Help...new owner here....

gorebunch

Original Poster
We just became direct DVC owners back in July. We are looking at a trip for Christmas this year and as luck would have it I was able to get 3 nights reserved at Poly for Dec 26-28 (waitlisted for another night). We are still debating on which week to go and I can now see that there is availability for the previous week for 5 nights at SSR for Dec 18-22. Because I have the Poly reservation I would need to borrow from my 2023 points to reserve the SSR stay while we decide.

The way I understand things is that I can go ahead and borrow those 2023 points and if we decide between now and no later than 31 days out we can cancel and those points would be put back in the 2023 points balance.

Am I correct? What am I missing?

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
We just became direct DVC owners back in July. We are looking at a trip for Christmas this year and as luck would have it I was able to get 3 nights reserved at Poly for Dec 26-28 (waitlisted for another night). We are still debating on which week to go and I can now see that there is availability for the previous week for 5 nights at SSR for Dec 18-22. Because I have the Poly reservation I would need to borrow from my 2023 points to reserve the SSR stay while we decide.

The way I understand things is that I can go ahead and borrow those 2023 points and if we decide between now and no later than 31 days out we can cancel and those points would be put back in the 2023 points balance.

Borrowed points cannot be returned to the use year they came from. You are better off to decide where you want to stay, if SSR then cancel the Poly reservation first. Then book SSR.

nickys

Premium Member
@Joe is right that the borrowed points would be stuck in your current use year. What use year do you have?

If you borrowed to book SSR and then decided to cancel it (31 + days ahead) you could switch those borrowed points to the Poly reservation, since it seems to have been made within 7 months. And then bank the current points you used originally for the Poly. Any left over would be stuck. BUT you can only bank up to 4 months before the end of the use year.

Phonedave

As others said, banking and borrowing and permanent transactions. They cannot be reversed.

I think you are confusing points going into holding.

When you cancel a reservation less than 31 days out, the points go into holding. Meaning they have to be used that use year - they cannot be banked. They also cannot be used to make a reservation more than 60 days out. This applies to ALL points - banked, borrowed, and normal.

If you cancel 31 days or more from check in, then your points go back into your general account. - Banked points come back into the use year you banked them into and cannot be banked again, borrowed points go back into the use year you borrowed them into and cannot be banked, and points from the current use year go back to being "normal" points.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom