Help w/ evaluating a potential one day visit next summer

Hula Popper

Original Poster
We may be traveling from the East Coast through Los Angeles on the way to another destination next July and might have a day that we could use to hop over to DL/DCA. Our kids would be 12, 8, and 6. Our last trip to WDW was fall 2014 and we had been going every three years, but probably won't go back until 2018 at the earliest. I don't think it's likely we'd have another opportunity to visit DL/DCA anytime soon.

As you might suspect, our highest priority attractions would be ones that are unique to DL/DCA or better versions of what is also available at WDW. Given the limited time and preferences, we'd also be more ride oriented than show oriented.

Here's our higher priority list (in no particular order other than RSR being the #1 priority).

DCA
Radiator Springs Racers
Monsters, Inc.

DL

Pirates
Indiana Jones
Alice in Wonderland
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Snow White
Pinocchio
Roger Rabbit
Hyperspace Mountain
Finding Nemo Subs
Storybook Land Boats

Thoughts on whether it would be possible to do all of our highest priority attractions on a single July Sunday? If doing just one day, I've seen most suggest starting at DCA and RSR first, and then moving to DL. Is that generally the best way to go? If you think there's enough time to do the above, how much of the below might we be able to fit in? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Next Priority
DCA

Soarin' (we haven't seen Around the World yet and youngest missed out on Soarin' last time at WDW)
Luigi
Mater
Grizzly River Run

DL
Thunder Mountain (youngest missed out last time at WDW)
Splash Mountain (youngest missed out last time at WDW)
Star Tours (youngest missed out last time at WDW)

Animaniac93-98

Thoughts on whether it would be possible to do all of our highest priority attractions on a single July Sunday? If doing just one day, I've seen most suggest starting at DCA and RSR first, and then moving to DL. Is that generally the best way to go? If you think there's enough time to do the above, how much of the below might we be able to fit in? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Having recently done a day a Disneyland with both parks, I'd recommend the following:

- Start with DCA and RSR like everyone else says. It's simply the best way to do it. The only other option is the single riderline for the ride, but that would involve splitting up your group and the line may not be open if the stand-by wait is under 60 minutes when you get there

- See Soarin' instead of Monsters Inc. MI is OK, but it's nothing special. The new Soarin' is much better and wait times are shorter than WDW

- Pick one or two of the Fantasyland/Toontown dark rides. I'd say Alice and Roger Rabbit. While they are all short in duration, if you're spending 20 minutes + in line for each of them, that will eat up a lot of your day. The same is true for rides like Mater and Luigi

- Indiana Jones is a must, but like Test Track it tends to break down from time to time. If it's not open when you walk by, tray again later. It also has a single rider line to help cut down on the wait.

- The Submarines are a time consuming experience because of the length of the ride and how long it take to load and unload. If it's a must for your family, skip Storybookland and do them instead (or vice versa).

- There's no difference between Star Tours at WDW and DLR. DLR has longer lines because there are two fewer simulators. I'd save it for the next time you're in WDW. Splash Mountain is also better at WDW.

Of your two lists I'd recommend doing the following:

- RSR
- Soarin'
- Grizzly River Run

- Indiana Jones
- Pirates
- Submarines (or Storybookland)
- Alice
- Mr. Toad
- Space Mountain (or Big Thunder Mountain)

If you have time to do more, you can always do them after.

Some attractions may also be closed for refurbishment, though that's less likely in July.

TP2000

Unpopular opinion: Disneyland has the better Splash Mountain. I wouldn't miss it. :D

You think? I never knew Splash Mountain had a plotline until I rode the WDW version.

@Hula Popper , your basic plan is doable, especially your first tier options. Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers and Hyperspace Mountain is a must. And you absolutely must have the Disneyland App on your phone, too. Comfy walking shoes, obviously.

Let's talk the calendar. Is that Sunday the only day you can visit? Saturdays are often less busy than Sundays because APs are blocked out on summer Saturdays. And the Disneyland Anniversary and D23 Expo are the weekend of July 15th-17th, so hopefully you aren't looking at that weekend as it will be busier than normal then.

GiveMeTheMusic

We may be traveling from the East Coast through Los Angeles on the way to another destination next July and might have a day that we could use to hop over to DL/DCA. Our kids would be 12, 8, and 6. Our last trip to WDW was fall 2014 and we had been going every three years, but probably won't go back until 2018 at the earliest. I don't think it's likely we'd have another opportunity to visit DL/DCA anytime soon.

As you might suspect, our highest priority attractions would be ones that are unique to DL/DCA or better versions of what is also available at WDW. Given the limited time and preferences, we'd also be more ride oriented than show oriented.

Here's our higher priority list (in no particular order other than RSR being the #1 priority).

DCA
Radiator Springs Racers
Monsters, Inc.

DL

Pirates
Indiana Jones
Alice in Wonderland
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Snow White
Pinocchio
Roger Rabbit
Hyperspace Mountain
Finding Nemo Subs
Storybook Land Boats

Next Priority
DCA

Soarin' (we haven't seen Around the World yet and youngest missed out on Soarin' last time at WDW)
Luigi
Mater
Grizzly River Run

DL
Thunder Mountain (youngest missed out last time at WDW)
Splash Mountain (youngest missed out last time at WDW)
Star Tours (youngest missed out last time at WDW)

If nighttime shows interest you, it would be wise to book a Fantasmic dining package as soon as they become available. Fantasmic will be brand new and freshly premiered, so its popularity will be through the roof (beyond its normal insane popularity). If you see the first Fantasmic, you'd then have time after to catch the second Paint the Night parade.

Also, I'd recommend skipping the subs unless the line is all but negligible. They are super lame and the novelty of being in a sub wears thin quickly. YMMV.

TP2000

Also, I'd recommend skipping the subs unless the line is all but negligible. They are super lame and the novelty of being in a sub wears thin quickly. YMMV.

Agreed. It's fun to walk down into that cramped submarine and sit there for a few minutes peering out of your porthole. At the five minute mark you kind of think "Well, this was fun, are we done?", but the actual ride is 17 minutes long. o_O
5983968839_5e4860d789_b.jpg

The thing to remember here @Hula Popper is that Disneyland and DCA have as many rides (actually one or two more) than all four WDW parks combined have. Disneyland alone has 15 additional rides that are missing from Magic Kingdom Park, and several of those are major E Ticket attractions like Matterhorn Bobsleds, Indiana Jones Adventure, etc. DCA has 26 rides. 26. Think about that and then consider that DHS at WDW has just 5 rides. DAK at WDW has only 7 rides. And there is more major daily entertainment packed into the two Anaheim parks then the four WDW combined, even if they are able to get Rivers of Light up and running some time in 2017.

You have a lot of rides and shows and parades and water spectaculars to choose from at Disneyland and DCA, so you are very wise to start planning this far out and create a strategy that only focuses on the things unique to Anaheim.

Stevek

Agreed. It's fun to walk down into that cramped submarine and sit there for a few minutes peering out of your porthole. At the five minute mark you kind of think "Well, this was fun, are we done?", but the actual ride is 17 minutes long. o_O
5983968839_5e4860d789_b.jpg

With kids that are 12, 8 & 6, I might advise the opposite. It may get boring to adults after awhile but the opportunity to ride in a sub, in a Disney park, doesn't happen for most kids out there.

truecoat

Thunder Mountain has some cool effects not in WDW. I'd try to do that too. Fastpass is your friend and remember some of the machines aren't connected so you can double up (unless they switch to the app by then). Just do some research on the interwebs.

TP2000

With kids that are 12, 8 & 6, I might advise the opposite. It may get boring to adults after awhile but the opportunity to ride in a sub, in a Disney park, doesn't happen for most kids out there.

Hmm... Children. At Disneyland? I guess it could happen, and I guess little kids who ended up at Disneyland could enjoy a Nemo submarine ride.

Children at Disneyland, of all places. I forget about that demographic sometimes. :cool:

Phroobar

Hmm... Children. At Disneyland? I guess it could happen, and I guess little kids who ended up at Disneyland could enjoy a Nemo submarine ride.

Children at Disneyland, of all places. I forget about that demographic sometimes. :cool:

SAYANA: What are children?
KIRK: The little ones? Look like you? Just go on the way you're going. You'll find out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom