being spontaneous is more important than playing their system.

Victor Kelly

Well, honestly, it does make it easier. Sometimes you have to learn to economize.

Disney does not care about repeat visits or even us dedicated fans. They are after the one and done whales (super spenders).

bUU

They are after the ... (super spenders).
As you would -- as any reasonable person would -- if you were they. Someone afflicted by entitlement mentality can't make that connection about what they would do if the positions were swapped. A reasonable person recognizes that connection and realizes that, if they want to be on the winning side of the equation, they need to position themselves to appreciate what is being offered to the "super spenders".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom