Help me find a camera

LilSuzy

Original Poster
I own the Canon 40D, beautiful camera, never disappointed with it. However it weighs a ton! Granted at work I use the Nikon D2x and that one is heavier. I'm looking for a good professional camera that doesn't weigh as much as the canon or the nikon D2x :lol:. Any suggestions/recommendations? I really appreciate it.:wave:

RonAnnArbor

Take a look at the new Nikon D7000 -- I've been shooting almost exclusively with it since December, and I rarely, if ever, use my D700 anymore -- the IQ is excellent, the low-light capability better than the D300 (and in reality about the same as the D700)....and it's light and full featured. Very happy with it.

Monorail Lime

Mid-to-high range DSLR cameras, including the Canon 40D, are typically heavy due to their highly durable construction of stainless steel frame and magnesium alloy body. Consumer-grade DSLR cameras use a lighter polycarbonate material. Some photographers prefer a lighter body weight, while others believe heavier bodies feel more solid.

A notable standout is the Canon 60D which is considered a mid-range camera in terms of features but has polycarbonate construction. The Canon 60D a successor to your Canon 40D and has significantly upgraded specifications while retaining the same general controls and feel. It's definitely one you'll want to check out.

Magnesium alloy body:
Nikon D2X - 1070g
Nikon D7000 - 780g
Canon 40D - 740g

Polycarbonate body:
Nikon D90 - 704g
Canon 60D - 675g
Canon Rebel T3i - 515g

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
More weight and pro-cameras go hand in hand, so I don't think you are going to find a lightweight pro-camera.

RonAnnArbor

Depending on your needs, you might want to look at some of the new micro 4/3 cameras....like the Panasonic GF, etc....they have gotten phenomenal reviews and have very high IQ.

Or a top of the line compact.

I use a Panasonic LX5 on Disney trips and have stopped lugging along the dSLR completely and I have been thrilled with the results (and the ability to put the camera in a cargo pants pocket and just go)...

ddbowdoin

Take a look at the new Nikon D7000 -- I've been shooting almost exclusively with it since December, and I rarely, if ever, use my D700 anymore -- the IQ is excellent, the low-light capability better than the D300 (and in reality about the same as the D700)....and it's light and full featured. Very happy with it.

yeah... but cropped to full frame is a major difference in dynamic range, color, and texture of shots

thats where the money comes in, wider.. better pictures

RonAnnArbor

I would argue that -- I could post two photos taken with the D700 and and D7000 and you will see zero difference until you hit very high ISO shots -- in fact, I've already done that in other Nikon forums....

LilSuzy

Original Poster
it does, but its an older camera... that still commands a nice price tag. the d7000 has superior ISO performance for less money.

Ahh, Okay I got it, Time to sell my other camera then and look for the Nikon D7000! Yay! Now I will have a similar camera to the one I use at work everyday. :wave:

CP_alum08

If you carry the camera around your neck, upgrading the strap helps relieve some of the weight. The standard canon/nikon ones are pretty much crap as far as weight distribution. I have an Op-tech and I love it! I've heard endless good things about Black Rapid straps too. Just a thought! Much cheaper alternative than buying a new camera...although, not as much fun :)

LilSuzy

Original Poster
I am so confused...I thought I wanted the Nikon d7000, then I saw the Nikon d5100 and it felt nice and light, but I figured I'd change the lens to the 18-200 AF VR II. Now WDWfigment mentioned he also uses the Nikon d7000, so now I just don't know what to do.:(

NowInc

The D7000 is (in my opinion) a slight step below a "higher end" model. It has a LOT of features and is a much heavier body than you'd prob expect. That being said, it has the same sensor as the D5100. The differences are numerous but also mostly things that a lot of people will never use. (Tho I must admit the dual SD slots is something I can never get rid of).

My personal opinion? Snag a D5100 and then use the extra money to get some good glass.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom