Hesitant to invest in Vacation Club

Dayma

We have been thinking about joinning the vacation club the last couple of years but are hesitant to do so. We are planning on having a child in a year or so and would love to take her/him every year but I am concerned on the direction of Disney. I am concerned that the parks are geared towards Thrill rides now and more are coming with no new dark ride being developed. Everst, M:S and possibly redoing SSE are signs that they are more concerned about the 16-30 audience and the children which Disney was founded on.I cant take a child on half the rides anymore.

Does anyone else have these concerns?

Thanks

MinnieMom

We have a 6 year old and 2 1/2 year old. We are also concerned about this direction the Disney parks seem to be taking. It is not a problem now, but I worry about what things may be like if this trend keeps going. I remember Walt designed the parks based on his expereince sitting and watching the kids ride. He wanted a place where families could ride attractions together. There are less and less of those attractions being developed and added. :(

:sohappy: Walt Disney World - Here We Come!
10/12/03-10/19/03:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Dayma

Original Poster
He wanted a place where families could ride attractions together. There are less and less of those attractions being developed and added

Thats my concern and I would hate to spen 12.5k on the vacation club and monthy payments if I can talk my kid there for another 10 years :(

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Well you do have other options for using your points (they are not as good of a "deal" as DVC, but you can do anything you want with your points, inculding renting them out or giving them away.)

Also if after 5 years (or any amount of time really) you can resell your DVC investment. It is not something you are locked into for the next 40 years if you really want to change.

If you really want to join, DVC do it. If you have dreams of a WDW vacation for the next 40 years, join DVC. There is nothing like staying on property, and DVC is much better then that. Having the extra room, lundry and kicten is as good as it gets. We love DVC and are very gald we made the investment of 170 points last year, infact we wish we had more points (220 would be nice.)

Word of advice, buy as many points as you think you will need, buy at the resort you like the best and want to spend the most time at and don't wait too long to buy. The sooner you do, the more use you get out of it.

Upvote 0

Dayma

Original Poster
Word of advice, buy as many points as you think you will need, buy at the resort you like the best and want to spend the most time at and don't wait too long to buy. The sooner you do, the more use you get out of it.

Unfortunately Old Key West is all sold out and that is our favorite place besides Port Orleans ( just like it for some reason). we might have to go through a resale to get Old Key West. Has anyone one this ?

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by blackride
Unfortunately Old Key West is all sold out and that is our favorite place besides Port Orleans ( just like it for some reason). we might have to go through a resale to get Old Key West. Has anyone one this ?

The biggest advantage to OKW is that the dues are the least of any of the DVC resorts. I don't remember if anyone on WDWMagic has done resale but there are a lot of folks at Disboards.com that have. There is a forum there just for DVC related stuff.

Keep this in mind, since OKW is the largest of the DVC properties, it's also the easiest to get reservations. So if you bought anywhere else, it should still be pretty easy to get into.

Upvote 0

Dayma

Original Poster
Keep this in mind, since OKW is the largest of the DVC properties, it's also the easiest to get reservations. So if you bought anywhere else, it should still be pretty easy to get into.

So it is pretty easy to stay at other resorts other than the one you bough into?

Upvote 0

crazygirley

I have a comment on the whole thing. I have a friend who's parents belong, and although he (23) doen't go anymore, his little sister (8) does, and has since she was born. Twice every year, they go with their 8 year old, and his baby sister (15 mon.) will have the tradition as well! They got it when the eight year old was born, and it is amazingly sentimental when she talks about her bi-annual tradition. She truly looks forward to it, and her parents truly cherish the family moments.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Originally posted by blackride
So it is pretty easy to stay at other resorts other than the one you bough into?

We think so! You can stay at any of the DVC resorts anytime, the only catch is that you can book at your home resort up to 11 months out vs. 7 months for any of the other resorts. We own at Wilderness Lodge and havn't stayed there yet, we stayed at Beach Club Villas in March and will be at OKW in August. We will finally stay at our home resort in January. There are a couple of times each year that are really busy and difficult to get into like easter and christmas/new years. One thing you can do is make your reservation at your home resort 11 months out, then you can change it (if you want) at the 7 month window. They also have wait lists that automatically reserve a date for you when one becomes available. We had to do this for January 1.

Upvote 0

Mr. Toad

My parents are DVC members and love it. We usually go down at stay with them. Their home is at OKW but they have stayed at other places. This year we will all be staying at the Beach Club Villas. My mom really didn't have a problem getting in there even though it is not their home resort.

My wife and I looked into joining DVC and would have bought in to the Beach Club when it went on sale but then she decided to go back to school instead. It seemed at the time that if you like to stay on property at a Moderate or Deluxe resort and you go every other year then it is worth it (I think that's how it worked out).

Upvote 0

artvandelay

Blackride, it seems like Disney is going to keep the Magic Kingdom as a young kid friendly park. The most recent additions were Buzz Lightyear, Winnie the Pooh, and eventually Phillarmagic. All of these rides are suitable for children over 3 years old. Epcot and MGM are Disney's battleground against Universal. TOT, Test Track, RNR, and MS are not for young kids. There wasn't much at Animal Kingdom for my 22 month old to do.
Also, think about all of the things you can do outside of the parks. All of the DVC hotels have awesome facilities, pools, and recreational rentals that are great for all ages. My son loved Downtown Disney (Lego, playground, Al's Toy Shop). Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach are also great for kids.
I've been going thru the same deliberations about buying into DVC. I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't make financial sense for me to join. We hope to go to WDW every other year and for what it costs in mait. fees I could stay in a moderate resort for a week. I'm still tempted and go to www.dvc-resales.com once a week to check out what's out there.

Upvote 0

Bagheera

We've been members since 1995. Our son turns 5 in October. Later in October, he will go to WDW for the fifth time, in addition to one trip to DL, all via our DVC points.

The flexibility is what makes the DVC better than any "standard" timeshare. We've used banked and/or borrowed points to do lots of fun things, including staying at WDW for 16 days at the launch of the 25th birthday celebration (with the awful cakesicle), bringing a large group of friends for a big blowout (23 people, 5 nights, 1-3BR and 3-2BRs), staying at a romantic hotel near us on points one Valentine's weekend (before our son was born), and bringing all three sets of our parents (yes, divorce was involved) down with us within the span of 12 months so that everyone gets a chance to enjoy WDW with their grandson (last of those will be in October).

All in all, it's been great for us. But look at the pros and cons over at the DISboards, and at MousePlanet's DVC trip planning guide and decide whether or not it'll be worth it for you.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Dayma

Original Poster
Another quick question for DVC members. If I bring a child does that mean that they will charge me more points for a one bedroom at OKW or a standard room w/ 2 full beds at port orleans? Basically is there any advantage being a member and having a child?

Thanks Again

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Most resort don't charge for children anyway, I belive it is 10 or 15 dollars a night for any more then 2 adults per room. There is a limit or 4 to 5 people in the room, depending on what resort it is and what kind of room (some have bigger rooms that allow more people.)

DVC is not like that. When you buy in, that room is yours for the amount of time you reserve it. You can have as many adults as you want per room, as long as it is under or at the allowed limit (4 in studio and 1 bedroom, 8 in a 2 bedroom, and 12 in a grand villa (3 bedroom.) It doens't matter one bit how many people you have, as long as you don't exceed that. Children under 3 don't count. For example this Aug we are staying in a studio, (hubby and I and 2 year old DD) our BIL and SIL want to come stay a few nights with us. Yes it will be cramped and I can't figure out why they want to sleep in a room with a 2 year old, but we can do it. If they come we will give the front desk their name and have keys issued for them so they can come and go as they please.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom