Here's what Roy and Stanley think about Comcast

General Grizz

Some Imagineers are excited, calling Burke a "good guy" who did some great stuff for Disney (especially DLP).

Still, SaveDisney brought this quote on the Vision page:

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I was afraid of being hampered by studio policies. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." - Walt Disney

cloudboy

I would love to think of Disney as this little company that runs a few theme parks and has a neat animation studio. But you know what? That went away 20 years ago. The world changed and it was just not feasible for a little company with huge marketing potential to stay like that. They either had to be bought out by a big corporation or start up their own big corporation.

20 years later we see that Disney is a huge media giant (at least on par with Comcast). And especially lately we have seen that the core Disney companies that started it all are only small holdings that don't get the attention they deserve. Even if they replace Eisner, they are still going to have all those additional holdings that are going to take away attention. And it is not like they can sell all of them off and really have any hope of surviving independently they would be even more of a takeover target.

I know that the idea of another company souonds kinda scarey, but it already happened in a way and things didn't turn out that bad. The Comcast proposal is NOT a hostile takeover yet - they have not gone directly to purchase stock without the boards consent. If they merge it is quite possible that some of the directors on Disney board will be come directors on Comcast, and there is no reason at all that they would have to choose Comcast name, they could quite conceiveably call the whole shebang Dinsey.

Comcast may not be everyone's favorite - but think about some of the more scarey companies that may come after Disney who only want to break it up and split apart for a few quick bucks.

Pat X

Hi Grizz,

Burke may be a good guy, but I'd rather Roy and CO. recruit him to be the new DISNET CEO than have disney bought out by Comcast just to have him in charge.

Pat X

Hi Cloudboy,

I appreciate your points, but I am not sure I buy what Comcast is pushing right now. They are just saying things that we want to hear without giving any real specifics. Down the road, if the theme parks or the animation division become a drag on their company, I doubt they'll give a damn about Walt's legacy when they decide to sell those properties off.

Also, it can be argued that even if some "Disney" people are on the new board, that doesn't guaruntee they will be able to maintain quality or preserve the Disney heritage under Comcast. Look at what happened with Roy.

Also, regardless of who may be asked to be on the new board, (Roy,Stan, etc.) they won't be on the Comcast board forever, and their replacements may not care about Disney at all.

So, I am hoping Disney can fight this off. Everything I've read so far says Disney will not merge with comcast if they can do anything to stop it.

brisem

Originally posted by Pat X
Hi Cloudboy,

I appreciate your points, but I am not sure I buy what Comcast is pushing right now. They are just saying things that we want to hear without giving any real specifics. Down the road, if the theme parks or the animation division become a drag on their company, I doubt they'll give a damn about Walt's legacy when they decide to sell those properties off.

Everyone keeps bring up Roy and Stan on the Board again. It's would only be short term because of their age. When they off, there's no guarantee that a pro-Disney person will replace them.

Comcast main focus seems to be the Media outlets. So who's to say they let Roy and Stan have a year on the Board, gets rid of them and then sells the parks off. What do you get SAVEDISNEY PART II?

CTXRover

Originally posted by brisem
So who's to say they let Roy and Stan have a year on the Board, gets rid of them and then sells the parks off. What do you get SAVEDISNEY PART II?

That is what is bothering me a little about this. It sounds like if ComCast offers Roy a position back on a "new" board, they will publicly support the merger, more so than they are already doing. I hate to break it to everyone, but Roy won't be around forever. If Stan and Roy really think the merger will be a success if they are back on the board, I fear they are way of base on their campaign/purpose. They set out to "save Disney". I figured that meant refocusing its attention on quality, innovation and creativity through the persuasion and insistence on new leadership in the place of Eisner. Not selling the company off to new leadership.

I would like to know how they really feel. If they would just officially come out and say why a merger like this is really the best thing vs. keeping Disney an independent corporation (as Walt himself would have wanted), then I'll listen and consider it. But I haven't heard anything better than the offer proves how bad Eisner is, how ComCast's Burke is a "Disney guy" and how Roy and Stan could regain board positions on a new board. Why not try and persuade Burke to come back to Disney instead? Why support a takeover?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom