Helping Someone with Disability Issues in the Parks

nickys

Premium Member
What you have heard is false. My wife used an ECV on our last trip and she used the regular lines if she felt they were ok to navigate. If not we used the DAS return lines. If you go to guest services they will not and CAN NOT ask you why you need it. It gets put on your magic band and those in your party. When you go to DAS entrance at a ride you scan in and they give you a return time. There is no judgement call a CM makes whether you are eligible to enter through DAS.
No judgement call, no. But you are asked at GS why you need a DAS, not the diagnosis but what accomodations you need, why the regular line does not work for you.

If it is solely a mobility issue they will, and do, direct someone to using a wheelchair.

But equally, not everyone using an ECV or wheelchair is doing so solely because of a mobility issue. And using one does not exclude you from the DAS.

correcaminos

What you have heard is false. My wife used an ECV on our last trip and she used the regular lines if she felt they were ok to navigate. If not we used the DAS return lines. If you go to guest services they will not and CAN NOT ask you why you need it. It gets put on your magic band and those in your party. When you go to DAS entrance at a ride you scan in and they give you a return time. There is no judgement call a CM makes whether you are eligible to enter through DAS.
They do ask why you need it. They sure asked me. They nearly denied me saying a wheelchair is available but proving a wheelchair is worse for my issues got them to approve it. They don't ask massive specifics, but they do ask. Once you are approved there is no judgment yes, but prior? Yeah they really do. Having documentation from Disability services did help as they suggested this after contacting about suggestions for my issues.

No judgement call, no. But you are asked at GS why you need a DAS, not the diagnosis but what accomodations you need, why the regular line does not work for you.

If it is solely a mobility issue they will, and do, direct someone to using a wheelchair.

But equally, not everyone using an ECV or wheelchair is doing so solely because of a mobility issue. And using one does not exclude you from the DAS.

Well stated.

Simba's Mom

Another advantage of an ECV over a wheelchair is for the user. Independence! Go where/when you want. Want to see what was happening around that corner? Spy a souvenir you might be interested in? I've been in both, a wheelchair when I fractured my pelvis, and an ECV at WDW, and when I was in a wheelchair, I hated having to depend on someone else to get me where I wanted/needed to go.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
They do ask why you need it. They sure asked me. They nearly denied me saying a wheelchair is available but proving a wheelchair is worse for my issues got them to approve it. They don't ask massive specifics, but they do ask. Once you are approved there is no judgment yes, but prior? Yeah they really do. Having documentation from Disability services did help as they suggested this after contacting about suggestions for my issues.

Well stated.
Sorry you had a bad time, but by law they can not ask what your disability is. Too many people gaming the system probably have made them jaded to the people with real issues.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member

They ask you that to give you the best instruction how to do the parks they can come up with. Some people take it as a rebuke but there are many ways the DAS can be used, not just the return times. Even the return queue can be lengthy depending on the attraction. If time in line is an issue for someone on the spectrum, they will instruct you to tell the CMs at the return area this and they will further help you by putting you through a shorter wait using bypasses. They may "suggest" a wheelchair, but they can not tell you or deny you a DAS, because they have no real clue what the issue is. That is between the party and their doctor.

nickys

Premium Member
They ask you that to give you the best instruction how to do the parks they can come up with. Some people take it as a rebuke but there are many ways the DAS can be used, not just the return times. Even the return queue can be lengthy depending on the attraction. If time in line is an issue for someone on the spectrum, they will instruct you to tell the CMs at the return area this and they will further help you by putting you through a shorter wait using bypasses. They may "suggest" a wheelchair, but they can not tell you or deny you a DAS, because they have no real clue what the issue is. That is between the party and their doctor.
What I meant was, if someone goes to GS and says “I sprained / broke my ankle and I can’t put any weight on it”, they’ll tell you to use a wheelchair. They are highly unlikely to give you a DAS.

Smiley/OCD

Another advantage of an ECV over a wheelchair is for the user. Independence! Go where/when you want. Want to see what was happening around that corner? Spy a souvenir you might be interested in? I've been in both, a wheelchair when I fractured my pelvis, and an ECV at WDW, and when I was in a wheelchair, I hated having to depend on someone else to get me where I wanted/needed to go.
Just learn how to navigate it BEFORE venturing out in the busy parks...and BE POLITE!!! There's no reason to blow your horn every 30 seconds to get everyone to move out of your way!!! As an ECV user, and a DAS user, I have never been asked, HOWEVER, I always carry a letter from my Neurologist, just in case. I don't/wouldn't get offended if someone were to ask me.

correcaminos

Sorry you had a bad time, but by law they can not ask what your disability is. Too many people gaming the system probably have made them jaded to the people with real issues.
They never asked what my disabilities were flat out. They absolutely can ask you what accommodations you need. It's been easy to renew when I go, but the first time they asked what I needed and why a chair or ECV wouldn't work. Other amusement parks actually ask for more, so they absolutely can ask more than you are implying. Much like working animals they can asked what tasks they are trained to do. People really assume that we are not to be asked anything, when in fact they can. An ECV or wheels alone will not get you DAS. Assuming they won't ask anything either is a bad idea too. I actually want them to be strict. Though asking for a supervisor wasn't my happy way to start the day. But it worked once I showed the right info. They assumed a chair would fix my needs at first, it doesn't. Also doesn't help with anxiety attacks, but they seemed to be focused on one thing. It'd really all good though and I appreciate them not handing it out like candy.

They will deny if a chair or ECV alone will fix the issue.

Hcalvert

Um, I was just repeating the information that some people told me with in a different thread (which I alluded to in my original post). I know how the DAS line works as I have had one since the reopening and used it for three trips already due to a mobility disability. CMs do ask why you need a DAS (what accomodations). This is what others on here have said people were denied for. I was asked when I requested one and they didn't give me any problems based on the accomodations needed. My dad did not bother to request one since I already have one and he was in my planning party. He has the same genetic mobility disability, but it is more advanced than mine. I don't have personal experience in being denied, so I have no idea if what others were sharing is misleading or not.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom