HHN 2019 Sep 6 - Nov 2

ryan1

I just got back from 2 nights at HHN...

Ranking the houses:
1. Killer Klowns - Not scary just such a perfect recap and everything I wanted out of the house I got. The costumes were spot on, perfect selection of scenes to reuse from the movie, and even the theme song! Also as a bonus it seemed that this was the only house where pushing buttons or flipping switches seemed to trigger an additional thing.
2. Ghostbuster - Not scary but another great recap and recreation of the movie. Spot on from the first scene.
3. Universal Monsters - Fairly creepy with a good flow of scenes from one monster to the next. Loved the werewolf on the zipline.
4. Graveyard Games - A great "Return of the Living Dead" vibe and some really good visuals
5. Depths of Fear - If that squid had been a better design this would have been higher but man was it cheesey. Overall a great feeling to the house and some good startles/scares
6. Yeti - Nice original house and monster design. Good startles and atmosphere .
7. House of 1000 Corpses - A terrible early 2000s horror movie made slightly better since there isn't any acting needed to be done. A few good startles and effects.
8. Nightingales - Pretty boring and basic. We walked on and I'd still say its not worth the time. We didn't go back the second night.
9. Us - A dumb recreation of a boring movie that offers no startles or scares at all. Everything I predicted when I saw the announcement of the house was there and as lifeless as it was in the movie. Just watch the movie on mute and skip the house, you get the same effect.
10. Stranger Things - we didn't do this house since we aren't caught up on the seasons and the line was at least 80 minutes both nights. I didn't have any desire to go to this one as I feel its the next "Walking Dead" presence that Universal is going to keep way past its welcome. The first year was fine enough but what is going to happen next year? Every scare zone is Stranger Things inspired? I hope not.

Scare Zones
1. Vanity Ball was fun and worth hanging around in.
2. Vikings Undead was visually fun but a quick walk through once or twice was good each night.
3. Chainsaws at Simpsonsland are always welcome and a surprise since I didn't think they were going to be around this year.
4. Hellbilly Deluxe had a lot going on but no substance to be more than a walk through
5. Zombieland was sparse and not well put together but the actors were fun and did their best
6. Anarch-carde was pretty fun to look at but small and short

Overall, a fun time and pretty solid all the way around. We didn't bother with the Academy of Villains since I refuse to watch them as a replacement for Bill and Ted. Last year didn't entice me back and from what we saw of the Marathon of Mayham it was a nice little show but nothing worth stopping to watch.

I'd like more in-depth scarezones instead of the extra house since it seems they are spreading themselves too thin to fill the houses. Keep the houses at 8 and bring the scarezones back up to their former glory.

JT3000

I'd like more in-depth scarezones instead of the extra house since it seems they are spreading themselves too thin to fill the houses. Keep the houses at 8 and bring the scarezones back up to their former glory.

Less houses won't improve the scarezones. They've been neutered by the Superstar Parade. Universal still hasn't figured out it's more trouble than it's worth.

ryan1

Less houses won't improve the scarezones. They've been neutered by the Superstar Parade. Universal still hasn't figured out it's more trouble than it's worth.

I only go to Universal Studios for Horror Nights so I don't know how the parade effects the scarezones (I'm assuming the scarezones can't have anything that cannot be moved backstage during the day because of it), but if they reduced the # of houses by 1 I would think they could spend that money on more immersive scarezones. They are just so sparse this year or they have one that is impressive and the rest are afterthoughts. They could make more movable props to bring out.

raven

I only go to Universal Studios for Horror Nights so I don't know how the parade effects the scarezones (I'm assuming the scarezones can't have anything that cannot be moved backstage during the day because of it), but if they reduced the # of houses by 1 I would think they could spend that money on more immersive scarezones. They are just so sparse this year or they have one that is impressive and the rest are afterthoughts. They could make more movable props to bring out.
Most of those props have to be pulled backstage and hidden during the regular park hours. This takes up a LOT of room and maintenance, service vehicles and parade floats cannot get through. They pull out a few but they all have to be carefully timed as well. For example: The ones for Vanity Ball are stored way backstage by the sprung tent houses and have to be hauled all the way up the road behind E.T. to enter the park. But know what blocks that road? The queue and exit lines for Graveyard Games and Universal Monsters. So I think they do pretty well for only having 1 hour between park close and HHN open to get all those platforms and queues set up.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Most of those props have to be pulled backstage and hidden during the regular park hours. This takes up a LOT of room and maintenance, service vehicles and parade floats cannot get through. They pull out a few but they all have to be carefully timed as well. For example: The ones for Vanity Ball are stored way backstage by the sprung tent houses and have to be hauled all the way up the road behind E.T. to enter the park. But know what blocks that road? The queue and exit lines for Graveyard Games and Universal Monsters. So I think they do pretty well for only having 1 hour between park close and HHN open to get all those platforms and queues set up.

It's a wiggle, but as with everything, they can continue to try to build a better wheel.

Less might be more in the future. USO likes to go big for HHN, but when they can't keep up a standard of quality across the board, it's time to rethink things a bit.

raven

It's a wiggle, but as with everything, they can continue to try to build a better wheel.

Less might be more in the future. USO likes to go big for HHN, but when they can't keep up a standard of quality across the board, it's time to rethink things a bit.
I’ve heard from many HHN veterans that this year has been the best so far. The quality and attention to detail in the houses are on point.

ryan1

I understand the logistics of moving everything in and out is a nightmare to be sure but I also remember scare zones from the past that were WAY more detailed and effective (the foam/clown zone from the IoA years jumps to mind) than what they have been putting out the last 2-3 years. Collectively the scare zones are now an afterthought, give or take one or two zones a year, and that wasn't the case in the past. I think this changes the entire experience of the night in a negative way. Also, with so many houses and the popularity of the event even on Thursdays its almost impossible to do everything unless you buy the express pass, which has gotten pricier.

JT3000

Quality and detail, yes.

Scare and horror quotient, no.

The event has never been more mainstream.

That ship has sailed, and it's sadly on a one-way trip.

I understand the logistics of moving everything in and out is a nightmare to be sure but I also remember scare zones from the past that were WAY more detailed and effective (the foam/clown zone from the IoA years jumps to mind) than what they have been putting out the last 2-3 years. Collectively the scare zones are now an afterthought, give or take one or two zones a year, and that wasn't the case in the past. I think this changes the entire experience of the night in a negative way. Also, with so many houses and the popularity of the event even on Thursdays its almost impossible to do everything unless you buy the express pass, which has gotten pricier.

Again... Superstar Parade. It didn't exist back then, so naturally it wasn't an issue.

The pricing of the Express sucks, but if they lower it too much, too many people will have it. And axing houses will only increase wait times across the board.

Last edited:

ryan1

That ship has sailed, and it's sadly on a one-way trip.

Again... Superstar Parade. It didn't exist back then, so naturally it wasn't an issue.

The pricing of the Express sucks, but if they lower it too much, too many people will have it. And axing houses will only increase wait times across the board.

Oh I remember about 5 years ago when the express pass was still priced right but the popularity was high and the house # was still at 6-7 and the express pass line was still 45 minutes and thus the standby 80+ on just about every house. I get the price increase. However, we went Thursday and Friday last week and Thursday was a good crowd level with 45 minute standby lines for most houses toward the end of the night which is about the longest lines should have for a Thursday in September. We didn't do 3 of the houses but we left at 12 knowing we were coming back the next night. We could have done the 3 remaining but didn't feel the need to cram. Friday we were going to get the express pass just figuring crowds would be up and why not have less wait times all around. When we went to buy them in the park the cashier said it would $280! $129/pass + tax. Our rush of fear pass was only $80! I get charging more for the express pass to limit the number but when your ticket is x1.5 the price of admission that is borderline obscene. We didn't buy them and opted to just wait in line. The lines were pretty decent anyway so it worked out.

They have to find some way to work around the parade, again I don't go to Uni except on HHN nights so I don't know the day to day activity, but 12 arcade boxes and 5 actors stalking the main drag once you walk into the park is not the way to start off the experience.

After 19 years straight of going at least once per year the issue of how Uni handles HHN is getting more and more glaring. Taking away B&T, reducing the quality and sizes of scare zones, only being able to buy a rum and coke in 2 locations in the entire park, increasing EP prices its almost like they don't know what they are doing anymore and the quality of the overall experience is going down.

jumpinjamie

I've been wanting to go for 20+ years and finally went for the first time last month. Honestly it was Ghostbusters and Stranger Things IPs that made me finally go. I can go to my local haunts for much cheaper, but they can't offer those IPs. I think a person's opinion of the houses really can be affected by their run. My first time through Universal Monsters there was no Creature, second time I got three jump scares from him. Overall I was impressed with the detail of all the houses but dissappointed in the cattle heard procession and being rushed and yelled at to stay directly behind the person behind you while missing out on jump scares and missing details, sometimes entire scenes if not looking the right way. I would rank the houses as:

1. Universal Monsters (2 runs)
2. Stranger Things (2 runs)
3. Ghostbusters
4. Yeti
5. Nightingales
6. Us
7. Graveyard Games
8. Depths Of Fear
9. House of 1000 Corpses
10. Killer Clowns

Cousin Huet

Just got done for the evening at HHN. This was our first time and we had an absolute blast. We did use the Express Pass for the event which was a must with all houses hovering around 100 minutes at different points. The houses were much less busy early and all picked up quickly as time went. We were in the park at about Noon and did Hagrid’s which was unbelievable and then basically ate and gave our daughter (10yrs old) time to do some wand magic and just enjoyed some of the smaller experiences before getting in a stay and scream area.

We went with Ghostbusters as that was the consensus favorite for the three of us. We used our Express Pass on each house and only did each house once. So early on we were getting through houses very quickly while the times were still low. After GB we skipped Stranger Things because it was at 180min already. We started knocking off the others and made this route.....Us, went through Anarch-ade, Killer Klowns, went through Vikings Undead, Graveyard Games (the most jump scares for us), Universal Monsters, then ate Pizza Fries (yum), went through Springfield scare zone?, Nightingales Bloodpit, Depth of Fear, House of 1000 Corpses, Academy of Villains, then rode Escape from Gringotts (I hate Locker’s so much), then walked through Hellbilly Deluxe (pretty risqué), went through Zombieland, then Yeti Terror on the Yukon and finally ended with Stranger Things which still had a 175min wait but was only 30min for us through Express and that was entrance to exit. We ended the night watching Marathon of Mayhem and walked through Vanity Ball on our way out at about 12:20 and were back in the room at 12:45.

It was a long and fun day. My kid was nervous through the houses but did everything and had a blast. My wife was the chicken. Will definitely be back. It was a packed night but I would never do it without Express either way. Great job Universal on this one. Can’t really say a negative about anything but Us was kind of blah and the monsters from Depths of Fear were large so you could see them coming and they were not very animated for scares. Everything was impressive though.

raven

Just got done for the evening at HHN. This was our first time and we had an absolute blast. We did use the Express Pass for the event which was a must with all houses hovering around 100 minutes at different points. The houses were much less busy early and all picked up quickly as time went. We were in the park at about Noon and did Hagrid’s which was unbelievable and then basically ate and gave our daughter (10yrs old) time to do some wand magic and just enjoyed some of the smaller experiences before getting in a stay and scream area.

We went with Ghostbusters as that was the consensus favorite for the three of us. We used our Express Pass on each house and only did each house once. So early on we were getting through houses very quickly while the times were still low. After GB we skipped Stranger Things because it was at 180min already. We started knocking off the others and made this route.....Us, went through Anarch-ade, Killer Klowns, went through Vikings Undead, Graveyard Games (the most jump scares for us), Universal Monsters, then ate Pizza Fries (yum), went through Springfield scare zone?, Nightingales Bloodpit, Depth of Fear, House of 1000 Corpses, Academy of Villains, then rode Escape from Gringotts (I hate Locker’s so much), then walked through Hellbilly Deluxe (pretty risqué), went through Zombieland, then Yeti Terror on the Yukon and finally ended with Stranger Things which still had a 175min wait but was only 30min for us through Express and that was entrance to exit. We ended the night watching Marathon of Mayhem and walked through Vanity Ball on our way out at about 12:20 and were back in the room at 12:45.

It was a long and fun day. My kid was nervous through the houses but did everything and had a blast. My wife was the chicken. Will definitely be back. It was a packed night but I would never do it without Express either way. Great job Universal on this one. Can’t really say a negative about anything but Us was kind of blah and the monsters from Depths of Fear were large so you could see them coming and they were not very animated for scares. Everything was impressive though.
Orange County schools have the day off today so I imagine there were a TON of families there last night. But the 2 weekends before Halloween are usually the busiest for HHN anyway.

JT3000

Orange County schools have the day off today so I imagine there were a TON of families there last night. But the 2 weekends before Halloween are usually the busiest for HHN anyway.

Wish someone had told me this before. 😭

School or not, I saw way too many small children & babies last night. There's no Family Night at HHN, people!

raven

Wish someone had told me this before. 😭

School or not, I saw way too many small children & babies last night. There's no Family Night at HHN, people!
Children under 3 are not supposed to be let into the houses and parents also can’t carry their child, for safety. When crowds thicken you will see a lot more downtimes of the houses due to unruly guests causing problems. This happened several times last night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom