Help with Milk...??

Wilson-uk

Original Poster
Ok i know this a little bit random but i want to avoid the same mistake as last time..
We are off to the world in feb and normally just have breakfast in the villa, just some cereal and milk, however when we last came in September we brought milk from Wal Mart and it just tasted like it was off all the time! :hurl:
Back in the UK there are the options of full fat, semi or skimmed milk. We normally have semi - could you please tell me what the same is so we don't make the same mistake in Feb

thanks in advance!
:wave:

Dave Disney

You're going to want to probably go with what we in the states call 1% or 2%. The percentage is the milkfat content. So obviously 1% is closer to skim and is what I and most other folks I know prefer but if you want to be closer to whole milk (your full) you should try 2%. Good luck and have a great time in February!

Ok i know this a little bit random but i want to avoid the same mistake as last time..
We are off to the world in feb and normally just have breakfast in the villa, just some cereal and milk, however when we last came in September we brought milk from Wal Mart and it just tasted like it was off all the time! :hurl:
Back in the UK there are the options of full fat, semi or skimmed milk. We normally have semi - could you please tell me what the same is so we don't make the same mistake in Feb

thanks in advance!
:wave:

trr1

here they are rated this way
Whole milk
Reduced-fat milk (2%)
Low-fat milk (1%)
Skimmed milk/non-fat milk
you could also try soy, rice or shelf stable milk
thumbnail.aspx

wdwwdeagle

Horizon brand makes a shelf-stable (ultra pasteurized) 2% milk container that is the perfect size for pouring over a bowl of cereal (approx. 8 oz.). They are packaged like a juice box with a straw attached, but you can open and pour as well. They're about $1 each, and should be available at Publix.

RiversideBunny

Whole milk tastes too fat.
1% and 2% milk are good.
Skim milk tastes like dish water.

Hope that helps.
:)

By the way, next time you make reservations at WDW request a 'Villa Avec Vache'.
Then you can have fresh milk.

sueuk

We use semi - skimmed, and when we're in USA we use 2% which we find OK. (We have the same thing with american butter - loads of choice and none of them just seem to have 'butter' written on the pack! never know which one to choose!!) :ROFLOL:

tigsmom

We use semi - skimmed, and when we're in USA we use 2% which we find OK. (We have the same thing with american butter - loads of choice and none of them just seem to have 'butter' written on the pack! never know which one to choose!!) :ROFLOL:

Butter is butter... it comes sweet cream or salted. If you want full fat then choose one of those. You can get reduced fat butters (blech :hurl: ) or then the different types of margarine.

As for the milk, I buy 2% which is a reduced fat.

RiversideBunny

...none of them just seem to have 'butter' written on the pack! never know which one to choose!!) :ROFLOL:

In the U.S. real butter tends to come in little boxes with four quarter pound sticks. The boxes have the word 'Butter' on them.
Sometimes it says 'Sweet Creamery Butter' or 'Unsalted Butter' but it's butter.

There's also a Soft Butter version in plastic tubs that is easier to scoop out but, IMHO, loses a little of the flavor but not too much.

Margarine and 'spreads' can be most anything and are usually mostly vegetable oil and not real butter.

Good luck.
:)

Phonedave

Butter is butter... it comes sweet cream or salted. If you want full fat then choose one of those. You can get reduced fat butters (blech :hurl: ) or then the different types of margarine.

As for the milk, I buy 2% which is a reduced fat.

Well, butter is not really just butter.

Different butters have different amounts of butterfat - they just don't put it on the package.

Butter must be at least %80 butterfat, and 2% milk solids. The rest can be water or .... more fat! (or more solids)

Different butters will also taste (and look) different depending on what the cows have been eating. Even the commerical ones change with the seasons as the cows go off graze and onto silage.

There are also Grade AA, A, and B available. Most of the time all you are going to see is AA, and maybe A, but in some off the wall stores I have seen B. For general "eating" butter, stick with the AA

http://www.landolakesfoodservice.com/products/viewproductsku.aspx?s=14300

I would not be suprised if many WDW locations are cooking with grade B though.

-dave

tigsmom

Well, butter is not really just butter.

Different butters have different amounts of butterfat - they just don't put it on the package.

Butter must be at least %80 butterfat, and 2% milk solids. The rest can be water or .... more fat! (or more solids)

Different butters will also taste (and look) different depending on what the cows have been eating. Even the commerical ones change with the seasons as the cows go off graze and onto silage.

There are also Grade AA, A, and B available. Most of the time all you are going to see is AA, and maybe A, but in some off the wall stores I have seen B. For general "eating" butter, stick with the AA

http://www.landolakesfoodservice.com/products/viewproductsku.aspx?s=14300

I would not be suprised if many WDW locations are cooking with grade B though.

-dave

I have 6 pounds of butter in my freezer right now - both sweet and salted, Name brand and store brands and all are AA, I haven't seen anything else in the stores both here in NY and in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom