Hey Canadians, when do you think we’ll be able to get back to WDW?

Wendylet

I’m a furloughed cast member from the Disney Dream. I’m from Toronto and my partner lives in Celebration. I’ve come down a few times now to stay with him as he can’t get into Canada but I can fly into the US. Like most have said, the biggest pain is I have to do a 2 week quarantine every-time I return to Canada. Now that they want to do the $2000 forced hotel quarantine I’m not sure what I’ll do. I’m in Florida right now and hoping that they don’t extend that mandate as there’s no way I’m paying that. My tourist visa is good till June and I have a work from home job now so there’s nothing rushing me home. But yah, who knows. I know the government is scared of variants entering, but there’s so many Canadians that have partners/family on either side of the border that are being punished with this $2k quarantine.
I agree that the $2000 forced quarantine is a hard pill to swallow. I am chalking it up to, as you mention, the scare about the variants and the fact we are so far behind in vaccinations. I have a friend who is a travel agent and they are really upset about this latest move by the federal government. Hopefully it is just a short term measure as we need international travel to open up for our economy to rebuild. Best of luck to you. At least you are enjoying the weather. Today here it is -24C!

Animaniac93-98

I’m a furloughed cast member from the Disney Dream. I’m from Toronto and my partner lives in Celebration. I’ve come down a few times now to stay with him as he can’t get into Canada but I can fly into the US. Like most have said, the biggest pain is I have to do a 2 week quarantine every-time I return to Canada. Now that they want to do the $2000 forced hotel quarantine I’m not sure what I’ll do. I’m in Florida right now and hoping that they don’t extend that mandate as there’s no way I’m paying that. My tourist visa is good till June and I have a work from home job now so there’s nothing rushing me home. But yah, who knows. I know the government is scared of variants entering, but there’s so many Canadians that have partners/family on either side of the border that are being punished with this $2k quarantine.

For others reading this, the $2,000 three night hotel quarantine (while you await your COVID test results) and ban on Canadian airlines travelling to Mexico and the Caribbean is currently in place until April 30. This is to further discourage travel outside of Canada during what is typically peak travel time for Canadians (Nov-Mar aka Winter).

I don't see this lasting beyond then, because come May and the warmer weather there is less demand for travel abroad and you can still have quarantine measures without them. Plus, more of the population on both sides of the border will be vaccinated. It may be that later in 2021 there is a "travel bubble" between the USA and Canada, with different rules for those retuning from other countries. That would make more sense given the amount of cross boarder business travel, families who live on both sides etc.

castlecake2.0

I agree that the $2000 forced quarantine is a hard pill to swallow. I am chalking it up to, as you mention, the scare about the variants and the fact we are so far behind in vaccinations. I have a friend who is a travel agent and they are really upset about this latest move by the federal government. Hopefully it is just a short term measure as we need international travel to open up for our economy to rebuild. Best of luck to you. At least you are enjoying the weather. Today here it is -24C!
07C977AA-0B73-4FBD-A606-B087C07B32AC.jpeg

Not missing that snow at all!

Walt Disney1955

Florida would be nice wouldn't it? One thing I always think about in the new year is what our summer plans will be. Never thought until last year that the border wouldn't be open for us. I really don't know when it will open either. People in Canada are irrationally terrified of Americans and thinking they are nothing more than disease-ridden parasites now. I don't consume mainstream media, so I know this isn't true, but I can assure you, living up here this is what people think. So opening the borders is not even on the table right now. We had to cancel a couple of U.S. trips last year. One of them was to Darien Lake which is 45 minutes away from Buffalo. I mean, when you can't even go there and aren't sure if you can in 2021 then Florida seems like a much further pipe dream.

castlecake2.0

That's cruel! Don't tease us up here in Canada. It's freakin cold up here! It is supposed to be sub zero temperatures where I am for the next couple of weeks. I have an aunt who is in her 70s and she is livid that she can't take her annual trip to Dominican this year. She'd go tomorrow if she could!
If I wasn’t furloughed I’d be working on Castaway Cay today, so i decided to give myself the closest experience lol.

Raineman

We like to visit in the fall, so I think late October-early November of 2021 is unrealistic for us, so I can see us waiting until November 2022 for our next trip. We always drive across the border, so that restriction has to be lifted before we go anywhere. We do not want to visit WDW with all of the COVID-based requirements currently in place, and I don't see those being gone by November of this year. November 2022 would put us at 3 years since our last trip, which would be the longest we have ever gone between trips to WDW as a family.

davis1978

Original Poster
I am from Alberta myself and I am considering booking a large family trip in May 2022 to WDW. I am seriously hoping things are back to normal at that point. As I see the ramp up of vaccinations in the US I am particularly hopeful that this bodes well for travel from Canada into the US. As well, I am hoping restrictions upon return travel are lifted by then. As mentioned no one can afford to take additional time off work upon return from a trip. We need a return to normalcy for the travel industry to survive. Airlines here are on the verge of going under and they if they have to live this way for another year some will not survive. So to the OPs original point, I hope your trip in November is perfect and that significant, if not all, restrictions have been removed!
Thanks for the reply!

Walt Disney1955

Which happens first: Canadians can get to WDW, or the Canucks or Senators reach 20 wins?

Well it won't be the Senators! haha. If it makes you feel any better I am a Leaf fan though.

I have my fingers crossed for a fall of 2021 trip to WDW. If it is back to normal and this silly border crisis is gone then we are as good as there. That'll be 3 years for us since we've been.

Familyof5

My wife and I are booked for November, but even if we are vaccinated, the very strict and cumbersome travel restrictions on both sides of the border may make it very difficult to get down and back for us regular working folk who can’t take the time off to quarantine for two weeks when we get back. I wonder if they’ll be lifted by then? I’m trying to be optimistic, but unfortunately I believe it will be well in to 2022 until any of us canuks can get back there. I hope I’m wrong.
I think that the issue isn't travel restrictions; the issue will be risk. Restrictions will eventually be lifted. However, even if you are vaccinated I think that your risk depends on those around you. I am watching closely the vaccination rates in Florida (the people who work at Disney) and global rates (the visitors). Anyway, I am making very flexible plans.

Animaniac93-98

This is a global pandemic....nothing to do with which political party is in charge. Please don't make this a political commentary.

Different countries, states and provinces have reacted to the pandemic in different ways. Political parties are directly responsible for what rules and regulations are in place to deal with the effects of COVID.

Canada currently has a minority government at the Federal level. An election was almost called last Fall, and historically, minority governments don't last longer than 2 years. A new government could absolutely have an impact on COVID response, messaging and regulations, as we've seen in the USA with the recent change of administration.

This topic is about when Canadians can travel to the USA and what rules impact international travel, both of which are set by the Federal government. It directly relates to politics.

Minnie Mum

A new government could absolutely have an impact on COVID response, messaging and regulations, as we've seen in the USA with the recent change of administration.
While this is true, it certainly doesn't mean any changes would be for the better. I've no doubt one of the parties would be happy to scrap everything and throw the doors wide open. But does that mean you would stampede down south if the virus is still spreading and vaccination levels still aren't optimum? Or see an influx of unvaccinated and untested tourists head our way?

Everyone is tired and fed up with the restrictions. But I want the government (I don't care who it is) to keep them in place until the virus threat is down to manageable levels on both sides of the border. And given our current supply problem, I don't see that as a possibility until very late this year.

Bpmorley

I know it's not disney, but I have steady Canadian renters for my condo in Clearwater Beach. They've already said they're not going to book for next winter. Their message had fingers crossed for Nov 2022

barrymoss

I can't see the restrictions being dropped until vaccination levels on both sides of the border get the infection rate under control. The US is well ahead of Canada in that regard, here most provinces won't begin vaccinating the general public under 65 years old until July at the earliest. The other factor is how well the current vaccines protect against the new COVID variants--if they provide a high degree of protection, then we should see a reopening of the board in late 2021 (I'm guessing Oct or Nov). If one of the new variants reduces vaccine efficacy to sub-50% then it's a whole new problem and effectively a new pandemic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel like our past government’s generally “anti-Canada” stance contributed some to this travel ban...we could have worked together on vaccine development/procurement months ago and maybe be farther ahead now...not just with Canada but globally...

But baby wasn’t gonna do it...and here we is.

The Mighty Tim

It's not just Canadians who are itching to get back to WDW. I'm in the UK and was looking forward to my September 2020 trip until the virus shenanigans ruined everything. Now I'm wondering when (if) I'll get my long awaited trip!

NickMaio

I can't see the restrictions being dropped until vaccination levels on both sides of the border get the infection rate under control. The US is well ahead of Canada in that regard, here most provinces won't begin vaccinating the general public under 65 years old until July at the earliest. The other factor is how well the current vaccines protect against the new COVID variants--if they provide a high degree of protection, then we should see a reopening of the board in late 2021 (I'm guessing Oct or Nov). If one of the new variants reduces vaccine efficacy to sub-50% then it's a whole new problem and effectively a new pandemic.
Oh ya Canada really bungled up the vaccine distribution.
Its really too bad. Such a stupid mess.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom