Help me plan a one day solo trip

Schneewittchen

In the spring of 2016, besides my usual annual visit to WDW, I spent a day at Magic Kingdom by myself before going to a conference in Orlando. I did whatever I wanted, had a table service dinner by myself at Tony's Town Square.

I'm going to have the opportunity to do this again in the spring of 2019. In late April, I'm doing a 10 day trip with my family (DH, DS8, DD6). I expect to do 1 day at HS, 1 day at AK, 2 days at Epcot and 2 days at MK. My parents will come down for the first part of the trip and another family with 2 kids the same age as mine are coming down for the second half of the trip. So we will have plenty of time at each park.

But about a week and half before the big family trip, I'll be going down to Orlando for a conference again. I'm thinking I really might enjoy going to the parks myself without other people ruining it with their wants, needs, opinions, etc. :p

There is a slight possibility that 1 or 2 co-workers might agree to join me in this adventure and thus ruin the solo "do whatever" vibe. I've already convinced 1 co-worker to go to WDW by herself last year and another co-worker to go to DLR by himself as well.

If I go solo, I think it will go something like this:
6 AM - Catch the early flight to MCO, only bring carry-on bags
8:30 AM - Land at MCO
9 AM - Take a black car to my conference resort, check in and dump my bags, take the same black car to a WDW resort (maybe Contemporary or Dolphin) or TTC
10 AM - Walk down Main Street at MK / Meander through the International Gateway at Epcot / Elbow my way past sweaty tourists queued up for Flight of Passage or Slinky Dog.....
10:20 AM - Do some rides
12 PM - Lunch at a sit down restaurant that doesn't serve hot dogs on a stick
1 PM - Do some more rides
7 PM - Dinner at a sit down restaurant that doesn't serve sketti on a paper plate and maybe have a drink
8 PM - Do another couple of rides, have some more drinks and watch some fireworks
11 PM - Collapse at my resort

So, help me:
1. Choose a park (I'm partial to MK or Epcot, but open to a convincing argument)
2. Choose a table service lunch in that park
3. Choose a table service dinner in that park or at an easily accessible resort (walking, monorail, boat, etc. - no bus)

JIMINYCR

I voted MK because its a park that has enough of a variety of rides and entertainment to make a 1 day visit most worthwhile for me. But because you will be back with your family and have the opportunity to go to all the parks it would come down to which one holds the attractions and spots that interests you the most. If you are going to have coworkers visit with you (wether they have or havent done WDW before) then MK is definitely the park to bring them to.

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Sounds like you're going solo right during the height of Easter Break madness. So MK and AK are unlikely choices.
1538932760944.png

That leaves DHS and Epcot. Epcot will be hosting the Flower and Garden Festival, so I'd lean towards that, as DHS will still be dealing with the late construction phase of SW:GE.

Epcot during a festival can be lots of fun, and you don't need to pick a lunch place -- just snack at the booths. If you're adventurous, try Marrakesh in Morocco for dinner.

Upvote 0

winstongator

Sounds like you're going solo right during the height of Easter Break madness. So MK and AK are unlikely choices.
View attachment 318928

That leaves DHS and Epcot. Epcot will be hosting the Flower and Garden Festival, so I'd lean towards that, as DHS will still be dealing with the late construction phase of SW:GE.

Epcot during a festival can be lots of fun, and you don't need to pick a lunch place -- just snack at the booths. If you're adventurous, try Marrakesh in Morocco for dinner.
What date is that picture from?

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

Original Poster
View attachment 318928

You're somewhat right, my family trip will begin the week before Easter and will continue through the week after Easter. I expect it to be a mob scene. This will be our 7th (!!!!!!!!) year in a row to visit during Easter, so we're immune to the crowds.

My solo day will be 2 weeks before Easter and on a Monday, so I guess it might just be regular spring break weekday crowding.

I do love Marrakesh. But I might be tempted to go to the Biergarten just for the entertainment.....

I'm definitely torn now - Soarin/Test Track/Spaceship Earth/Mission Space/Gran Fiesta Tour vs. BTMR/SDMT/Space Mountain/Splash Mountain/PoTC.....

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

Original Poster
I also vote for Epcot. You can probably spend a lot of time there doing things your kids might not be as interested in during your family trip. MK would be my 2nd choice though.
So true, I've never managed to drag them over to Club Cool or really any other part of Innoventions. We're always too busy running to the next ride.

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

Original Poster
I voted MK because its a park that has enough of a variety of rides and entertainment to make a 1 day visit most worthwhile for me. But because you will be back with your family and have the opportunity to go to all the parks it would come down to which one holds the attractions and spots that interests you the most. If you are going to have coworkers visit with you (wether they have or havent done WDW before) then MK is definitely the park to bring them to.
You're right that MK has the most to do. I know I'll have done the opportunity to do a lot if I go there.

And people that have never been to WDW before might really appreciate all of the classics.

Upvote 0

Schneewittchen

Original Poster
I'd be all about Epcot. Flower and Garden is a great time of year to visit. And plentiful dining options both in-park or in the Epcot resorts area.

I haven't done a whole lot of dining in the Epcot resort area. I've been to the old Flying Fish at BoardWalk, Garden Grove Cafe at Swan for a character meal and drinks at a the Crew's Cup Lounge at the Yacht Club.

Any recommendations if I wander over to toward the Yacht or Beach Club?

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I haven't done a whole lot of dining in the Epcot resort area. I've been to the old Flying Fish at BoardWalk, Garden Grove Cafe at Swan for a character meal and drinks at a the Crew's Cup Lounge at the Yacht Club.

Any recommendations if I wander over to toward the Yacht or Beach Club?
High-, middle-, or low-end?

Upvote 0

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
High and middle - but tolerant of resort wear.
We couldn't get into the Ale & Compass when we were there two weeks ago -- I think that speaks highly of its popularity, and you don't hear much about it, which tells me the locals are trying to keep it a secret.
The Dinner Menu

Of course, you could always pencil in an ADR for Beaches & Cream and try the Kitchen Sink all by yourself, too...

Upvote 0

christine7257

Love Ale & Compass—both lounge and restaurant (have only done breakfast, lunch and snacks). Crews Cup still great but now doesn’t open til 4:30. Am still a Flying Fish fan - adore sitting at their bar. Also really like Bluezoo and Il Mulino over at the Swan and Dolphin. Feel like these hotels cater to more business travelers and accept more walk ins (and have reasonably large bars/lounges) which appeals to me when solo and not wanting to be locked into a reservation time. Have fun!!

Upvote 0

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Epcot and MK are both great options which is what makes the choice so hard. You’ll have a great time no matter what you choose. I say just pick one and commit to it- don’t spend your day second guessing yourself. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

MickeyMan36

EPCOT!!!!! Hands down. Look up all of the dining options and pick tow nice restaurants. One for lunch and one for dinner. You could also complete the drinking around the world challenge. One drink at each World Pavilion. If the parks are busy, I feel like Epcot has more to offer in the Wold Showcase. Lots of things to look at while you are drinking..

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom