Hidalgo

crescent_moon

Original Poster
Pretty sure Disney is affiliated w/ this one... I'm excited about seeing it next weekend, but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me two things:

1. have you seen a preview, how was it??

2. Is this based on a true story???

I'll probably see it regardless, w/ Lord of the Rings over and all...

EmeraldDolphin

We go to the movies most every Sunday during the winter months as a family... I've seen the trailer for this quite a few times... I honestly didn't think it was Disney!?!? << could be wrong... but yes, it's based on a true story... and it looks awesome!

Dizknee_Phreek

they showed the preview most of the times i watched LotR, and now they're all over TV...i'm kind of suprised you haven't seen them!
anyway, as others have said, yes, it does have ties to Disney.
yes, it's based on a true story.
and the preview looks incredible! but most everything Viggo's in is good, so i expect the same with this. :)

Disney2002

The first trailer for this came out so long ago. That is usually a bad sign, indicating something is being held on the shelves for lack of quality. Personally, I can't take another horse movie after Seabiscuit. Kept thinking about glue for that one!

EthylCooper

Originally posted by crescent_moon
1. have you seen a preview, how was it??

Have I seen a preview? :lol: The Hidalgo trailer played before Pirates of the Caribbean, so I saw it 17 times just there! And there's a preview on the PotC DVD, as well as in front of several other movies I've seen. At this point I feel like I've already seen the movie! :p

I'll probably wait until the dollar theatre to see this one, just because I've been so overexposed.

belle88

This movie looks fantastic! I'll be seeing it Friday, no matter what. i"ve been waiting for so long. Can't wait to see Viggo!

crescent_moon

Original Poster
I'm glad some of you guys share in some of my excitement!! I think it's been a really long time since we've had a really fun movie (along the lines of Indiana Jones)...

Can't wait to see Viggo on screen again, and i'm interested to see Omar Sherif and how he fits into the film.

Anyone going opening weekend?

flexer

I'm going tonight! I can't wait to see the movie. Been waiting a long time for it and finally the time has come.. I have a date with Viggo tonight. Anybody else going tonight?

Dizknee_Phreek

ummm, it's BASED on a true story, which means it may not ALL be true. of course, being Hollywood, they have to take a little creative license to make it more 'interesting'. just like Lord of the Rings...it was BASED on the books, but lots of things were changed around for Hollywood.

Dizknee_Phreek

Just thought i'd share...i saw Hidalgo yesterday (Sat.). it wasn't too bad! i liked it! though, there were a few parts which i found a bit sad/depressing/emotional. but there was some great comedy relief! overall, i thought it was good! Viggo, of course, was wonderful! my sister told me after the movie that Roper (of Ebert and Roper) gave it two thumbs down, while Ebert gave it two thumbs up. this movie didn't deserve two thumbs down! i don't know what Roper was thinking! maybe only one thumb up, but definately not two thumbs down!
anyway, i thought it was well written and shot, and the music was pretty good (in the spots where i paid attention to the music). the action sequences were nice! they weren't at all over the top, but was enough to keep you interested.
i thought the character development lacked a bit, though. and at times it was hard to tell who was who (quite a few of the secondary characters looked alike!)
but all in all, a good, family-oriented movie. there was hardly any language, and what little there was, it was nothing you wouldn't hear on cable tv.

imagineer boy

I just came back from seeing it, and I thought it was great too! Viggo was great, the action scenes were very well done. The special effects were also very impressive. Hildalgo was a very well done character that everyone felt emotional for. Some of the humor was good too and so was the acting. I really liked it. I highly reccomend it, although somtimes it gets a little violent and a bit gross sometimes too.

I give it ****1/2 out of five stars.:sohappy:

tigsmom

Saw this yesterday. I'll have to go along with everyone else & say "very good movie". It was well written, beautiful scenery & good acting. A very emotional movie at times (made my little one cry), but definately a keeper. *****

Dean[AU]

Article by ArabNews.com
Disney Movie on Arabian Horse Race Raises Storm
Peter Harrigan, Special to Arab News

JEDDAH, 1 March 2004 — Amidst growing controversy kicked up by an $80-million Hollywood movie due out next week, the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) has written to Disney’s chairman expressing concern that the movie, “Hidalgo”, negatively stereotypes Muslims and Arabs, and demanding the removal of the “True Story” tag line that is touting the production.

“Hidalgo”, released under Disney’s Touchstone Pictures label, stars Viggo Mortensen and Omar Sharif. The so-called “incredible true story” of a 5,000-km horse race across the Arabian Peninsula shows an American cowboy hero called Frank T. Hopkins pitching up in Aden in 1890 with his American mustang to compete against a hundred Bedouin riders on their Arab steeds. There are no payouts for the winning jockey of the desert horse race called “Ocean of Fire”.

Disney says the movie is based on historical fact, and scriptwriter John Fusco claims to have carefully researched the story. But there is no source that points to the existence of such a race or tells of an American called Hopkins and his horse “Hidalgo” ever placing boots and hooves onto Arabian sand.

Arab News was the first newspaper to question the historical basis of the film in a series of articles last May.

Dr. Awad Al-Badi, director of research at the King Faisal Center for Research and Islamic Studies, is an authority on Western travelers to Arabia and has traveled the world in search of their records. He has little time for imposters.

“The idea of a historic trans-Arabian horse race ever having run is pure nonsense... simply from a technical, logistical, cultural and geopolitical point of view,” Dr. Al-Badi says.

A schoolchild could take a rule and draw a straight line from the start line in Aden across Arabia. Three thousand miles would have the riders trotting through Istanbul to a finishing post somewhere in Romania. Even a circuitous canter around the coast of Arabia would put the finishing post north of Armenia.

“Since they are claiming it is a true story, it’s astonishing that neither Disney nor their scriptwriter have even bothered to check records in established museums and archives or tap a single credible academic,” complains Dr. Al-Badi.

Now there are concerns, raised by CAIR, that the film “may contain scenes and dialogue that would serve to stereotype Muslims and Arabs and create a negative impression of Islam in the minds of moviegoers.”

One scene shows an Arab rider committing suicide after falling with his horse. Another scene is described in the script as: “A filthy market place that thrives between the mosque and crumbling dry fountains. The drifters here seem a cross between Arabian Nights beggars and the thieves of Hugo’s 18th century Paris. Hopkins has replaced his hat with a headscarf up to his nose. He rides with Jaffa and Aziz slowly through the foul-smelling crowd of men selling baskets, severed monkey hands and small crocks of brackish water.”

Within days audiences will find out whether the scenes have survived the final cut.

“Given the growing prejudice against Islam, Muslims and Arabs, we believe a film with this type of dialogue and imagery could have a negative impact on the lives of ordinary American Muslims and Arab-Americans,” says Ibrahim Hooper, CAIR’s National Communications Director, in his letter to Disney’s Michael Eisner.

Disney have been quick to respond to CAIR, saying Muslim consultants were involved at peak filming stages to ensure the film is culturally appropriate and respectful. It claims some of the dialogue and scenes have been toned down from the earlier script version but stubbornly clings to Fusco’s script as “factually based”.

“We sincerely hope that anti-Muslim and anti-Arab bigotry will not be added to historical inaccuracy in a film that is being marketed to families,” says Hooper. He has asked Disney for a pre-release screening of the film for representatives of CAIR’s Los Angeles office. “It is our duty to defend both the image of Islam and the well-being of the American Muslim and Arab-American communities,” says Hooper.

US media outlets too are beginning to question the factual basis of “Hidalgo”. A Feb. 17 Los Angles Times article, “Long Trail of Lies”, states: “Disney may tout ‘Hidalgo’ as ‘based on a true story,’ but, according to a headstrong posse of fact-finders, the only thing Hopkins ever galloped across was the vast plains of his imagination.”

JBSLJames

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Good Grief. Can anyone find something not offensive these days?:rolleyes:

I think you avatar is staring at me, know, I KNOW IT!!! Tell him to STOP (It is a him isn't it?). S T O P !!! I am SO Offended. Arghh, Stop staring at me, STOP IT. Must avoid eye contac. . . STOP STARING AT ME. :animwink:

Well if you are going to stare, what do you think of . . .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom