Help understanding DVC Resale with Direct Add-on

Dr.GrantSeeker

After more research I am still leaning towards resale just based on the cost saving along. I am not sure if anyone here has this answer, but if I was to purchase direct from Disney at say Copper Creek and I wanted to sell it in 10 years, would that contract have the same restrictions as Rivera and any new DVC that gets built? Would the person who purchases my contract only be able to use it at CC?

seascape

After more research I am still leaning towards resale just based on the cost saving along. I am not sure if anyone here has this answer, but if I was to purchase direct from Disney at say Copper Creek and I wanted to sell it in 10 years, would that contract have the same restrictions as Rivera and any new DVC that gets built? Would the person who purchases my contract only be able to use it at CC?
All resorts prior to Riviera have and will continue to have the right to trade into the old resorts. It is only with the Riviera and future resorts that on resale that you are limited to that resort only. Now. if you only want to buy resale, since you won't be getting any of the Disney benefits except for transportation to and from the parks and free parking at the resort. I think you should look into Bonnet Creek, it is much cheaper than any DVC on resale. I own both, but at the current cost of DVC being over $100 a point on resale a 100 point contract still costs over 10k. You can buy a nice contract at Bonnett Creek for under 1k and the maintenance fees would still be lower. Now, I love DVC so much I have 425 points but I also have lots of Wyndham Points. I find my Wyndham points give me more benefits at a lower cost than DVC does, so since they have so many more resorts and locations than DVC does, I can't justify adding any more DVC points but am considering adding more Wyndham Points via EBAY.

Almost forgot. Be very careful of buying a resort whose Right To Use ends in 2042 if you think you may sell it in the future. The value of points that will end in 2042 will only have 10 years left in 2032 and their value will go down significantly the cliser it gets to 2042. The tripping point hasn't come yet but it will come and sooner than some people think. If you don't care and willl use it, and really want DVC resale is the way to go. Consider an Old Key West 2057 or another resort with a later end dste.

Last edited:

Dr.GrantSeeker

All resorts prior to Riviera have and will continue to have the right to trade into the old resorts. It is only with the Riviera and future resorts that on resale that you are limited to that resort only. Now. if you only want to buy resale, since you won't be getting any of the Disney benefits except for transportation to and from the parks and free parking at the resort. I think you should look into Bonnet Creek, it is much cheaper than any DVC on resale. I own both, but at the current cost of DVC being over $100 a point on resale a 100 point contract still costs over 10k. You can buy a nice contract at Bonnett Creek for under 1k and the maintenance fees would still be lower. Now, I love DVC so much I have 425 points but I also have lots of Wyndham Points. I find my Wyndham points give me more benefits at a lower cost than DVC does, so since they have so many more resorts and locations than DVC does, I can't justify adding any more DVC points but am considering adding more Wyndham Points via EBAY.

Almost forgot. Be very careful of buying a resort whose Right To Use ends in 2042 if you think you may sell it in the future. The value of points that will end in 2042 will only have 10 years left in 2032 and their value will go down significantly the closer it gets to 2042. The tripping point hasn't come yet but it will come and sooner than some people think. If you don't care and will use it, and really want DVC resale is the way to go. Consider an Old Key West 2057 or another resort with a later end date.

Thanks for the tip. I never thought about Bonnet Creek!
Good to know about the DVC contracts though. I was actually thinking about expiration because I was looking at Boulder Ridge and saw it expires in 2042 and thought to myself, well that is not that far away in terms of the cost for BR and the value in a few years. So buying resale with a 2042 expiration is no longer in the question for me. It would be at CC or even BLT. I'm going to keep doing more research!

seascape

Thanks for the tip. I never thought about Bonnet Creek!
Good to know about the DVC contracts though. I was actually thinking about expiration because I was looking at Boulder Ridge and saw it expires in 2042 and thought to myself, well that is not that far away in terms of the cost for BR and the value in a few years. So buying resale with a 2042 expiration is no longer in the question for me. It would be at CC or even BLT. I'm going to keep doing more research!
I did buy 50 points at Copper Creek when it opened. My wife loves Wilderness Lodge so I had to buy it. I have 100 points at the Boardwalk and will keep them until they expire. I would never buy another point at a 2042 resort as they expire in just over 20 years. I will always love my DVC points because with their transition, I can have a drink or 2. If I am going to drink at all and stay of Bonnet Creek, I use Lyft since with my sapphire reserve card I get a 15% discount.

nickys

Premium Member

If you sold CCV, the buyers there would be able to exchange into the 14 “legacy” resorts, but not Riviera, Reflections or any other new ones.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Actually - this can be a very good strategy....

Sandy & I own 300 DIRECT points at BRV. If we had to do this over again? We would do this:

1) Calculate how many points you want, at the DVC Resort YOU WANT TO STAY AT. This is critical: You WANT that 11 month booking window. This is item "A". Please, NEVER depend on the "7 month booking window" :(.
2) Subtract enough DIRECT DVC points to qualify for a Blue Card. This is Item "B".
3) Buy Item "B" Resale FIRST. This establishes your "Use Year". Get your best deal, based on your travel habits.
4) Get this done - then buy DIRECT, same Resort, Same Use Year ("A"-"B"). Nothing is actually "Sold Out" - just ask DVC if they want the money or not :). You MAY have to wait 3-6 months. But unlike Resale, you CAN demand a "Use Year" - and align it with your RESALE "Use Year".

Seanual757

Contracts don't work like that. The entire resort expires at the same time (ignoring the OKW issue), regardless of if you bought it direct or resale. You do not get a "full 50 years" by buying direct, unless at a brand new resort.

Understandable (maybe)

It is still much better to rent out your points and use the cash to pay for a cruise. Much better.

Many of the AP and DVC discounts overlap.

Since you live in FL (you said 20 min away) you can get a Florida AP, which also negates the AP savings you get by owning direct.

Correct I purchased all 3 of ours new so we got the full 50 years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom