Here's a Brilliant Idea

Bairstow

What coaster was this, and can you post me the increase in numbers the year after it was built. Also was their already an upward trajectory the year before it was built?

Manta, DLP Space Mountain, and Everest are all credited with increasing park performance.

I'm just looking at the broad public attendance numbers, but Manta opened halfway through 2009. Sea World's attendance actually dropped slightly in '09 compared to '08, then took a significant nosedive in 2010 from which it hasn't recovered.

2010, of course, is when Potter opened at Islands.

I don't believe for a minute any coaster will increase attendance significantly.

Why Sea World and Busch Gardens continue down this spiral or building cheap attractions i have no idea. That's what coasters are - cheap trashy attractions that attract a certain thrill seeker, but not the mainstream.

There's nothing cheap or trashy about a world-class B&M flyer like Manta, especially in as beautiful an installation as they gave it.
I read that the budget for the coaster hardware, aquariums, lagoon, and landscaping came in at just under $50 million.

...and since when were roller-coasters not "mainstream"?

ULPO46

Original Poster
They're new after years of struggle that were less of an issue because Busch used the parks as a vehicle of good will and not a major profit center. That all became a serious issue whit new ownership that expected an aggressive return on their investment.
I just think ever since the Blackstone Group took over, everything went downhill. Even the quality of the food at Busch Gardens Williamsburg has gone down. I remember when they were rated the highest quality of any theme park in the world. But the problem with SeaWorld Entertainment is that the people running the company aren't creative any more. All the creative minds were stolen by Disney and Universal leaving seaworld with nothing new. The change of appetite has made it difficult for SeaWorld to compete. But that doesn't mean the company can rebound. My Thesis for my Hospitality and Buisness Management degree was on SeaWorld and what it would take to rebound. I mean I highly doubt that SeaWorld Orlando will end up being closed like SeaWorld Ohio. It would take a nuclear catastrophe for the company to close Orlando's location. But I believe someday it could rebound. After all I invested in SEAS.

919Florida

I just think ever since the Blackstone Group took over, everything went downhill. Even the quality of the food at Busch Gardens Williamsburg has gone down. I remember when they were rated the highest quality of any theme park in the world. But the problem with SeaWorld Entertainment is that the people running the company aren't creative any more. All the creative minds were stolen by Disney and Universal leaving seaworld with nothing new. The change of appetite has made it difficult for SeaWorld to compete. But that doesn't mean the company can rebound. My Thesis for my Hospitality and Buisness Management degree was on SeaWorld and what it would take to rebound. I mean I highly doubt that SeaWorld Orlando will end up being closed like SeaWorld Ohio. It would take a nuclear catastrophe for the company to close Orlando's location. But I believe someday it could rebound. After all I invested in SEAS.

I have to agree. I hate what Blackstone has done with SeaWorld and dont feel they have the best of SeaWorld in their mind. Dont get me wrong I obviously love the park and will keep going over and over. I just know it could be better. I would like to see someone take over who cares about the park and wants to see it thrive and grow on what they do already. i am hoping with the new CEO amazing things will come as well. Just things are quiet so I am waiting to here what his vision is for the company and where he is taking it. Seaworld is a great company and like you said they will make it. I feel the park already has so much potential they just need to do it

Donald Razorduck

I have to agree. I hate what Blackstone has done with SeaWorld and dont feel they have the best of SeaWorld in their mind. Dont get me wrong I obviously love the park and will keep going over and over. I just know it could be better. I would like to see someone take over who cares about the park and wants to see it thrive and grow on what they do already. i am hoping with the new CEO amazing things will come as well. Just things are quiet so I am waiting to here what his vision is for the company and where he is taking it. Seaworld is a great company and like you said they will make it. I feel the park already has so much potential they just need to do it
He's told you, you just missed it. In the 1st quarter conference call he states that it will be in the fall on where he shares more guidance on direction of the parks. Unlike Herschend which was private, he will have to provide some insight on where he's taking the parks.

Bairstow

If Antartica is a flop, I wish all those people would stop getting in line for it. It's rare for me to see less than an hour wait.

You must be going during peak times.
When we saw it last year the wait was well under 30 minutes.
Regardless of your personal experience, attendance in the wake of these new attractions has dropped, not increased.

919Florida

You must be going during peak times.
When we saw it last year the wait was well under 30 minutes.
Regardless of your personal experience, attendance in the wake of these new attractions has dropped, not increased.
I am with the other poster on this. I never see the wait lower than 45 minutes unless we are at an hour prior to park closing. I miss out on seeing the penguins so much because I don't want to wait an hour. This past Sunday it was 65 just for an example at 4pm. Antarctica constantly has long waits every time I am there

JoeCamel

I am with the other poster on this. I never see the wait lower than 45 minutes unless we are at an hour prior to park closing. I miss out on seeing the penguins so much because I don't want to wait an hour. This past Sunday it was 65 just for an example at 4pm. Antarctica constantly has long waits every time I am there

Ummm can't you just come in the other way and see the penguins?
There is no reason to ride the vehicles to get there?

UpAllNight

I look forward to the conference in November where Seaworlds future direction will be discussed.

According to TEA, in 2014 over 4.5million people visited the Orlando site in 2014...regardless of Disneys and Universals numbers, this is a massive amount of people and shows people are still coming to Seaworld Orlando, but where do they go from here? The CEO stated in the last conference call that investment was required, and acknowledged the tough competition in the Orlando Market....that makes me hopeful of new additions every year at the Orlando site. They need marketable attractions and Mako being the tallest, fastest, longest coaster in Orlando will certainly help them for next year, but what next? What route can they go down to stand out, without building higher and faster?

For the record I adored Seaworld....absolutely gorgeous park, great shows, interesting exhibits and 2 fabulous Rollercoasters. We just won't talk about Wild Artic which was legitimately the worst thing I've ever been on :)

ULPO46

Original Poster
I look forward to the conference in November where Seaworlds future direction will be discussed.

According to TEA, in 2014 over 4.5million people visited the Orlando site in 2014...regardless of Disneys and Universals numbers, this is a massive amount of people and shows people are still coming to Seaworld Orlando, but where do they go from here? The CEO stated in the last conference call that investment was required, and acknowledged the tough competition in the Orlando Market....that makes me hopeful of new additions every year at the Orlando site. They need marketable attractions and Mako being the tallest, fastest, longest coaster in Orlando will certainly help them for next year, but what next? What route can they go down to stand out, without building higher and faster?

For the record I adored Seaworld....absolutely gorgeous park, great shows, interesting exhibits and 2 fabulous Rollercoasters. We just won't talk about Wild Artic which was legitimately the worst thing I've ever been on :)
I totally agree with you.. SeaWorld was always one of my favorite parks growing up. It was a second Lake Eola to my family and we enjoyed taking picnics there. I just feel that the atmosphere has changed a whole lot. It's sad I actually haven't been there since Imbev sold the park to the blackstone group but I miss the place. The free concerts, the shows, the rather limited assortment of rides and the beautifully landscaped gardens. I wonder what ever was addressed at the last conference, it never made much sense to me. Yes 4.5 Million is still a huge number stipulating that 50+ million people visit Orlando every year.

Crazydisneyfanluke

IMHO, The Wild Artic area should be the next place to redevelop. The other side of the park is relatively new (Besides Kraken, and Atlantis) Which still have long lines. It would also be nice for a full lengthy refurb of Atlantis to sync the ride back together, upgrade the projects, lighting and effects to bring back what use to be a great dark water ride.

UpAllNight

I totally agree with you.. SeaWorld was always one of my favorite parks growing up. It was a second Lake Eola to my family and we enjoyed taking picnics there. I just feel that the atmosphere has changed a whole lot. It's sad I actually haven't been there since Imbev sold the park to the blackstone group but I miss the place. The free concerts, the shows, the rather limited assortment of rides and the beautifully landscaped gardens. I wonder what ever was addressed at the last conference, it never made much sense to me. Yes 4.5 Million is still a huge number stipulating that 50+ million people visit Orlando every year.

I suspect Seaworld have gained a loyal following, but struggle to attract first time visitors due to the intense competition in the market and the difficulty in standing out against the might of Disney and the draw of Potter especially. Disney and Universal also heavily market in countries like the UK...I've yet to see a Seaworld advert.

But for people they manage to get through the door, I'd guess many would return. That's why picking the right attractions is vital....the tallest fastest longest coaster in Orlando needs to be marketed right. They need to shout about the awards Manta and Kraken have won and say people, hang on look what we have here.

ULPO46

Original Poster
I suspect Seaworld have gained a loyal following, but struggle to attract first time visitors due to the intense competition in the market and the difficulty in standing out against the might of Disney and the draw of Potter especially. Disney and Universal also heavily market in countries like the UK...I've yet to see a Seaworld advert.

But for people they manage to get through the door, I'd guess many would return. That's why picking the right attractions is vital....the tallest fastest longest coaster in Orlando needs to be marketed right. They need to shout about the awards Manta and Kraken have won and say people, hang on look what we have here.
They don't have the vision though. Corporate SEAS doesn't do much. The UK isn't the largest group to arrive in Orlando. They focus more on targeting the Asian and Latin American markets. But I do believe this CEO can get somewhere. He just needs the right marketing team.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom