Help with itinerary

Kevin3468

We will be at Disney World May 19th-26th, we will be staying off site renting a house in the Wyndham Palms development. We are unsure whether to buy a 4 day park-hopper pass and use the 2 other days to maybe go to Sea World or Universal, or buy a 5 day park hopper. My wife and I haven't been to Disney in long time and we are taking our 2 1/2 year old daughter with us and Grandmom. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Figaro

If your daughter likes animals and fish, I would go to Sea World one day. She's young, like my son (2 1/2yrs), and may like the break from Disney theme parks. I think it's a little more relaxing and there aren't too many lines to wait on at Sea World. Just avoid the gigantic play are they have! You may never see her again :)

Upvote 0

cm1988

Change of pace

Water parks make a nice change of pace. My personal favorite is Typhoon Lagoon, which has the relaxing atmosphere of a tropical beach. Some prefer the more thrilling rides (there's a steep slide down 'Mount Mayday', for example), but the inner tube ride around Castaway Creek is pretty compelling on a warm summer day. The younger set has not been overlooked, with a wide beach and Ketchakiddee Creek available to them.

If you're interested, there's detailed descriptions of the park and its attractions at this link.

Upvote 0

my2sweetums

Definitely figure 2 days at MK with a 2 1/2 year old. The last time we went our boys were 2 1/2 and 6 mo. We did 2 days at MK, 1 at Disney Studios and one at Animal Kingdom. We took one day to just stay at the hotel(Shades of Green) and relax. We are going again in Oct and boys will be 2 1/2 and 4 1/2 and we are staying longer to have 2 days of hotel rest. Toddlers get so overwhelmed by everything I think it really helps to let them just play and relax for at least 1 day. I know that is not possible sometimes but just a suggestion for helping to make sure your daughter has a great time! Have Fun!! :)

Upvote 0

2much2do

I agree! You will probably need two days for Magic Kingdom. Kids that age trive on repitition, and I am betting she will want to go back and ride her favorite rides again. When we first took my son, he was almost two, and wanted to ride IASW over and over, and so, we did! Also, if I had a choice between taking a day to relax around my hotel, swim in the pool and take it easy, or go to Sea World, I would not go to Sea World.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I don't think Sea World is worth the price they charge. All you can do all day is see fish and animal shows. Your daughter will probably not like it, because all the rides they have (3) are for older people. It really isn't a great park. I would say spend the entire time at Disney because it is the only family oriented place. The other parks are really aimed for older audiences. And with the age range you have the other parks probably won't be as appealing to you.

Upvote 0

Figaro

The other parks are really aimed for older audiences. And with the age range you have the other parks probably won't be as appealing to you.

Sorry, I disagree. There are only 2 or 3 rides and you are right, they are made for older people. But if your child loves animals, this a good place to get up close to them. Besides watching the fish, you can feed and pet Sting Rays, Dolphins, sea lions. My son was in awe of the Clydesdale Horses, sharks and Polar Bears. You don't have to rush around b/c there's hardly a line for the exhibits.
It is expensive, as is every other attraction in Orlando. But there are plenty of discount cards and stuff.
Trust me, I am a major Disney fanatic, but I wouldn't rule out Sea World if we were staying off property.

Upvote 0

mej

I agree Figaro. My kids love SeaWorld and have done since they were tiny. The shows are entertaining for all ages (and you sit down to watch them!)

Upvote 0

2much2do

I'm gonna have to disagree. Sea World is a great park, it is a wonderful aquarium, etc. We have been and enjoyed it. I am sure everyone who goes there loves it.......BUT it is no way better than anything they've got in Disney. Nope. Never. If I had tons of money and tons of time, I sure would head over to Sea world, and lots of other great attractions in Orlando. But, with limited time and a two year old, I'd stay at Disney, take in Magic Kingdom twice, maybe MGM twice so she could catch the Bear in the Big Blue House and Beauty and the Beast, spend some time taking it easy and swimming in the resort pool (it is what they seem to remember the most, you know!) and I would skip, skip, skip Sea World and any other "distraction" in central Florida. It's all about what your plan is. Are you going to Central Florida on vacation, or are you going to Disney World on vacation??????????

JMO :)

Upvote 0

Figaro

Thanks MEJ for agreeing with me, I was beginning to think I was going to be burned at the stake for suggesting something besides Disney! :)

The OP said he and his family are not staying at Disney. Also, I would not say that Sea World is better than Disney, it's totally different. Disney has AK, but lets face it, it's an amusement park. We love AK, but you don't get the same interaction with as many animals as you do at SeaWorld.

I have a 2 1/2 year old myself. They get very overstimulated and overtired very easily if you spend your whole vacation waiting on lines and going on rides. Generally, most kids this age love animals and will enjoy watching them play.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Well I would get a 5 day pass and spend the 6th day at Sea World wouldn't try to do Universal unless the adults REALLY want to see it. If so then go w/IOA and let grandma stay in Seuss Landing w/the 2 1/2 yr old. We have done Sea World many times...my kids love it...love feeding the stingrays..even when she was 18 mths and daddy had to hold her to feed the dolphins etc..very hands on...so it depends on the child..most 2 yr olds are not serious ride enthusiasts yet...the parents might be but the 2 yr olds also love hands on experiences and Sea World is not an 8/10 hour park...you can do it and see the shows in alot less time...making it a good middle of the week thing to do...allowing for rest..sleep in and come back to hotel early...since you are staying off site I would suggest allowing extra time to get to the parks...add half an hour to what ever time the hotel says...have fun

Upvote 0

figmentmom

I'd buy the 5-day passes anyway, whatever itinerary you finally decide on, because the unused days don't expire.

We did go to Sea World on our first trip to Disney; our kids liked it but did NOT ask to return (in stark contrast to our experiences at Disney!)

Remember that the best-laid plans can go awry - maybe it's best to just see how things go once you get there. Lots of variables, including weather, nap times, etc., can change things.

Have a great time!

Upvote 0

Disneynutcase

First of all, we stayed at the Wyndham Palms on our most recent trip in early April. If the house you get is anything like the 6 bedroom place we got for our party of 10, you'll love it. You're really close to Disney MGM. Epcot and AK aren't much farther away. Only MK takes a bit of time to get to. And we found it nice to just totally be away from the parks and removed from the Disney stimulation whenever we headed back home. All the houses on site seemed to be very roomy and beautiful, although I was only able to go inside ours. But I'm sure you'll really love it.

Regarding how to make an itenerary--we went with four kids two of whom were small (3 1/2 and just barely 2 years old.) Breaking up touring days with some off time was helpful. We did three days where we incorporated "nap times" back at the house into our plans, two days where we went all day gonzo at the parks (the kids surprisingly stayed awake) and were usually done by 8:00pm. And we took an entire day off right in the middle to do nothing.

I like SeaWorld and if you've never been, it presents a nice alternative to Disney. It's slower paced, more hands on (if you like that sort of thing) and is mostly show oriented.

But if given the choice of a Disney park over Sea World, all four kids in my party would unquestionably choose Disney.

We did AK and the kids had a blast. They have some good shows, great animal trails, the Safari ride is cool, and there are CM/animal experts everywhere--some even have animals to pet, touch or get a good close up look at. My family went in with a bit of hesitance, not quite sure what we were in for, and came out loving the place. Definately see the parade--it's one of WDW's best ones--and take your kid into the Boneyard play area (just make sure to go over all bridges so you can find the giant sandpit/excavation area). Also we saw more costumed characters out in the open at this park than at any of the other four. So if you think your little one will be into seeing "guys," this is the place to do it at.

We also had great success at Epcot. Most of the attractions are pretty mellow. A lot of the park is about stopping and looking around, taking in the surroundings, finding an obscure show or info booth. Spaceship Earth is one of the few rides we did twice at WDW. Our family also really liked shows like Cranium Command and Food Rocks--perfect for smaller ones.

Disney/MGM really only merits a half day for little ones--the Playhouse Disney Show, Mermaid Show, Beauty and The Beast Show, Muppets 3-D, and Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playground are really the only age appropriate things. Most of the rides will be too scary or intense--although the grown ups will think that Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster are great.

You'll at least need a day and a half at MK--that's what we needed. And it's funny, with our party, no one really got obsessed with needing to do a ride for a second time just after riding. We found that having something else spinning, whirring or whizzing by within eyesight always inspired a "let's try that one" response. I guess it depends on the kid. Ours were really into a "what's next?" mode.

Good luck and Have fun!

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Hey Disneynutcase, talk about a great post! I am a bit jealous though...at our last visit in 2000 my daughter then 3 insisted on riding the Winnie The Pooh ride about 5 times in a row...lucky their was no line so we just kept going around and around and around...if kids do have a certain favorite...let them ride it again ..we also find with the younger kids MGM is only partial day..either hop back to MK for another go round in Fantasyland or make that day an early day for rest. and I agree that MK needs a minimum of 1 1/2-2 days for optimum fun w/ fewest meltdowns...you just cant rush a 2 yr old

Upvote 0

Kevin3468

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the many responses, 19 days and counting before we leave and now more excited then ever to get there after reading all your posts!! We've decided to go ahead and get the 5 day pass, and see how are daughter is doing throughout week before deciding on Sea World or just a relaxing day at pool for the 6th day. Thank You Disneynutcase, I've heard lots of good things about Wyndham Palms and am looking forward to staying there.

Upvote 0

Disneynutcase

FYI--regarding Wyndham Palms.

Right when we got back from our trip, my mother-in-law who was with us on the trip, received the latest copy of Frommer's Travel Magazine and it had a feature article on the Wyndham Palms, declaring it the new hidden gem of a resort at or near WDW. I don't remember the actual details in the article so I can't exactly quote what was said. But I remember thinking to myself, "yep, yep, yep, that's what we got as far as feel, service, amenities, etc.." If you have a decent newsstand in your area, it might be worth checking it to see if they still have the mag.

Be sure to check out the big pool at the club house and if your kid gets restless while you're hovering around your rental place, head to the playground.

I'd definately stay there again.

Upvote 0

Nala59

We've been going to Disney and the Orlando area since my youngest was a year old, and she is 13 now.

I agree that you need at least a day and a half at MK... but do yourself a favor, and go to Sea World also. I would skip EPCOT with young kids. Actually I would do Sea World over EPCOT anyday...

Did I say that outloud? :zipit:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Yeah, Nala is right...the little ones wont find a whole lot in Epcot...well we always go...more for the adults and the kids aren't miserable or anything...there is stuff to do in the Future World and some of the countries have things...but half day in MGM and half in Epcot...combine the two into one day if you want...but give at least 1 1/2-2 days at MK....we do like Sea World...I would recommend it for the 2 yr old

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom