Help! To camp or not to camp? In July that is!!!

LVgoN2WDW

Original Poster
My family is considering tent camping at Fort Wilderness in July 2014! Although my 5 children and DH find this exciting it's making me nervous! Does anyone have experience camping there in the dead of summer! What about noise? And bugs? Oh and rain in a tent!??? I would love to hear from anyone with experience about this! The reason we may camp comes down to budget!

Nemo14

Spending the week in a tent in FL in the middle of the hot and humid summer would not be anything I'd consider. And the price for a campsite at that time of year, after taxes is close to $100 per night. For that amount of money, you could rent a condo or home off property that would sleep you all (in beds, even if it rains, like it does nearly every day in the summer in FL). PM me if you would like further details, I'd be happy to help you find a suitable place.

acishere

You have to be extremely tolerant of humidity. Sweat is just going to be pouring off you at night. I can't picture being comfortable and unwinding from a day in the parks in a tent, in Orlando, in July.

If camping is the only on site choice that fits in your budget, I would look into going off site.

You need to be able to recharge your batteries at the end of the night to deal with July at WDW. Being hot and sweaty all night would just put me in a bad mood and that is not how you want to start a day in the parks.

Poofiesdream

I live in Florida and can tell you don't do it! It is very hot with lows in the 80's. It does not cool off much at night! In Orlando you are looking at mid to high 90's days and rain every afternoon. Orlando is inland and there are no sea breezes. Its also hurricane season. Have a great time and spend the money on an air conditioned room!

WWWD

Remember, very few people lived in Central Florida before air conditioning was invented - there's a reason for that. With all the chances of rain in July, you'll have to sleep with your tent's rain fly on - that means even worse sleeping conditions.

Dog Ate Mouse

I Love camping and do it a lot up hear in the Northeast. I cannot picture camping in Fla in July. I have been down there numerous times in July and it is hot and muggy and at time down right oppressive. Your going to the park and then are completely hot. You want to cool off but where, think about this in a nice warm humid tent. You can find hotels around Kisseme/St. Cloud that are afordable and clean. Also take a look on Iternational Drive and see if any of the hotels have any promotions and or discounts going on. Lastly, I was only referring to you being miserable. Now put your children in that situation and see how everyone will sleep at night. I would never discourage anyone from staying at disney no matter what resort. But this is one exception because of the weather conditions (High Heat and Humidity) that you will be encountering and having to endure.

pixiesteno

I have been to Orlando in July, hot and humid. However, it was the same hot and humid here in western NY. Now, would I go to Fort Wilderness and camp tent in July - no way. However, there are other options that would still allow you and your family to camp at Fort Wilderness with a bit more comfort. First and foremost, Fort Wilderness does have lovely air conditioned cabins; but, they are very pricy per night. There are several places that rent RVs (air conditioned) and will take them right to Fort Wilderness and set them up for you, teach you have to use the systems, and then when you are ready to leave for home they come and pick up the RV and remove it from Fort Wilderness. I do not know their name right off as we have our own travel trailer but you should be able to find out about them at fortfiends.net. This would allow your family the pleasure of staying at Fort Wilderness (and it is wonderful) with a bit more comfort than in a tent.

Nemo14

I have been to Orlando in July, hot and humid. However, it was the same hot and humid here in western NY. Now, would I go to Fort Wilderness and camp tent in July - no way. However, there are other options that would still allow you and your family to camp at Fort Wilderness with a bit more comfort. First and foremost, Fort Wilderness does have lovely air conditioned cabins; but, they are very pricy per night. There are several places that rent RVs (air conditioned) and will take them right to Fort Wilderness and set them up for you, teach you have to use the systems, and then when you are ready to leave for home they come and pick up the RV and remove it from Fort Wilderness. I do not know their name right off as we have our own travel trailer but you should be able to find out about them at fortfiends.net. This would allow your family the pleasure of staying at Fort Wilderness (and it is wonderful) with a bit more comfort than in a tent.

The OP stated that their reason for planning a stay in a tent was for budget reasons. Renting an RV would certainly be no savings for them.

DRC68

We towed our camper down from MA in July 10...
Sure, it was hot. Sure it was wikkid humid...to the point where when you got out of the shower and dressed, you needed another shower! I say if you have a tent with AC, do it. Otherwise really think about other arrangements :)

Spikerdink

I love the heat, and the humidity USUALLY does not bother me, but at night I like to sleep with a fan or other relief. The thought of camping in Florida in July is just impossible to see. I just can't see you getting any sleep or relaxation in a tent. Add in family members who are hot, sticky and in desperate need of cooling off and you have all the ingredients necessary for a total hatefest.

That being said, I know there are places that rent RVs close by....not sure of the cost, but it might be within budget and would give you enough comfort that you cease homicidal thoughts....

luv

ITA with Nemo. What you'll pay Disney for a campsite would get you a nice room off the Disney property...and maybe a suite or house.

With the heat, humidity and rain in Florida during the summer, camping seems almost crazy. To me, anyway.

zurgandfriend

I don't mind camping, but tent camping in Florida in the middle of July just sounds miserable. I agree with renting a house or condo off-site. It would probably be around the same price and would be a lot more comfortable.

After a career in the Army I'll never "camp" again, but I have to agree that Florida in July sounds horrible, right below camping during a monsoon on my list of times when not to camp.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Magic:
8113374322_3bd2a51d6d_o.jpg

rob45

Tent camping in July is like being in a steam sauna your entire trip. The heat and humidity along with the daily thunderstorms would keep your tent and everything in it very damp.

minniemickeyfan

I've read on some reviews that some tent sites have had some flash flooding before with those heavy summer downpours. For the price I would look at a value or offsite and save the hassle of not bringing camping gear or buying it if you don't already have it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom