Hidden Cameras in Typhoon Lagoon?

Tom

Beta Return
Or....

Better yet, put in FAKE cameras that look real, and put them in plain sight. Then they'll provide the EXACT same effect as Bag Checks....deterrence.

Disneyfanman

Cameras work well in my type of business, and I have many examples of how we have used them to assist police. I think they are a good idea at TL. Also I agree with the deterent nature of having visible cameras, but in a theme park they would probably be perceived as negative. A few well publicized examples will do the job. The creeps will go and be creepy somewhere else for the most part.

Phonedave

About an hour ago, WESH 2 News announced that Disney is planning to now add hidden cameras around the wave pool in the recent light of the molestation attacks. It will now be more monitored and more efficiently handled than eyewitness accounts.
Sorry that it isn't more info. I can't seem to find anything else on it...

Why the need to hide it. Stick it right out there in the open.

-dave

flynnibus

Premium Member
It will work as a deterrent if nothing else.

The whole reason the perps were doing this in the wave pool vs. somewhere else is they think they can get away with it in the big crowd and the 'oops' cover story.

Now they know they are being watched in that area... their cover no longer works and they will have to find a new way to get their jollies.

fosse76

It will work as a deterrent if nothing else.

No, it won't. Depending on what the perpertrator tries to, the cameras won't have any affect. Having cameras visible and out in the open merely will allow a perp to lure his or her victim into an area where there are no cameras.

The whole reason the perps were doing this in the wave pool vs. somewhere else is they think they can get away with it in the big crowd and the 'oops' cover story.

Exactly, BUT a camera won't show intent, unless it is very obvious someone is being targeted. Even if caught on camera a perp can say"oops."

Now they know they are being watched in that area... their cover no longer works and they will have to find a new way to get their jollies.

As I said, a camera doesn't always show intent, so a perp can easily claim it was an accident...and if the pool is crowded the camera won't pick up much to begin with.

This is nothing more than false security. I doubt it would really do much other than cause parents to relax their monitoring of their children thinking that "security is watching."

Thelazer said:
BTW- There is a new theory as to why this is all occurring so frequently now. It involves the use of "discounting" or "free promotions" that might tend to attract those who are on the fringes of society and would not normally visit WDW.

Keep your elitist theories to yourself, as there is no correlation between one's pedophilia tendencies and income. None. And this isn't just occurring now. These types of incidents happen all the time. Unfortunately for the perps, they just happened to be caught. In general, it goes unreported. Some kids might not see who did it, or be embarassed, or the parents won't press charges in order to protect the child from re-living the experience in court, etc. But to act as if this heavy discounting is responsible is ridiclous. Wasn't there a Senator who solicited young male pages not even four years ago? I'd hardly have said he was on the fringe of society. Sexual predators have no socioeconomic boundaries.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No, it won't. Depending on what the perpertrator tries to, the cameras won't have any affect. Having cameras visible and out in the open merely will allow a perp to lure his or her victim into an area where there are no cameras.

Exactly - it will eliminate this 'trick'. It's naive to think you will eliminate all crime - all you can do is reduce the easy of committing a crime.

Exactly, BUT a camera won't show intent, unless it is very obvious someone is being targeted. Even if caught on camera a perp can say"oops."

As I said, a camera doesn't always show intent, so a perp can easily claim it was an accident...and if the pool is crowded the camera won't pick up much to begin with.

You don't need the cameras to convict people. The point was 'deterrent' not 'conviction tool'. If the perp knows he's on camera, he is far less likely to try the same crime. Criminals try to GET AWAY with stuff, not TAUNT law enforcement. The pool offered anonymity and the ability to blend in with the crowd. It no longer will - so the opportunity is far less lucrative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom