HHN Not Happening

JT3000

Universal's COVID procedures are basically just lip service on weekends now. It's sad and kind of scary. Even if the employees attempt to enforce the rules, it means f--- all when:

1. There are too many people in the park, way more than Universal promised they would limit, making social distancing impossible in many areas.
2. The weekend trash that Universal pulls in combined with the trash that HHN pulls in means a sea of sketchy people doing whatever they want.

Very happy to see that they came to their senses are and are offering these event every day. No way would I attempt it on a weekend.

Goes to a theme park during a pandemic.

Calls other people "trash."

Yep, checks out.

thelookingglass

OK, I get the bashing, the event was mobbed and that was expected so should have been staffed for.

The expansion of the offerings will prevent that happening in the future. This was a one off that may turn out badly if there is spread traced to it but let's see what happens this weekend. This was billed as a "test".
It wasn't just this event though, it's been recurring every weekend since they made every ticket an AP. Though not necessarily reaching "capacity" other than Labor Day weekend, but still seeing overflowing queues and whatnot.
Goes to a theme park during a pandemic.
Literally not an issue at all if the place bothers to do what they promised. Also it's weird to shame me for this when most of this board has also visited.

Calls other people "trash."
Universal notoriously draws a rowdy crowd of locals on weekends and, unfortunately, a lot of the locals are trashy people. Wannabe thugs and low class rednecks. I'm not shaming them just for what they look like or stereotyping them, I'm saying it's unpleasant when so much of the park guests around you are being loud, belligerent, disrespectful, and ignoring the rules. HHN is even more notorious for this - there's a reason security is like quadrupled with a heavy OPD presence during HHN nights. I'm not saying this is Universal's fault, but these demographics have decided that Universal is their local weekend playground. If you don't see the truth in this then you are really, really turning a blind eye.

Universal is very pleasant on weekdays, of course.

JT3000

Literally not an issue at all if the place bothers to do what they promised. Also it's weird to shame me for this when most of this board has also visited.

It's absolutely an issue. Universal, and the other parks for that matter, can promise and even enforce anything they want, none of it will effectively prevent the further spread of this disease, because there's no realistic way to operate a theme park in a safe manner under these circumstances. It's all hollow lip service meant to make you more comfortable with the unacceptable so you'll spend money there. They shouldn't even be open, and just because they're open doesn't mean you need to go.

Point blank, if you've attended a theme park during a pandemic, you've forfeited your right to complain about how dangerous it is. You put yourself in that situation. And frankly I don't care what most of the board has done. If I offend most of the board with this stance, so be it.

Universal notoriously draws a rowdy crowd of locals on weekends and, unfortunately, a lot of the locals are trashy people. Wannabe thugs and low class rednecks. I'm not shaming them just for what they look like or stereotyping them, I'm saying it's unpleasant when so much of the park guests around you are being loud, belligerent, disrespectful, and ignoring the rules. HHN is even more notorious for this - there's a reason security is like quadrupled with a heavy OPD presence during HHN nights. I'm not saying this is Universal's fault, but these demographics have decided that Universal is their local weekend playground. If you don't see the truth in this then you are really, really turning a blind eye.

Universal is very pleasant on weekdays, of course.

I've already addressed this in another thread recently, but this "notoriety" is almost completely fictional. Universal's demographics (inside the parks) are largely the same as Disney's. If you don't realize that, then you're either wearing rose-colored glasses while visiting the latter or you don't visit either resort nearly often enough.

And HHN has mellowed considerably since they toned down the liquor sales several years ago. It will always have a different atmosphere than regular operations due to its inherent nature, with more troublemakers than you would usually find, but its reputation as a haven for debauchery is outdated.

Last edited:

Bob Harlem

Disney has it's fair share of crazies. I've been to multiple parks (in and outside of Florida) since places have been reopening, with severity going down (hospitalization numbers are crazy low), and traveling a lot I just haven't seen anything that matches that places should be closed at all and the ones that are are a flat overreaction. (And yes I've been tested multiple times, and all negative). At this point I just completely ignore people going on about cases because it just doesn't jive with what my own two eyes have seen being all over from Ohio/Indiana to Texas to Florida and places in between.

I still used the masks (even in places where others weren't) and have gotten tested multiple times, all negative.

thelookingglass

It's absolutely an issue. Universal, and the other parks for that matter, can promise and even enforce anything they want, none of it will effectively prevent the further spread of this disease, because there's no realistic way to operate a theme park in a safe manner under these circumstances. It's all hollow lip service meant to make you more comfortable with the unacceptable so you'll spend money there. They shouldn't even be open, and just because they're open doesn't mean you need to go.

Point blank, if you've attended a theme park during a pandemic, you've forfeited your right to complain about how dangerous it is. You put yourself in that situation. And frankly I don't care what most of the board has done. If I offend most of the board with this stance, so be it.
Nah, BS. Get off your high horse. Disney is doing it right. Universal is the one now paying lip service to it. When a company promises "we will only let in a safe number of guests" and then doesn't do that, then it's their fault for not following their promise, not mine for attempting to hold them to their word.

I've already addressed this in another thread recently, but this "notoriety" is almost completely fictional. Universal's demographics (inside the parks) are largely the same as Disney's. If you don't realize that, then you're either wearing rose-colored glasses while visiting the latter or you don't visit either resort nearly often enough.

And HHN has mellowed considerably since they toned down the liquor sales several years ago. It will always have a different atmosphere than regular operations due to its inherent nature, with more troublemakers than you would usually find, but its reputation as a haven for debauchery is outdated.
They are not the same demographics. Go on a weekend. Universal's weekend crowds are a sea of hoodrats and Florida Mans. It's barely distinguishable from Old Town on a Saturday, which is my go-to example for people who don't believe the Florida stereotype doesn't exist in the Orlando area. You are either turning a blind eye or it has been a very long time since you witnessed UOR on a weekend.

But oh no you might see a few fat people in ECV's at Disney.

I guess that's true about HHN. In recent years it has turned into a middle schooler baby sitting service and high schooler hangout, but it still attracts plenty of Polk County's Finest Methheads.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Every available Universal resort hotel room was sold out for Fri. and Sat. nights. Both parks reached capacity early on Sat. but neither of them hit capacity on Sun. (The rain helped with that).

The biggest complaint at GS was that the VL reached capacity in 2 mins. But with Hagrid's and RotR doing the same for a year they can deal with it. And on Sat. they released more VL spots about 4pm. And about 7pm they went to Stand-by. Sun. was manageable all day (rain). The second biggest complaint was long lines for food. Mostly because of under staffing.

The "test" seems to have been a resounding success. I expect them to announce a named event in the next day or two.

And hire back some staff at least part time. And possibly reopen one of their shuttered hotels.

I wonder if they will open more houses or just stick with these two.

JT3000

Nah, BS. Get off your high horse. Disney is doing it right. Universal is the one now paying lip service to it. When a company promises "we will only let in a safe number of guests" and then doesn't do that, then it's their fault for not following their promise, not mine for attempting to hold them to their word.

If anyone is on a "high horse," it's you for refusing to take responsibility for your own poor decisions. Going to a theme park during a pandemic and then complaining that it's dangerous is like agreeing to play Russian roulette and then exclaiming, "Oh my god, why did you do that!? I could have died!"

You've come to the arbitrary conclusion that Universal has "an unsafe number of guests." Well there's a mathematical equation I'd love to see. There's no such thing as a safe number of guests in a theme park at the moment. I already know that won't stop you from giving your seal of approval to however many Disney is letting in, without even knowing the number or considering the consequences of those people being there together in enclosed spaces, using the same ride vehicles, etc. Say what you will, at least I'm consistent in thinking both resorts should be closed.

They are not the same demographics. Go on a weekend. Universal's weekend crowds are a sea of hoodrats and Florida Mans. It's barely distinguishable from Old Town on a Saturday, which is my go-to example for people who don't believe the Florida stereotype doesn't exist in the Orlando area. You are either turning a blind eye or it has been a very long time since you witnessed UOR on a weekend.

Pure, unadulterated BS. That's all that is.

I guess that's true about HHN. In recent years it has turned into a middle schooler baby sitting service and high schooler hangout, but it still attracts plenty of Polk County's Finest Methheads.

Why do you even go out in public places if you hate everyone so much? 🤔

Thelazer

Original Poster
And HHN has mellowed considerably since they toned down the liquor sales several years ago.

I miss "Those" days.

Oh and BTW, it's not shocking at all that people want to just go out and have a good time.
5 / 6 months of lock-down will do that.

I'd expect next year's HHN to be a complete packed to the gills party time once covid is behind us.

JoeCamel

I wonder if they will open more houses or just stick with these two.
I don't know but I feel they made a decision to open them on weekdays rather than open more houses. Staffing becomes a problem if they are open but no one is touring or very few are. Tuesday at 10:00am to get your haunt on anyone? I think there will be long stretches in early - mid October where it will be walkons.

Tom Morrow

I am super stoked about them going ahead with making the houses a daily thing, because I definitely wasn't going to be braving a weekend day any time soon.

If anyone is on a "high horse," it's you for refusing to take responsibility for your own poor decisions. Going to a theme park during a pandemic and then complaining that it's dangerous is like agreeing to play Russian roulette and then exclaiming, "Oh my god, why did you do that!? I could have died!"

You've come to the arbitrary conclusion that Universal has "an unsafe number of guests." Well there's a mathematical equation I'd love to see. There's no such thing as a safe number of guests in a theme park at the moment. I already know that won't stop you from giving your seal of approval to however many Disney is letting in, without even knowing the number or considering the consequences of those people being there together in enclosed spaces, using the same ride vehicles, etc. Say what you will, at least I'm consistent in thinking both resorts should be closed.
At this point, this far into the pandemic, shaming someone for going places is just virtue-signaling in my opinion. We're well beyond lockdown and quarantine. The country itself decided in May to open things back up. In June and July, Universal was a shining example of operating with covid procedures. If someone visited during this time and felt safe, only to return in August/September and see that the place has thrown in the towel and now merely paying lip service to the procedures that previously made them feel safe, I blame the establishment for not continuing to do what they promised, not the person for failing to assume that they wouldn't keep their promise.

Pure, unadulterated BS. That's all that is.
It really isn't, and this makes me think you don't have extensive experience of being in the Orlando theme park crowds over the last few years. Disney and Universal have the same basic demographic on weekdays, albeit with Universal skewing a little older with less families. On the weekends though, oof. It really can get pretty bad at Universal.

It's not that I care if other people are lower class or any of that, it's when their behavior is negatively impacting my day that it becomes an issue.

JT3000

At this point, this far into the pandemic, shaming someone for going places is just virtue-signaling in my opinion.

God I hate that new-fangled term. You'll not find a more hypocritical ad hominem than "virtue signaling."

"In order to show you how morally superior my own position is, I'm going to accuse you of being self-righteous."

We're well beyond lockdown and quarantine. The country itself decided in May to open things back up. In June and July, Universal was a shining example of operating with covid procedures. If someone visited during this time and felt safe, only to return in August/September and see that the place has thrown in the towel and now merely paying lip service to the procedures that previously made them feel safe, I blame the establishment for not continuing to do what they promised, not the person for failing to assume that they wouldn't keep their promise.

So are we supposed to just pretend quarantine was done correctly? That it actually worked, like it did in so many other countries? That it accomplished anything at all, because some of us stayed home while so many others were being careless idiots about the whole thing? You know, like opening unessential businesses that are magnets for disease transmission, such as theme parks? Sorry if I can't do that. All those people, and even Universal themselves, are to blame for the fact this thread even needed to be made. This is why we can't have nice things.

Universal was a shining example of a ghost town at first. You only felt safe because there was hardly anyone there (which, I might add, still didn't make it safe.) You expected this to continue and it didn't. It was never going to, because that was an unrealistic expectation. Those early days of reopening were unsustainable in every way, and all of the parks would have gladly asked for this sort of business to begin with.

It really isn't, and this makes me think you don't have extensive experience of being in the Orlando theme park crowds over the last few years.
stunned doc rivers GIF

Last edited:

macefamily

I posted before that I left Universal after spending three hours there on a Saturday about a month ago. I was visiting from Pennsylvania and I felt it was out of control. I saw a guy getting warned three times to put his mask back on while waiting in the Men in Black queue. After the second warning I would have thrown his a$$ out of the park. We visited Magic Kingdom the day before and there were about 30 people on Main Street at noon. Much different scenario. At least a half dozen rides were "not available" for the remainder of the day at Universal by 1:00PM. They sold so many damn Express Passes that even the EP lines were 45 minute waits. My Universal Annual Pass expires in January and I can guarantee that I won't be using it before that date.

Tom Morrow

So are we supposed to just pretend quarantine was done correctly? That it actually worked, like it did in so many other countries? That it accomplished anything at all, because some of us stayed home while so many others were being careless idiots about the whole thing? You know, like opening unessential businesses that are magnets for disease transmission, such as theme parks? Sorry if I can't do that. All those people, and even Universal themselves, are to blame for the fact this thread even needed to be made. This is why we can't have nice things.

No I agree, we did not do quarantine correctly at all. We shut down too soon if anything without any proper plan in place, then opened up before the curve even flattened, rendering the whole thing pointless. Our country's leadership spent the first few months lying about the severity of it, called it a democratic hoax, and blocked multiple efforts and procedures that would have helped, such as every household being mailed masks. No nationwide quarantine or mask mandates were ever issued. They also failed to provide is with a working safety net and spent the whole time squabbling over stimulus checks, which other countries got monthly but we only received one.

But I don't blame the parks for opening as they support something like 200,000 jobs directly and countless other jobs in Orlando indirectly. Are all these people just supposed to get evicted? It's disgusting that wall street made the richest fraction of a percent in this country richer at the expense of everyone else, who failed to get any real support.

Universal was a shining example of a ghost town at first. You only felt safe because there was hardly anyone there (which, I might add, still didn't make it safe.) You expected this to continue and it didn't. It was never going to, because that was an unrealistic expectation. Those early days of reopening were unsustainable in every way, and all of the parks would have gladly asked for this sort of business to begin with.

It was not an unrealistic expectation because this is still the situation at Disney. They are still capping attendance at a reasonable amount, on top of having parks that are bigger with more open spaces. Universal instead chose to dish out the discounts and throw in the towel on capping attendance at any reasonable level. Initially I wondered why Disney didn't just throw out tons of discounts to the locals if they wanted more people in their parks, but now its pretty clear why.

macefamily

I live in PA and have attended the past three HHN's. I love them. So sad they're not happening this year. About an hour from my home, there is a PA Halloween event that touts itself as the #3 haunted attraction in the U.S. Shocktoberfest. We usually attend on a Friday night when the high school football games are being played when the crowd is very light. They are still having it this year. I'm not sure if we're going because it is heavily cast with scare actors and I don't see how they're going to effectively clean the walk-through attractions. But part of me misses HHN so much and I need my Halloween fix.

JoeCamel

I live in PA and have attended the past three HHN's. I love them. So sad they're not happening this year. About an hour from my home, there is a PA Halloween event that touts itself as the #3 haunted attraction in the U.S. Shocktoberfest. We usually attend on a Friday night when the high school football games are being played when the crowd is very light. They are still having it this year. I'm not sure if we're going because it is heavily cast with scare actors and I don't see how they're going to effectively clean the walk-through attractions. But part of me misses HHN so much and I need my Halloween fix.
A lot of people headed to BG Howl O' Scream tonight for that very reason.

maxairmike

Any tips on obtaining a virtual queue for the houses? (Also Hagrid's - haven't attempted this in a while)

Go on a weekday. The houses look to rarely get over a 15 on weekdays so they don't use the virtual queue. I've noticed they've also been using the regular queue for Hagrids sometimes recently on weekdays as well, so you might not need to bother with virtual queue for either if you get lucky. If you do need to VQ for Hagrids...well, it's still just constantly check your phone and hope you get lucky as far as I'm aware. They still distribute VQ times for it throughout the day and not all at once in the morning (like they seem to do with the houses) last I knew.

Tom Morrow

Weekday advice was good. Despite the park being fairly busy even for a weekday, I was about to basically walk right into both houses.

The Bride of Frankenstein house was excellent. Absolutely the HHN creative team firing on all cylinders. I actually had a brief emotional moment walking through my first time, realizing that this crazy haunted house was my strongest sense of a return to normalcy in quite some time. For whatever reason, Tooth Fairy did not work for me. The sets were much less dynamic. I always prefer the houses that are an onslaught to your senses which I did not get from it. The creatures were too small (I'm impressed that they found so many tiny girls to do this though) so the jump scares just don't work. Overall I found it lacking in any sort of intensity. I also found the plexiglass covers more obvious. It's possible I just had a bad run-through though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom